CBS Sport Jason Garrett future with Cowboys: Several factors fueling delayed announcement in Dallas

Rayman70

Reaction score
the next head coach will be a guy like garrett a first time head coach so the jones family can mold him into there image and do what they say with no resistance.
Lincoln riley or tony Elliot? Kellen Moore? lol

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
If Jerry does this he’s going to lose some fans..
Does what? Name him GM or resign him? Jerry stepping down would be worth it IMO. But I just don't see that happening. I just want Jason out as coach. I could care less if he is in the front office.

What I am upset about is how this is playing out. Jerry has done real damage to the relationship with the fans and doesn't seem to care. I have never wished for something bad to happen to someone as I do for Jerry after the past few days. I keep thinking that he is 77 and maybe he will be incapacitated in some way so we don't have to put up with him any longer. Terrible I know.

Dodger12

Reaction score
And after 10 years of mediocrity that interest is still there? I doubt it, but Jerry might still believe it is and Garrett could use that to his advantage.

Of course it's not, if it ever was. How many OC's do you know that went from OC to front office position? I can't think of one. It just doesn't happen like that.

All the fans are being suckered......Garrett's not going anywhere and if he really thought he was a hot commodity, he'd want to let teams know he's leaving sooner, rather than later, so he can get a job. But he won't take a job with any accountability. That's not his MO....Not now, not ever. It wasn't with Wade, it wasn't with Reeves, it wasn't with Linehan, it wasn't Rob Ryan, and I can go on and on. He's a coward that will throw his people, both coaches and players, under the bus rather than take the heat and/or accept responsibility.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So if this is the case and JG is retained until the 14th, why are we not seeing reports of Old Jer interviewing possible replacements. Secret trips on the yacht with college/pro coaches. Meetings on the private jet on the tarmac at DFW hashing out contract details? If JG is out the door, why aren't they at least kicking tires and starting the search?
I'm not sure you can officially start a new search until the position is officially declared open.

links18

Reaction score
Of course it's not, if it ever was. How many OC's do you know that went from OC to front office position? I can't think of one. It just doesn't happen like that.

All the fans are being suckered......Garrett's not going anywhere and if he really thought he was a hot commodity, he'd want to let teams know he's leaving sooner, rather than later, so he can get a job. But he won't take a job with any accountability. That's not his MO....Not now, not ever. It wasn't with Wade, it wasn't with Reeves, it wasn't with Linehan, it wasn't Rob Ryan, and I can go on and on. He's a coward that will throw his people, both coaches and players, under the bus rather than take the heat and/or accept responsibility.

Yep, he is milking the credulous Jones' for all they are worth still today and we the fans are the ones who suffer.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how the man has made so much money in his lifetime.

He made money because he's a businessman, not a football guy. He's neither a good owner or a GM. But he's marketed the "brand." He's sold socks, jerseys, hats, mugs, and anything he could get his brand on. He was a big proponent of the salary cap knowing it would keep costs down and make the league (ie: Jerry) more money. He negotiated TV deals, naming rights, commercial partnerships with the Cowboys brand, etc. And all this being a football failure.

Let me ask you this...do you guys think George Steinbrenner would advocate for a baseball salary cap? He was a winner...he wanted to win and everything else was secondary. Jerry just wants to make money and market his brand, the one that Landry, Tex and Schramm built.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I'll do you one better. John Lynch never held a coaching position in the NFL and goes straight into a position as the 49ers GM. :omg:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jerry held on to Dez too long & Screwed him. Jerry held on to Room too long & almost screwed him (CBS to the rescue). Now Garrett, what if he hold son just long enough until all the head coach jobs are gone & then offers no job
He can't hold Garrett long. Garrett's contract is up January 14. If he doesn't sign with the Cowboys, he's free to pursue any position in the NFL.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I'll do you one better. John Lynch never held a coaching position in the NFL and goes straight into a position as the 49ers GM. :omg:

Good call. Really good call. And you can add Elway to list. Former pro-bowl players and HOF'ers are revered. How many folks have mentioned Aikman for GM and/or Romo as HC?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
What does "too late" mean.
I don't understand...
They should have a comprehensive look at the team from top to bottom and have a plan not just patch this and that it won't work.They always hold on to players for too long.

Doomsay

Reaction score
This stupid love story is a sideshow impeding what should be the team's primary objective - finding a winning head coach. It's really akin to a mentally ill monarch acting without recourse to please his personal whims.

Scotman

Reaction score
I know this would NEVER happen, but what if Jerry stepped aside and made JG GM or asst. GM?

Would you...could you...live with that?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I'm surprised senile Jerrah hasn't put Kellen Moore as head coach .

Put that final nail in the coffin .

Doomsay

Reaction score
And after 10 years of mediocrity that interest is still there? I doubt it, but Jerry might still believe it is and Garrett could use that to his advantage.
Jerry himself, has incrementally stripped away most of Garrett's influence on football operations to the point where he is just a mid week motivator. Why would Jerry think that any other team would want this guy, in any capacity? Totally delusional.

links18

Reaction score
Jerry himself, has incrementally stripped away most of Garrett's influence on football operations to the point where he is just a mid week motivator. Why would Jerry think that any other team would want this guy, in any capacity? Totally delusional.

Jerry wants to put him somewhere in the organization, where he can say, '"See, my boy succeeded; my investment paid off. I know what I am doing." Even if he failed as a head coach. Of course, Jerry will never really admit that he failed. If the next coach comes in and wins; Jerry will point to all the prep work Garrett did over the last decade in setting the tone and culture. He can't do that with Garrett in another organization. Even if there is no real interest from other teams, it is what Jerry fears most right now.