CBS Sports: Cowboys shift focus to signing Cooper before free agency starts

tm1119

Reaction score
It must be 2021 when the big jump takes place. But if you know that, you can use creative accounting to make deals based on that information and future numbers.

What are you reading that makes you think that the cap would ever increase $100M in 1 season? Sounds extremely unlikely...to put it nicely

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So after meeting with Dak's agent they realized that Daks deal was going to be more challenging than Amari's
Correct. Plus, Jerry & Stephen are running out of time, especially if the NFLPA agrees to the new CBA contract which would limit each team to only 1 tag...starting this 2020 season. So, it's better/easier to focus on signing Amari Cooper before the start of free agency, thus leaving the Cowboys with the franchise tag to use on Dak in case they need more time to get his deal done without risk of losing him.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless he's interested in a paycut and backup role, I don't expect Heath back.

All of the people that inexplicably 'loved him' are gone.
He's still good on ST's though, even if he's no longer a starter at SS. Question is, can we afford to keep him for just ST and backup SS?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reports are coming out that under the new CBA, salary caps are expected to rise by $100 million. The time to get deals done is before that new benchmark is set, not after. After it's done every player in the league will be raising up their asking price and you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't get your players locked in ahead of it.
Where is that coming from? Gambling? What I read about the TV nets was that they were not looking to up their ante. The expense of doing the games has increased and the audience levels have not to the point of getting their cost per point up with the agencies.

Do we not think that the ad agencies, and therefore the Nets, are not hearing the complaints about the additional stops and commercial breaks? Add to this, viewers are time shifting these live games, which I will start doing this year. It has become a pain in the *** to try and watch a football game and keep any continuity going.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's still good on ST's though, even if he's no longer a starter at SS. Question is, can we afford to keep him for just ST and backup SS?

I'd keep him for special teams and a backup role sure, at the commensurate level of pay. If that's agreeable to him? Welcome back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is that coming from? Gambling? What I read about the TV nets was that they were not looking to up their ante. The expense of doing the games has increased and the audience levels have not to the point of getting their cost per point up with the agencies.

Do we not think that the ad agencies, and therefore the Nets, are not hearing the complaints about the additional stops and commercial breaks? Add to this, viewers are time shifting these live games, which I will start doing this year. It has become a pain in the *** to try and watch a football game and keep any continuity going.

I think gambling adds to it as well, but mostly from the 17th game and new TV deals.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...om-next-wave-of-tv-deals-if-theyre-done-soon/

"Some are agreeing to disagree on whether waiting a year to finalize a new CBA will shrink the potentially gigantic return the NFL will realize under its next wave of TV contract. Setting that question aside, here’s the reality: The NFL currently expects a huge cash influx from the next wave of TV deals, if those deals can be done in the immediate future.

Although everything remains tentative because official negotiations have yet to begin, the addition of a 17th game plus the ongoing ability of the NFL to attract and to hold enormous audiences together is expected to generate at least an extra $100 million. Per team. Per year.

That’s $3.2 billion in total dollars. And with the players getting 48.5 percent of that amount (surely, there are some joint expenses the league will be able to take off the top, but not nearly as many as in the past — more on that issue in a later post), that’s an extra $1.552 billion for the players. And with 55 players per roster under a 17-game scenario, that’s more than $880,000 extra. Per player. Per year."

lockster

Reaction score
That disappearing act and pouting has me worried. Unless he was lying about his health. I heard some ex players saying he was for sure dealing with injuries and couldn’t cut the way he usually did.
I think he needs a good butt whooping to make up for his performance, don't work hard attitude. I think it was a lack of work ethic. How do U not go over to the sidelines trying to check Ur legs out , and tape them , instead of just standing there. Kills me watching that like of horse dung he left on the field. If he was hurt, he or the trainer's need to speak up, because that was some of the worst actions I've seen from a supposedly professional on the field ever. He needs to go have a talk with dick butkus, Charles Haley about playing hurt.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think he needs a good butt whooping to make up for his performance, don't work hard attitude. I think it was a lack of work ethic. How do U not go over to the sidelines trying to check Ur legs out , and tape them , instead of just standing there. Kills me watching that like of horse dung he left on the field. If he was hurt, he or the trainer's need to speak up, because that was some of the worst actions I've seen from a supposedly professional on the field ever. He needs to go have a talk with dick butkus, Charles Haley about playing hurt.
What made me mad was he was asked about it towards the end of the year and said he was as healthy as he had been all year. If so then what the heck was that pouting act on the sidelines. If he got shut down he left the field. They said he was rotated off. Was someone else’s turn on the field.

Brax

Reaction score

maybe he is another of Jerry's son's like Dak??????

Creeper

Reaction score
Reports are coming out that under the new CBA, salary caps are expected to rise by $100 million. The time to get deals done is before that new benchmark is set, not after. After it's done every player in the league will be raising up their asking price and you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't get your players locked in ahead of it.

Do you have a link to these reports? If the CAP goes up $100 million that's $3.2 billion for all 32 teams. Since the cap is based on revenues, where do they expect this revenue to come from? If the owners agree to a 50/50 split they would need to increase revenues by almost $6 billion! With an extra $100 million the Cowboys should have no problems signing everyone and then some.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Drink more Coach. :lmao2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you have a link to these reports? If the CAP goes up $100 million that's $3.2 billion for all 32 teams. Since the cap is based on revenues, where do they expect this revenue to come from? If the owners agree to a 50/50 split they would need to increase revenues by almost $6 billion! With an extra $100 million the Cowboys should have no problems signing everyone and then some.

Yes, see post #48 in this thread.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe the C'boys' FO is hoping to offer enough to tempt Cooper to dissuade him from seekng other offers? :omg:
Well, good luck with that . . .:laugh:

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reports are coming out that under the new CBA, salary caps are expected to rise by $100 million. The time to get deals done is before that new benchmark is set, not after.
Exactly!

That why I don't understand all the bickering around Dak's deal being so high. The overall % of the salary cap his deal will represent won't be a crippling number that prevents the Cowboys from signing more FA's.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Money won't be an issue. It's roster spot. Does he earn one? If they look to upgrade the secondary, the answer is no.