Video: CBS Sports HQ: The Cowboys Plan with the 10th Pick

visionary

Reaction score
Because all the CBs on our roster are superstars?

because

1. real defenses are built via front 7 and FS play.

2. Great front 7 and safety play makes the CBs look much better

3. we have absolute garbage at DT, LB, and FS

4. We have decent NFL caliber starters at CB

5. Good CB options will be available with our rd 2 and rd 3 picks

6. Surtain and Horn are way over-rated with warts and would not be top 10 picks most years. Horn would not be a top 15 pick if Farley had been healthy even this year.

Techsass

Reaction score
because

6. Surtain and Horn are way over-rated with warts and would not be top 10 picks most years. Horn would not be a top 15 pick if Farley had been healthy even this year.
I almost agree with you.

1st off we have to work with this year's draft. What DL is a top 10 pick? Same thing for FS. I'll give you Parsons as a top 10 front 7 pick, but we'll probably have to move up to get him & I don't think MLB is actually worth that.

I don't think Brown or Lewis are true starting caliber CBs, at least not high end starters. Diggs is still in the potential stage of his career, even if I expect him to end up closer to great than good eventually.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
because

I agree that front 7 is the way to build a defense, but there are no DTs or LBs besides Parsons worth #10. And I’ve been wanting a good FS for years.

I disagree that Surtain is overrated. He is a good athlete with elite size for the position, and has the technical aspects of playing CB down incredibly well for someone so young.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree that front 7 is the way to build a defense, but there are no DTs or LBs besides Parsons worth #10. And I’ve been wanting a good FS for years.

I disagree that Surtain is overrated. He is a good athlete with elite size for the position, and has the technical aspects of playing CB down incredibly well for someone so young.

Surtain looked great because Alabama has great DL every year that pressure the QB. Surtain did not do the agility drills, why? Simply because he knows the numbers are not good

Surtain has good technique but he is not a top 10 CB. He’s not much better than Diggs and there is minimal drop off between him and Newsome who will be available between 20-35. I’m not saying take Newsome. I’m saying Surtain is not a top 10 pick CB

EST_1986

Reaction score
Ppl keep sayin Sewell I get it best o line generation talent but do we draft him to wait until Tyron or Collins get injuried or can he play guard so confused
Tyron is probably in the training room as we speak

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Surtain looked great because Alabama has great DL every year that pressure the QB. Surtain did not do the agility drills, why? Simply because he knows the numbers are not good

Surtain has good technique but he is not a top 10 CB. He’s not much better than Diggs and there is minimal drop off between him and Newsome who will be available between 20-35. I’m not saying take Newsome. I’m saying Surtain is not a top 10 pick CB
Really?? Name me the first round linebackers and defensive lineman that Surtain has played with the last three seasons. Alabama has been good recently because of their offense. Two first round quarterbacks and four first round receivers. Also having the best coach in the history of college football is not to bad either.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

I forgot that elite athleticism is the most important factor of being an elite NFL player.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I agree. Walker was impressive and had an answer and tons of information on every question asked. He was well prepared.

I have to think he was wrong ranking Washington that high. I have to think there are better options at #44.

I would love to see us grab Surtain at 10 and then trade up to 25-32 range and snag Moehrig. Agree that Washington is too high on Walker’s list

visionary

Reaction score
I forgot that elite athleticism is the most important factor of being an elite NFL player.

first of all that’s not what I said but the fact is that I would guess most great top 10 non QB players had elite athleticism for their position

When you are taking someone top 10 you are expecting long term greatness not mediocrity

Can you explain why he refused to do the agility drills? You won’t because the reason is obvious.

Bigdog

Reaction score
It should be

1 - Sewell
2 - Surtain
3 - Slater
4 - Horn
That would be my order also but I might just switch Slater and Horn. I am liken the idea of getting Walter Little from Stanford in the 3rd if he last that long if Sewell doesn’t fall to us by some miracle.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree. Walker was impressive and had an answer and tons of information on every question asked. He was well prepared.

I have to think he was wrong ranking Washington that high. I have to think there are better options at #44.
Also first Ive heard of them being interested in Grant. Walker's info tends to be more consistent than Fisher's

Qcard

Reaction score
If Dallas were to trade back in the first & take a LB or trade up from 44, that would make a bit more sense. But at 10, it would be a mistake to take a LB when you could potentially find your next middle LB at 44 or beyond.

You stick to taking the player at the more valuable positions.
I agree LB is too steep at 10th Pick.

But, I think the Cowboys select the best “Defensive QB” and leader in this draft Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah “JOK” with their 1st RD pick.

I also think they double down and select Zaven Collins LB at 44th Pick

reddyuta

Reaction score
ideally i dont want to pick a CB at 10 either but this draft is thin at the top and CB maybe the best player available at 10.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree LB is too steep at 10th Pick.

But, I think the Cowboys select the best “Defensive QB” and leader in this draft Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah “JOK” with their 1st RD pick.

I also think they double down and select Zaven Collins LB at 44th Pick
Collins isn’t making it past the 20s

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That TE does!

What kind of stats is he going to put up on our team? I keep asking you Pitts guys to give me an idea of what you would expect out of Pitts in our offense and none of you can answer it. You all just seem enamored by a great offensive talent and dont put much thought into how he fits here or what this team needs or doesnt need.