Video: CBS Sports: Jason La Canfora - Dak wanted Franchise Tag Language removed

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
You got it right with the last sentence. This has nothing to do with Dak wanting to know that he is "their guy", it's about going back into FA again as soon as possible so he can cash in. I do not want to pay Dak anywhere near $40m/yr. He's just not worth it from what I have seen. Tag him, trade him, roll with someone else. This team needs an overhaul on defense which, while not impossible, is definitely harder to do with a highly paid QB.

No athlete is worth millions, much less $40 mill.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Just read a tweet that as of today, they can't even afford to tag him.......so you're right, something got to give.

this is correct, they're something like 25 mil under, so they'd have to clear 12 mil off their salary to tag him. So, if you see restructures being made, the tag may be coming. If you don't, then maybe they are negotiating hard.

Restructures could be seen in this way as putting pressure on Dak's agent to come to the table. Both sides must give a bit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just read a tweet that as of today, they can't even afford to tag him.......so you're right, something got to give.

I think as a last resort they can tag him and will if need be, it will require restructuring of some current deal but I do think they can if push comes to shove. However I tend to think that something will be done longterm but as always the devil is in the details of a contract

Loso86

Reaction score
I don't believe that having language included excluding the use of another franchise tag is an unreasonable ask by Prescott and his people. Nor is asking for the inclusion of a no trade clause as well.

If he is "your" guy, commit to him. They have played their hand regarding him since his rookie year. So, as long as the numbers are reasonable enough to still have room to field a talented team around him, and the years are agreeable enabling the team to spread his cap hit...add the language and get it over with. If he isn't your guy...tag and trade him and move on.

As an aside, knowing he wants this language leads me to presume that Prescott won't budge on wanting a shorter deal so he can test the market again sooner rather than later.
Yea except for the team it takes away leverage and multiple options

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I will never forgive the Cowboys for not getting a deal with Dak done in 2018.
You couldn't give him a deal then that Dak would have signed.

It's not like you were going to get him at 4x$100. Besides, they'd be doing this next year anyway, if that was the case.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think as a last resort they can tag him and will if need be, it will require restructuring of some current deal but I do think they can if push comes to shove. However I tend to think that something will be done longterm but as always the devil is in the details of a contract

Actually, if the floor is where they left off last year, getting the long-deal done now shouldn't be that hard.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Actually, if the floor is where they left off last year, getting the long-deal done now shouldn't be that hard.

I recall Dak comments after being tagged that evidently the 2 sides were not that far apart. One thing I did like was Dak did not cop an attitude over being tagged as some players have in the past.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Without a long-term deal by March 9, Dallas will tag Dak for the second straight year & it will cost $37.7 million against the cap.

It would also set in motion the likelihood that 2021 could be Dak's final season in Dallas.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak and his agent are about as greedy as it gets.

That's their right.

I just wish the Jones's wouldn't give in to this like we all know they will.. This fake hardball they play only screws us over worse.

At this point if you don't get rid of Dak you got played bigtime and we are a worse team for it thanks to you not getting this done years ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this begins to drag out as it did last year, I hope some talking head asks this question.

If Prescott was really going to sign the deal last year but the deadline beat him, what's the hold up? Are they offering substantially less? Or was that a fabrication to make him look better to the fans?

I believe him, because I do not believe him to be that type of person, so I think this deal gets done quickly but Booger will try to max the media jabber before they do it. That's as important as getting him signed to him.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Dak and the Cowboys are fighting over leverage.

I thought all along Dak plays on the Tag after the injury. Now he has to prove he can still play at a high level. I think Dak will cave, the injury changed everything.

Really messy
I’ll bet you a case of Shiner he doesn’t cave.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If this begins to drag out as it did last year, I hope some talking head asks this question.

If Prescott was really going to sign the deal last year but the deadline beat him, what's the hold up? Are they offering substantially less? Or was that a fabrication to make him look better to the fans?

I believe him, because I do not believe him to be that type of person, so I think this deal gets done quickly but Booger will try to max the media jabber before they do it. That's as important as getting him signed to him.
I watched the replay of the Falcons game in week 2 and he makes some really s****y throws to wide open guys. It’s time to part ways and do something different.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Honestly, my patient starting to run real thin with Dak and France and I'm 100% pro-Dak.
I grew impatient with Jerry and co. when they let this happen. The longer they prolong this the more outrageous the demands will get. Though I'll be honest as of right now I don't think what they are asking for is that crazy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well obviously. But if you look at the situation objectively, you see both sides are kind of in a bind. One has to budge, and neither has shown any inclination to do that
No argument there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched the replay of the Falcons game in week 2 and he makes some really s****y throws to wide open guys. It’s time to part ways and do something different.
I have no problem with that either.

Once you accept the fact that this team is really not going anywhere, there player dramas become less effective. I do not think he is taking this team to the Big Dance so why not make a change?