Video: CBS Sports: Jason La Canfora - Dak wanted Franchise Tag Language removed

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I don't believe that having language included excluding the use of another franchise tag is an unreasonable ask by Prescott and his people. Nor is asking for the inclusion of a no trade clause as well.

If he is "your" guy, commit to him. They have played their hand regarding him since his rookie year. So, as long as the numbers are reasonable enough to still have room to field a talented team around him, and the years are agreeable enabling the team to spread his cap hit...add the language and get it over with. If he isn't your guy...tag and trade him and move on.

As an aside, knowing he wants this language leads me to presume that Prescott won't budge on wanting a shorter deal so he can test the market again sooner rather than later.

It appears that the team wants Dak to make all concessions, lower annual, more years, etc, but aren't budging on the language? Dak wants more control over his career and he should. You want 5 years? ok, no franchise tag, and don't trade me. Make the commitment to me, like you want me to commit to you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  1. Tag Dak.
  2. Trade up in the draft and take Zack Wilson.
You know what's it's going to take to get from 10 to 2? I am thinking besides their 10 pick, either Gallup or Lamb, and maybe even a 2nd this year or a 1st next.

I think there is going to be stiff competition to get into position to get him. There are quite a few QB people that have him above Lawrence as NFL ready. And one of those might be PHL.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Ok, then sign a 6 year deal.
That makes no sense for either side. Signing bonus can only be spread over 5 years anyway. If the Cowboys want to restructure the deal, they can add more years later. There is no benefit to the 6th year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I grew impatient with Jerry and co. when they let this happen. The longer they prolong this the more outrageous the demands will get. Though I'll be honest as of right now I don't think what they are asking for is that crazy.
Not comparatively speaking and considering where the cap is headed.

Every agent is aware of how the NFL is trying to hold up the TV nets and streamers. It won't take long for 40M to be the average.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Step 1) Tag n Trade Dak.
Step 2) Jerry sells the team.
Step 3) Super Bowl !!!
Step 4) wake from the dream and watch as the Cowboys go 8-8 with overpaid players and Jerry laughs all the way to the bank.

Steps 1 leaves you with 19 ppg and 27 ppg for offense and defense respectively.

The goal should be to flip those numbers not entrench them.

Sydla

Reaction score
5 years no franchise tag clause. Get it done

Brady had that clause too with the Pats so its been done before.

Tom Brady when he got that concession was a MVP and SB champ.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I agree I don't think actors or musicians are worth the money they get paid but they do.

Depends on their originality for me. Imagine Mozart or Beethoven living today composing new pieces.. What price can be put on that? To hear a genius create something fresh & original.

Sydla

Reaction score
It appears that the team wants Dak to make all concessions, lower annual, more years, etc, but aren't budging on the language? Dak wants more control over his career and he should. You want 5 years? ok, no franchise tag, and don't trade me. Make the commitment to me, like you want me to commit to you.

Or one could argue Dak wants all the concessions that benefit him without having to give anything to the Cowboys.

jrumann59

Reaction score
we can look in the mirror it can be said it could also be the other way around. Less years, more AAV, no Franchise tags and no trade clause.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I grew impatient with Jerry and co. when they let this happen. The longer they prolong this the more outrageous the demands will get. Though I'll be honest as of right now I don't think what they are asking for is that crazy.

This is my point, when you're going to make the kind of money he's looking at ($37m+) and arguing over technical issues/language ( 4 years vs 5 or tag vs no tag ) we're hearing, it starts to push the envelope a bit.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No athlete is worth millions, much less $40 mill.
Yes, they are. As long as the fans are willing to buy the tickets and the TV nets willing to pay the freight, it is the players they are coming to see. And ion today's NFL, that begins with the QB.

Isn't paying an actor 25-30M for one film a little whack? But that actor brings bodies to the theater just like these players do.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If you are tagging him a 2nd time you might as well do the non-exclusive tag. There is no downside there if he is playing on a tag in 2021 anyway. The relationship will be fractured either way and maybe you get 2 first.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Depends on their originality for me. Imagine Mozart or Beethoven living today composing new pieces.. What price can be put on that? To hear a genius create something fresh & original.

I'm sure someone can put a price on anything. While I share your views on Mozart and Beethoven not everyone would feel the same. In the end entertainers are paid big money and that includes sports figures be it NFL, baseball, basketball, soccer or any other professional sports. Between contracts and endorsement deals these people make big money.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
I will never forgive the Cowboys for not getting a deal with Dak done in 2018.
They have peed the bed at this point. You either have to do it at this point or start over. If you tag him again, are you really going to get his best foot forward?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

This is my point, when you're going to make the kind of money he's looking at ($37m+) and arguing over technical issues/language ( 4 years vs 5 or tag vs no tag ) we're hearing, it starts to push the envelope a bit.
I just don't know man....to me 4 or 5 years seems standard negotiating. Not wanting to get tagged again seems standard too. These players already don't have guaranteed contracts. I can understand trying to protect yourself as much as you can because Jerry and co. are trying to do the same.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So he gets his 4 years and no franchise tag, and his asking price. No thanks. A negotiations are a give and take, I would do it this way if he wants all Franchise tags off the table he would need to sign for 5 in the 37m AAV, other wise if he wants 4 years or higher than 37m AAV exclusive franchise is off the table but non-exclusive is still there. If he wants more money and less years franchise him and look to trade him.
Dak and his agent overplaying their hand again like last year which resulted in the worst possible outcome for Dak- a serious injury with no guarantees.

If Dak does not sign the deal the Cowboys offer him this year it is truly the dumbest mistake ever! Trumps the second dumbest ever which was not signing the deal last year!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not comparatively speaking and considering where the cap is headed.

Every agent is aware of how the NFL is trying to hold up the TV nets and streamers. It won't take long for 40M to be the average.
I agree. Which is why I Want this deal to get done as soon as possible. What looks big now in 2 or 3 years won't be.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This front office is a complete joke.
That's really the story here. It is their rep for rolling over for stars that caused France to hold his ground. Why wouldn't he? Is there not a better front office for him to get his name out there? There are thousands of people, and a lot of them NFL players, that know the name Todd France now.

What's amusing is to see some ranting about his silence not being negotiating. That is the single most effective weapon in negotiating. He ignores them while Booger & Son sit on the boat asking "why doesn't he call, Daddy"?