CBS Sports: Top FA LBs

fivetwos

Reaction score
Id luv him. We really need 2 guys in free agency, not he bargain basement guys either. Tranquill and White both should be in the middle price range. Affordable as heck. White wasn't even starting for Tampa much this year. Hes got 2 good years left I think.
Wait…he wasn’t starting? What happened there? If he in in serious decline mode it’s news to me and changes things.

Thing with him, is there’s a leadership spot needed on this defense and he fits the bill, similar to what Wagner could have provided two years ago.

Maybe that inspires him. The talent is there and he isn’t all that old yet….lotta miles on him but you’re looking for two good seasons is all.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Couple things
** Just read a nugget that this free agent cycle is loaded with LBers and S's. So we should be able to get a good one reasonable
** The player I want isn't on this list....yet and that's Fred Warner. His contract suggests he is likely going to restructure, take a pay cut or be released.
**Just me, but I would much rather find our starting MLBer via free agency than the draft.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/fred-warner-25169/
??

Doesn’t look like a very strong class to me. If not for the Ravens coming on strong late in the year, there might not even be a young stud available.

I’m fine with their 2 picks for us, Gay and Wagner. Need to surround The roster with free agents who have been to several Super Bowls.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There are some names that we won't sniff - Queen for example - given the cost. But there are some interesting names on there - Jewell is one mentioned here by myself and others.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...st-team-fits-projected-contract-compensation/
give me Lavante David, Bobby Wagner and if not those two then Al Shaair.

David and Wagner older, but both have experience for a team that's all in, with a short window. that also means we draft LBs and groom. we also will have Overshown and Clark as back ups and people they can learn from.

al-Shaair is smaller, but physical. I am not high on Luvu, he has size, but couldn't do much in Jets, but is a star for a crappy team.

with Parsons contract looming both wagner and david are reasonable and can be a one year, two year players

Rayman70

Reaction score
If we are all being honest 100%, we need 3 Bonafide starters at linebacker because we have 0 right now. Clark is terrible and regressed. He is a rotational guy at best. LVE is on his way to retirement. Yes we still better draft a linebacker, but we need an entirely new linebacker room. This will be a tall task for Mike Zimmer and the staff finding these guys....in 1 off season. DQ and McClay ignored the need and so did Chemical Degree Boy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Wait…he wasn’t starting? What happened there? If he in in serious decline mode it’s news to me and changes things.

Thing with him, is there’s a leadership spot needed on this defense and he fits the bill, similar to what Wagner could have provided two years ago.

Maybe that inspires him. The talent is there and he isn’t all that old yet….lotta miles on him but you’re looking for two good seasons is all.
yeah That makes me wonder about White as well. Why wasn't he starting? He was healthy, but they went with a younger guy. Maybe he dropped off? Don't think I'd start White all 17 games. Id spell him. Here's what we do know, we need bodies, alot of them at linebacker. Everything should be on the table .

Sandyf

Reaction score
I believe there are four guys that fit what Zimmer wants in his ILB/MLB guy and they are Brooks, Gay, White and Wagner with White probably being the most expensive of the bunch. I like Wagner but would opt for either Brooks or Gay as younger guys and just as productive.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I doubt they sign any FA LB untill after the draft unless they just get a heck of a deal/super cheap. LVE is on the final year of his deal and they will want a young guy to groom to take over if not be a day 1 starter. They'll target the draft 1st then sign whatever they still need after.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Fred Warner would be awesome if we could land him. I still would want another linebacker in free agency as we are void of starting caliber guys and the draft isn't what I call great . Draft Cooper and land Warner, that would be great. Nice start at least. Throw Tranquill into the mix too.
Fred Warner is Daks Kyrptonite…49ers lost greenlaw and lost the SB

They are not dumb like us and will ask chardavius ward to fill in for Fred while he gets paid elsewhere

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Devin White seems like exactly what’s needed in the middle.

At some point the “too expensive” crap has to end and get the players they need instead of worrying about cap problems that are inevitable either way.
Hey hey hey you're on fire today!!!!! Agreed

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Couple things
** Just read a nugget that this free agent cycle is loaded with LBers and S's. So we should be able to get a good one reasonable
** The player I want isn't on this list....yet and that's Fred Warner. His contract suggests he is likely going to restructure, take a pay cut or be released.
**Just me, but I would much rather find our starting MLBer via free agency than the draft.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/fred-warner-25169/
Lol lol lol yeah right if they let him go!!!! If we're not all over that in a ken Norton kind of team swap then this team is nuts for real!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being quasi realistic I want luvu…I don’t think 10m for a lineback is ridiculous and imo there’s no reason the cowboys can’t get him if he hit the market but that’s me. Rushes the qb, stops the run, sideline to sideline player, tackles hard, has an intensity to him. He’s not great in coverage but adequate enough and with our pass rush and secondary I think he’ll be fine.

Now, what does Dallas? Probably someone in the 4-5 range, which kind of sucks. I’d be fine with Jewell but he’s like in that 6-7 range.
I’d add I’d rather put top money into a Watkins or jones or even a Stewart however before a linebacker….but I know those 3 won’t be available to us.
Sorry I hear you but damn look at how bad we were, it's time to stop being so cheap!!!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
yeah That makes me wonder about White as well. Why wasn't he starting? He was healthy, but they went with a younger guy. Maybe he dropped off? Don't think I'd start White all 17 games. Id spell him. Here's what we do know, we need bodies, alot of them at linebacker. Everything should be on the table .
I’d bother to look into it if there were any shot we would ever make that kind of move.

If he hasn’t declined on the field, he would come in with a ring and respect and be the immediate leader this defense desperately needs, and Parsons seems to be begging for.

But we know the kid is gonna say it’s too much money and the cap is real. Funny how he is the only GM who can’t seem to get around that.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Sign B-Wagz, Gay and draft a LB on day 2. Along with Overshown, Clark and possibly LVE, LB position would be in decent shape. I think Bell moves back to S and replaces Kearse.

Rayman70

Reaction score
at some point,Wagner will hit the wall. That said, hes vastly better than anybody we have on the roster. That says alot about how damn bad DQ and McClay were finding linebackers.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Shaq Barrett is available, released by Bucs.
yep, another guy that makes us better day 1. There will be no more excuses for the Joneses in not fixing this team. We have plenty of linebackers sitting there for the taking.