Cedric Benson

ghst187

Reaction score
I hope all of you UT homers will now stop talking about us drafting Cedric Benson..

As I watched OU beat UT for the 5th straight time, I realized what I thought would be all along, that Benson would be a very very distant second best RB in the game. The best RB in the game was a true freshman. In fact, Benson might have been the third best RB in the game.
Benson may or may not end up being the top RB in the next draft class but it will only be by default. You can go back and find my quote from another thread..."Benson racks up huge yards against patsies and virtually disappears (and fumbles) against quality opponents."

That said, Rod Wright and Derrick Johnson are VERY good. DJ is just about as good as advertised, what an athlete! Rod Wright could probably use another year in school to finish developing but he is a stud. He kinda reminds me of Leon Lett. He's huge, over 300 but looks lean and agile. He could add weight if he needed. He didn't make a ton of plays but a few and OU got almost all of their rushing yards running outside the tackles.

Mac Brown....sooooooooooo owned!

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Hopefully that will shut up the Benson homers. Adrian Peterson is a REAL RB. Benson is great versus the likes of UNT and Rice. Just watched the game and the proof unfolded before our eyes. Sorry Texas fans!! ;)

ddh33

Reaction score
Benson has always been a little overrated in my mind. I just don't care too much for him.

Peterson is a stud though. What's scary is that he still has a lot to learn.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I don't care who it is, but Dallas needs to bring in insurance at RB unless Lee really shows something. The jury is out on Julius and RB needs to get fixed. Eddie George isn't the answer.

A draft pick? Lamont Jordan? I don't know, but it needs to be addressed I think.

Madzo

The Gunshow
Reaction score
Never seen Benson play one down on tv. When I finally did, he fumbles.

VirusX

Reaction score
Its funny how quickly people drop off of the JJ is the Next Emmitt bus as soon as he goes down. It annoys me all the bangwagon beaches jumping on and off. Tired of the quakes. Look at Mt.St. Helens. Its getting stired up by all the bangwagoners jummping around.

Waffle

Reaction score
VirusX said:
Its funny how quickly people drop off of the JJ is the Next Emmitt bus as soon as he goes down. It annoys me all the bangwagon beaches jumping on and off. Tired of the quakes. Look at Mt.St. Helens. Its getting stired up by all the bangwagoners jummping around.
While your assessment may be accurate for some posters here, I was only pointing out how overrated Benson is. You won't find me near Mt. St. Helens as it's still WAY too early to write JJ off yet. Irvin was drafted in '88, but he didn't have a Pro-Bowl season until '91 after sustaining injuries in his early seasons.

VirusX

Reaction score
I agree. I think JJ has a bad start on his hopfully long career. I just think the bandwagon'ers need to settle down with the OH WE NEED A RB with the first round pick next year. Portis was a 2nd rounder and he isnt the worst RB in the league JJ was a 2nd round pick and people expected him the be the next emmitt until he got hurt. On the benson subject I agree. Except for UT Linemen almost all UT players are overrated. Defensive players are an exception along with Roy Williams (Who was not utilized at UT)

GeneralPatton

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I hope all of you UT homers will now stop talking about us drafting Cedric Benson..

As I watched OU beat UT for the 5th straight time, I realized what I thought would be all along, that Benson would be a very very distant second best RB in the game. The best RB in the game was a true freshman. In fact, Benson might have been the third best RB in the game.
Benson may or may not end up being the top RB in the next draft class but it will only be by default. You can go back and find my quote from another thread..."Benson racks up huge yards against patsies and virtually disappears (and fumbles) against quality opponents."

That said, Rod Wright and Derrick Johnson are VERY good. DJ is just about as good as advertised, what an athlete! Rod Wright could probably use another year in school to finish developing but he is a stud. He kinda reminds me of Leon Lett. He's huge, over 300 but looks lean and agile. He could add weight if he needed. He didn't make a ton of plays but a few and OU got almost all of their rushing yards running outside the tackles.

Mac Brown....sooooooooooo owned!

What an idiot. How do you call Benson bad when he was the only thing on offense producing any yards. All OU had to do was stop the UT running game. I don't care how good any running back is. When he's playing by himself, he won't produce. Mac may be an average coach that didn't help his stars on offense, but you look like an idiot when you say that Benson looked worse than kejuan Jones. So pathetic.

The General

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
VirusX said:
I agree. I think JJ has a bad start on his hopfully long career. I just think the bandwagon'ers need to settle down with the OH WE NEED A RB with the first round pick next year. Portis was a 2nd rounder and he isnt the worst RB in the league JJ was a 2nd round pick and people expected him the be the next emmitt until he got hurt. On the benson subject I agree. Except for UT Linemen almost all UT players are overrated. Defensive players are an exception along with Roy Williams (Who was not utilized at UT)

I think we all hope that, but can you really say that RB is not a weakness and huge question mark right now? Maybe not a first round pick, but Dallas needs some insurance there. It is just as probable that he is injury prone or a bust as it that he is a solid RB.

BP seems to like RB by committee and you need people to have a committee. George wont be back (I hope), RA is getting old, Lee is unproven. If Lee shows something, I wouldnt worry about RB. If he doesn't, it needs to be addressed irregardless of JJ's status.

I personally like Jones. I hope he does well. This has nothing to do with jumping on or off any bandwagon. Maybe he comes back this year and shows something. If he doesn't, the team needs some insurance there.

ghst187

Reaction score
idiot to a UT homer who's sore about 5 in a row.

How many times did K Jones fumble? I didn't see Benson do much that Jones couldn't have done....except fumble for the 4th time in 2 games.

I didn't say Benson sucked, just overrated, mostly by a lot of people on this board.

Randy White

Reaction score
this highly touted RB prospect out of highschool couldn't beat his arch rival in college. His teams lost all 3 games he played:

28 - 14 = ( 20 carries, 100 yards )
52 - 17 = ( 15 carries, 56 yards )
24 - 17 = ( 30 carries, 153 yards )

The school ?= Florida State
The Running back ? = Emmitt Smith.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
idiot to a UT homer who's sore about 5 in a row.

How many times did K Jones fumble? I didn't see Benson do much that Jones couldn't have done....except fumble for the 4th time in 2 games.

I didn't say Benson sucked, just overrated, mostly by a lot of people on this board.

HEehe...GP is letting those 5 butt kickings get in the way of his un-biased Texas player evaluation.

Grrrrrrrrrr !!! Angry Posts. LOL :D

Skeptic

Reaction score
Boo-yah.

TEXAS SUCKS.

12-0.

Here's not hoping you guys get Spurrier after Mack Brown chokes AGAIN.

MACK BROWN.....FOUR MORE YEARS.
:D

Skeptic

Reaction score
Randy White said:
this highly touted RB prospect out of highschool couldn't beat his arch rival in college. His teams lost all 3 games he played:

28 - 14 = ( 20 carries, 100 yards )
52 - 17 = ( 15 carries, 56 yards )
24 - 17 = ( 30 carries, 153 yards )

The school ?= Florida State
The Running back ? = Emmitt Smith.
Pffffffffffffft.

You want to talk smack?

Talk about Mr. I-would-rather-win-the-Heisman-than-beat-OU.

LOL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waffle said:
Adrian Peterson is a REAL RB.

That kid looks for real. As a true freshman, he was very impressive. I will be shocked if he isn't drafted very very high in a few years.

Waffle

Reaction score
Maybe Benson will be a great pro RB after all. Since I've already seen the Lions' Roy Williams look better than he ever did at Texas, you can only conclude that these Longhorn players on offense just need decent coaching to maximize their talents. It's obvious they aren't getting that in college from Mack Brown and Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis.

"I'll answer that for Chris" - Mack Brown (2002)

Waffle

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
That kid looks for real. As a true freshman, he was very impressive. I will be shocked if he isn't drafted very very high in a few years.
Yeah...OU fans should be happy the NFL won the Clarett ruling or there would be a chance for him to leave even earlier than he probably already will.

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Wrong forum Capt. Pisswilly... nice too see YOUR bandwagon finaly arrived!!

Guess after-the-fact, IS a lot safer!!

:rolleyes:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Cedric was awesome throughout highschool (Midland Lee) and has had some success with the Longhorns. But when it comes to big games, Benson doesn't produce, and yes, even fumbles. Also, Texas is always overrated in the poles. No way were they a top 5 team going into the game vs. OU. Anyway, I would be cautious if I was a GM and had to pick up a RB. I definitely would not waste a 1st round pick on Benson. A late 2nd or 3rd rounder would be more like it.