Cedric Benson

Randy White

Reaction score
Skeptic said:
Pffffffffffffft.

You want to talk smack?

Talk about Mr. I-would-rather-win-the-Heisman-than-beat-OU.

LOL.

Smack ? You couldn't handle it if I did.

I'm not an OU fan or a Texas Fan ( don't care about either ), but the point of the post is that you can't judge any player by how he plays against any particular team. Troy Aikman got his butt kicked by Nebraska in '88. The QB for NU threw 5 TD passes while Troy looked like QUACKsy Carter against the Huskers. He, also, couldn't beat Rodney Peete's Trojans either. That didn't mean a thing in the NFL.

Benson is a darn good RB, and should be a pretty good one in the Pros. That doesn't mean he will be, but he " should " be. As far as winning the Heisman instead of beating OU, I'd rather do the same if I were him. Beating OU once in 5, 6 years would be forgotten the next week. Winning the Heisman is forever.

Now, if beating OU meant winning the National Championship, that's a different story, but a regular season game ? Pass. I'd take the Heisman every time.

Randy White

Reaction score
Waffle said:
Maybe Benson will be a great pro RB after all. Since I've already seen the Lions' Roy Williams look better than he ever did at Texas, you can only conclude that these Longhorn players on offense just need decent coaching to maximize their talents. It's obvious they aren't getting that in college from Mack Brown and Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis.

Chris Simms looks a hell of alot better playing for the Bucs than he ever did for Texas.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Wrong forum Capt. Pisswilly... nice too see YOUR bandwagon finaly arrived!!

Guess after-the-fact, IS a lot safer!!

:rolleyes:

Wow. Im diggin that sig pic and sig. Who does that for you guys?

Thats awesome.

:D

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Randy White said:
Chris Simms looks a hell of alot better playing for the Bucs than he ever did for Texas.
Yeah, I forgot about him. He's starting Sunday too!

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I wouldnt be as harsh on Benson. Consider what hes been dealing with a QB. No way Vince Young has any business being a QB. He's definitely out of position. He could possibly be a very good WR with his size, speed and moves. Watching the game though, the guy has no accuracy. Roy WIlliams might have been the 1st overall selection if he had a decent QB throwing him the ball in college. I thought Benson had a decent game except for the fumble facing 8 and 9 man fronts with no threat of a passing game.

ghst187

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Wrong forum Capt. Pisswilly... nice too see YOUR bandwagon finaly arrived!!

Guess after-the-fact, IS a lot safer!!

my bandwagon is us drafting Rolle or Mike Williams.

Of course, I just so happen to be an OU alum....
sorry UTs owning is such a sore spot....

Skeptic

Reaction score
Randy White said:
Smack ? You couldn't handle it if I did.

I'm not an OU fan or a Texas Fan ( don't care about either ), but the point of the post is that you can't judge any player by how he plays against any particular team. Troy Aikman got his butt kicked by Nebraska in '88. The QB for NU threw 5 TD passes while Troy looked like QUACKsy Carter against the Huskers. He, also, couldn't beat Rodney Peete's Trojans either. That didn't mean a thing in the NFL.

Benson is a darn good RB, and should be a pretty good one in the Pros. That doesn't mean he will be, but he " should " be. As far as winning the Heisman instead of beating OU, I'd rather do the same if I were him. Beating OU once in 5, 6 years would be forgotten the next week. Winning the Heisman is forever.

Now, if beating OU meant winning the National Championship, that's a different story, but a regular season game ? Pass. I'd take the Heisman every time.

You were saying........................?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Too bad we can't push that Buffalo draft pick over a few years and grab Adrian Peterson when he's in the draft. I'd love to see him in a Cowboys uniform. I remember all the hype he had as a high school player only a year ago. Hard to believe he's already a college star. What a phenomenal talent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Too bad we can't push that Buffalo draft pick over a few years and grab Adrian Peterson when he's in the draft. I'd love to see him in a Cowboys uniform. I remember all the hype he had as a high school player only a year ago. Hard to believe he's already a college star. What a phenomenal talent.
Best freshman RB I've seen since Herschel Walker.

GeneralPatton

Reaction score
Benson was the Leading rusher for UT with 92 yds on 23 attempts and ALSO the leading receiver with 3 receptions for 33 yards. I think you knuckleheads are misplacing your hate for UT on Benson. Get rid of that blind hatred and you'll see that Benson did outstanding being the only offensive producer out there. But that's a tall wish for kiddies like you to achieve.

The General

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
GeneralPatton said:
Benson was the Leading rusher for UT with 92 yds on 23 attempts and ALSO the leading receiver with 3 receptions for 33 yards. I think you knuckleheads are misplacing your hate for UT on Benson. Get rid of that blind hatred and you'll see that Benson did outstanding being the only offensive producer out there. But that's a tall wish for kiddies like you to achieve.

The General

You just keep believing that. :D I never said I hated the kid. Funny how you generalize some critical breakdown of Benson as HATE. Get off the box bro. You cant deny Benson dissapears when the pressure is on.

D

GeneralPatton

Reaction score
Dallas said:
You just keep believing that. :D I never said I hated the kid. Funny how you generalize some critical breakdown of Benson as HATE. Get off the box bro. You cant deny Benson dissapears when the pressure is on.

D

Do you really think dissapearing equals leading rusher and leading receiver. If so, then I'm just not going to reply to you anymore. Please clarify, because at this moment you really don't sound very bright.

The General

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
GeneralPatton said:
Do you really think dissapearing equals leading rusher and leading receiver. If so, then I'm just not going to reply to you anymore. Please clarify, because at this moment you really don't sound very bright.

The General

All everyone in this thread is saying is the Benson is over-rated. That he doesnt bring an impact to a game like an Adrian Peterson does. He is just another RB as far as Im concerned. I dont see him putting up the big #'s against proven defenses. Give me his stats over proven top 10 defenses the last 4 years? He doesnt show. Thats all everyone is saying.

Bright? Stop looking through your homer glasses and you may just see what many of us are saying. If you want to still toot that he is a great RB and the whole entire Texas team is just Cedric Benson. Then yes we are done discussing it.

GeneralPatton

Reaction score
Dallas said:
All everyone in this thread is saying is the Benson is over-rated. That he doesnt bring an impact to a game like an Adrian Peterson does. He is just another RB as far as Im concerned. I dont see him putting up the big #'s against proven defenses. Give me his stats over proven top 10 defenses the last 4 years? He doesnt show. Thats all everyone is saying.

Bright? Stop looking through your homer glasses and you may just see what many of us are saying. If you want to still toot that he is a great RB and the whole entire Texas team is just Cedric Benson. Then yes we are done discussing it.

First of all Dallas, You got in on this one late. There were a few other guys that just put there mothers to shame. Having said that, the bulk of my comments were directed at them. If you felt the initial few posts were directed at you, then you might need to do some reflection.

Second of all, It seems like you finally came up with a semi valid arguement. The only difference is that, most of the games he's dissapeared on have been against OU. And with UT's pathetic excuse for offensive coaching the past 4 years, how can you hold it against Cedric. I really do feel that his performance is directly due to the coaches performance. In those games where coaching doesn't matter as much, Cedric really does shine. I think this is the first year he's dedicated himself to football in the offseason. And it really does show. Las year I categorized him as a toe dipper the first half of the year. This year I think he's a top 10 pick.

Now on to Mr. Peterson. How many ways can you say WOW. This guy is just amazing. If he stays for his junior year I'll be suprized. I don't think I've EVER seen a RB as good as him.

The General

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
GeneralPatton said:
First of all Dallas, You got in on this one late. There were a few other guys that just put there mothers to shame. Having said that, the bulk of my comments were directed at them. If you felt the initial few posts were directed at you, then you might need to do some reflection.

Second of all, It seems like you finally came up with a semi valid arguement. The only difference is that, most of the games he's dissapeared on have been against OU. And with UT's pathetic excuse for offensive coaching the past 4 years, how can you hold it against Cedric. I really do feel that his performance is directly due to the coaches performance. In those games where coaching doesn't matter as much, Cedric really does shine. I think this is the first year he's dedicated himself to football in the offseason. And it really does show. Las year I categorized him as a toe dipper the first half of the year. This year I think he's a top 10 pick.

Now on to Mr. Peterson. How many ways can you say WOW. This guy is just amazing. If he stays for his junior year I'll be suprized. I don't think I've EVER seen a RB as good as him.

The General

Sorry if I came across wrong GP. I can do that sometimes. Benson is a strong runner this year. Finally. I gave up on him last year when he didnt dedicate himself as much to running. He is big and strong and has some moves. Im spoiled. Ive watched some really good backs that past 15 yrs or so and have a habit of comparing everyone to greatness (thank you Emmitt Smith).

Benson is a good work horse. I just dont see him being a threat that defenses fear. Those are few and far between.

I hope AD shows to be one of the few and far between. I think he can be. ESPN has him #2 on the Heisman list. WooHOOOO !!!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mack did not even play Benson against OU when he was a freshman. Another reason Stoops is better than Brown, he puts his best players on the field no matter their experience. It is a risk, but worth it when the guys can make plays.

Adrian Peterson looks great(from my home town) and will give OU at least three good years unless he tries to buck the system like Clarett.

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Sorry if I came across wrong GP. I can do that sometimes. Benson is a strong runner this year. Finally. I gave up on him last year when he didnt dedicate himself as much to running.

:confused:

Yeaaa, 1360 yards and 21 TD'S he put up last year, just THINK what he could'a done if he COMMITED himself!!!

Honestly D, sometimes your dislike of Texas, blinds you from the facts that stare you in the face.

FACT: Benson's the ONLY RB in the nation, I repeat, the ONLY RB, who's put up 1000+ yard years since he was a freshman. And that's WITHOUT starting until midway into his Soph year.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
:confused:

Yeaaa, 1360 yards and 21 TD'S he put up last year, just THINK what he could'a done if he COMMITED himself!!!

Honestly D, sometimes your dislike of Texas, blinds you from the facts that stare you in the face.

FACT: Benson's the ONLY RB in the nation, I repeat, the ONLY RB, who's put up 1000+ yard years since he was a freshman. And that's WITHOUT starting until midway into his Soph year.

Thats fine and good. He still is not a great RB. Those numbers say nothing about how he is against top defenses. Go back and look how Benson fared the last 2-3 yrs going up against good solid rated D's. He hardly even shows. The horse can run over a no name D all day long tho. I agree with you there Pokey. :rolleyes: