News: Cedrick Wilson to IR; Mitch Hyatt to 53

quickccc

Reaction score
As good a guess as any. That's what I would have to think. Otherwise, I see more of a need at guard than tackle.

Do cowboys see Brandon knight as an OT, an OG or utility guy that can play both?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do cowboys see Brandon knight as an OT, an OG or utility guy that can play both?

I'd say a utility guy at this point. They will have guys leaving the team next year like Sua Filo, Looney, and Fleming, so they need to have young guys in the pipeline like Knight, McGovern, and Hyatt.

Plankton

Reaction score
They are probably calling up Hyatt now because they want to ensure that he's on the roster going into next season. For now, he's probably still like David Arkin - woefully underpowered for an NFL offensive lineman. He needs a hard year in the weight room in the offseason to have a chance.

fansince68

Reaction score
Same here. I saw the same thing and would be surprised at any huge transformation. I think it's simply a change in status to prevent anyone from signing away a potential offensive lineman and that he'll simply be inactive for the remaining three weeks.

As for McGovern, what I've heard is that he's simply too far behind in every area to even consider. He never got any snaps in training camp and quickly re-aggravated the pec injury before seeing any during the preseason. Sadly, his freshman year was a redshirt year. Hopefully, he gets a fresh start and fair shake under the new staff and can challenge for the left guard spot next year.
McGovern challenge for the left guard spot? So whats our plan with Williams? Move him to left tackle, call the Jets and see if they are still interested in Tyron Smith for the Jamal Adams or any one of our overrated overpaid O lineman?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McGovern challenge for the left guard spot? So whats our plan with Williams? Move him to left tackle, call the Jets and see if they are still interested in Tyron Smith for the Jamal Adams or any one of our overrated overpaid O lineman?

I’d say swing tackle or utility lineman.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Devins on the actives roster just not active for a lot for games..this injury probably gets him active this game to take Wilsons spot..

obviously he doesnt play as well on ST or run routes , hes more of speed guy who is a one trick type guy, go deep type stuff..

lol well he ran a beautiful route to beat Norman.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
honestly, i have no idea, which only kept to the motto i have, if it works, you wont see it again.

being saracastic, i think its to even the playing field. DS was tearing it up and the other WRs were upset.

& he was the first gunner down on special teams that I remember.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Smith started in place of Gallup in the Saints game and didn't record a catch. As someone stated hes a one trick pony and its unlikely they'd be able to sneak him up on someone again. Bryant plays sp teams and provides the blocking wr snaps they lost with Noah Brown being out!

i like Bryant don’t get me wrong, has some upside.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Hyatt was god awful in the pre season.

Almost every rookie Cowboy looks god awful in preseason. Garrett runs the most vanilla plays in preseason. My guess is that to the common fans, the players usually look so-so to bad. I am guessing that the Cowboy preseason games look different to the professional evaluators. Cowboy coaches seem to evaluate players on a one-on-one basis not on the success of a particular play.

Hyatt showed improvement every game he was out there. He was horrible the first preseason game but made some progress. It was evident that he lacked strength. But, there seemed to be something there to work with as long as he added muscle. His technique seemed good and he knew where to be on a play but just lacked strength. Strength can be added easily with hard work in the gym.

Maybe the Cowboys have been giving him a chance at guard too. Could be that he is better at guard than tackle if he adds muscle.

TwelfthStar

Reaction score
My first guess would be the Texans. They need OL help bad and worked out 2 OTs today. My second guess would be Miami since they claimed an OT cut from the Packers.
Didn't see this until now but Texans totally makes sense. Not just that, but Deshaun Watson, too. Surprised they didn't draft him.
Anyway hope he develops into a good depth piece. Considering he's a 2x All American at least some potential has to be there.