Vtwin
Safety third
- Messages
- 11,162
- Reaction score
- 17,577
I agree with everything you said except your conclusion, though I am not saying you are wrong. It may be true that both BS and Prescott failed but based on the video, I see it differently. You could argue the play choice was a mistake but based on what I saw, this was pretty clearly a 1-look read, either a fade or stop-out.
The situation was 3rd down, 14 seconds remaining, and no timeouts. I’m sure BS said don’t take the sack or throw short of the goal line. The pre-snap read also likely played a role as the corner played straight up with inside help from the safety. To me it looks like they are trying to take away the fade with inside protection against the slant.
As far as whether Lamb was open when the ball was thrown, pause the video at the 19:30 mark and you see that Lamb was still tied up with the defender when Dak released the ball. Could Dak have held the ball longer? Maybe but B. Jones and the DE were in Dak’s lap. If you pause right after the release, you can see that B. Jones was practically standing on Dak’s lead foot a fraction of a second later.
I haven’t seen the comment from BS and hadn’t seen the replay until a few minutes ago because I didn’t care. It was only after reading these comments that I decided to look for myself. If BS said he told him to throw the ball away regardless, that was most likely not true and just him supporting Dak. But I don’t think excuses were necessary because looking at the video, I don’t really have a problem with Dak’s decision.
I just watched it yet again and I guess we'll agree to disagree on Prescott's decision. Pickens actually has his head turned back to find the ball while the ball is still between him and Prescott, with seperation. He would have had a decent chance to catch it if Prescott had put it on target. He would have had a great chance to catch it if Prescott waited a half a second and put it on target.
To me it clearly looks like he had that half second to spare, and then some. If you follow it through after he releases the ball the pass rush never got any closer than it was when he panicked and threw it away. It was less than 2 seconds from snap to throw.
