Cee Dee's Interesting comments about last week

Actually I had no opinion until I read this thread because it didn’t really matter to me.

Maybe Dak did have more time but if you look at the last still @DallasEast posted with the ball ~5 feet out of his hand, you can see the lineman and defender are on top of Dak. Without scrambling, I don’t see how you buy much more time.

And I agree 100% that the defenders’ momentum is going backwards and in each still that follows the separation increases. But Pickens caused that momentum by pushing off (my opinion) which happened at/after release. But I would suggest that all Dak sees is there is no separation at the time of release and without what I view as a push off, there is no real indication that Pickens would come clear. And this was clearly a 1-read call, so it’s not like he needed to go through a progression…it’s either there or it isn’t.

It’s easy in hindsight to question decisions when you see the outcome. And in this case the fact that he ended up so open after release makes it look even more egregious. But hindsight isn’t afforded in real time. If some want to argue that Dak should have trusted Pickens to make the play, that’s valid. Personally I would have called a play with more options v a quick hit, 1-read play…they had time.

I tend to give the Ravens credit for good defense. They took away the slant with inside help and the CB was heads-up and pressed. The CB kept his eyes on Dak and Pickens release was a strong clue this wasn’t going to be a traditional fade route.

I don’t have a strong Dak opinion like most on this site but for this single play, I give Dak and Schotty a pass on the throw-away decision. I would also have been fine if he took the shot and trusted Pickens as long as he put it in a spot where only Pickens had a chance. However I believe the call was a play not to lose v finish them call which I think is a loser’s mentality.
I don't have a problem with the play call. They had the DB in a pickle because he had to be aware of the corner fade with Pickens being an excellant jump ball receiver.

To me this play is emblematic of Prescott's propensity to play a very cautious game. We've seen the quick out, throw the ball to the pylon play a million times throughout our football fan lives. A video was posted in this thread that showed the same play completed with much tighter coverage on the receiver. Maybe it was a different thread but same topic.

I agree completely with your last sentence. I just put the onus on the QB for giving up on it rather than giving it a chance. At the very least the play had a chance to be the game winner. Put the ball on the pylon and give your guy a chance. Especially since Pickens is exactly the guy you want in one on one coverage.

It's going to be very difficult to win three playoff games with both a QB and a HC who play a timid game in situations where you need to make something happen.

This is not a prediction but it could very well turn out that that play is a big factor in falling one win short of the playoffs. Of course I'm not blaming that one play entirely for the loss. All I'm saying is the win was right there in Prescott's hands and he chose to not go for the biscuit.
 
A video was posted in this thread that showed the same play completed with much tighter coverage on the receiver. Maybe it was a different thread but same topic.
I hope it is not my video:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you-are-the-coach-you-trust-your-qb-whats-your-call.547331/

DaRon Bland was giving Ja'Marr Chase some cushion. Not the same as Nate Wiggins on George Pickens pre-snap. Down and distance was the same. Pre-snap ball placement was the same. The receiver route was the same.

Now I would agree comparative defender's coverage was tighter at the moment the ball was released in one video and when the ball could have been released in the other video. Bland was way more up on Chase when he cut than Wiggins on Pickens at the moment of his cut to the pylon.
 
I was replying to your statement that he was wide open, which he was not. You can’t throw that pass on timing. If Pickens didn’t push off, that very well could have been a pick six as the DB was in excellent position.

Like I mentioned earlier, it can be debated why he didn’t wait one second longer and whether Schotty told him to or not.

One thing of note, Schotty is heavily criticized by many here, and rightfully so. But if Dak is involved, suddenly Schotty becomes a saint. :huh::muttley:
You just need to stop. It's laughable.
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
476,216
Messages
14,673,278
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top