News: CeeDee Lamb talks being the Cowboys new WR1

khiladi

Reaction score
Andy Dalton did what he has done his whole career. Folded when the lights are brightest. Not putting the loss in that Giants game on him because there were some really dumb penalties taken (Jordan Lewis headbutt comes to mind) but Dalton looked lost at times as he has his whole career when the pressure is on.

So he’s basically like Dak, but much cheaper…. BTW, he didn’t fold. We actually won 3 out of 4 the last 4 games and should have won the last, meaning when they adjusted after the bye and with no staring OL men, including Martin, who the FO shelved because they thought they had no chance at the playoffs he was “winning games”.

I mean if the coaching staff decided to run behind Martin and not line up Zeke as QB for half a quarter against the Eagles for a half, they probably would have beaten the Eagles with DeNucci let alone Dalton..

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb isn't the master of his own destiny.

If you watched him at OU, he was wide open and able to be a YAC guy because he was headed up the field because that's the way the play was designed. He was also playing against Big 12 DB's.

He will now draw #1 coverage and those windows might be tighter and he actually had better patterns with Riley at OU than he has had with the Cowboys. Would not surprise me at all for Schultz to lead in targets. There is a noticeable difference between the #1 CB and #2 CB in most NFL defenses. Just like the Cowboys.

I think he ended up with the most targets by default. I don't even think Prescott gave Cooper the nod because of drawing #1 coverage and I think the connection that formed so quickly when Cooper arrived eroded and that targets comment Cooper made didn't sit well any better than Beasley's comments about being open. Got complaints? Keep them within the locker room.

75boyz

Reaction score

If you watched him at OU, he was wide open and able to be a YAC guy because he was headed up the field because that's the way the play was designed. He was also playing against Big 12 DB's.

He will now draw #1 coverage and those windows might be tighter and he actually had better patterns with Riley at OU than he has had with the Cowboys. Would not surprise me at all for Schultz to lead in targets. There is a noticeable difference between the #1 CB and #2 CB in most NFL defenses. Just like the Cowboys.

I think he ended up with the most targets by default. I don't even think Prescott gave Cooper the nod because of drawing #1 coverage and I think the connection that formed so quickly when Cooper arrived eroded and that targets comment Cooper made didn't sit well any better than Beasley's comments about being open. Got complaints? Keep them within the locker room.

Outstanding post. I think this is a more realistic opinion of behind the scenes events regarding the QB to WR relationships and how everything turned out from last year to this year.

I also liked the comparison regarding college conference dbs to NFL ones, the QB throwing windows and the talent gap between NFL cornerbacks 1 and 2.

All of it was spot on imo.

Great job.

jmo

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outstanding post. I think this is a more realistic opinion of behind the scenes events regarding the QB to WR relationships and how everything turned out from last year to this year.

I also liked the comparison regarding college conference dbs to NFL ones, the QB throwing windows and the talent gap between NFL cornerbacks 1 and 2.

All of it was spot on imo.

Great job.

jmo
75, your opinion is the only one that matters and far better than most on this forum. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and your posts are pearls before swine.

Ok posters, ready to take my licks. I have assumed the position, let me have it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Lamb already became the #1 last season. Heck Schultz was the #2 targeted. This won't be as big a transition as some suggest. But there's not much going on to talk about, so I get it.
It will be interesting to see how Cooper does this season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb already became the #1 last season. Heck Schultz was the #2 targeted. This won't be as big a transition as some suggest. But there's not much going on to talk about, so I get it.
It will be interesting to see how Cooper does this season.
Lamb was that by default because Cooper drew the #1 coverage almost every time.

Cooper has to be concerned about who is going to be his QB this season. If they have to smooth the rough water they created with Mayfield, this will be really interesting. He might be the next player to give his coaching staff the finger while leaving the field:laugh:

75boyz

Reaction score
75, your opinion is the only one that matters and far better than most on this forum. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and your posts are pearls before swine.

Ok posters, ready to take my licks. I have assumed the position, let me have it.

Naw Coach, my opinion carries no more weight than the next guy's.

I was merely pointing out that in this case, popular or not, you've kinda stuck by your convictions on this guy that he's still a work in progress. And while everyone else was fawning over the pick falling into the team's lap, you, if I remember correctly were not as impressed. Nor was I.
Im not a big 12 guy. My opinion on the whole wide receiver talent stable outta T-town. Baton Rouge and Columbus is a far superior bunch than those outta Norman or Austin going back, say...5 years or more now.

And, I generally compliment posters if my opinion is very similar.

An annoying habit I guess.

Oh well, how do the young folks say it, I'll just be me.

PS. On a last somewhat funny note, I am not the highest Riley college offense guy.

BUT, even with that being said, 'I'd probably take him over the current guy in charge. LOL

I dunno maybe Moore could add some of those OU WR route concepts to his bag of tricks. Whatever works.

jmo

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
..lol....kiss of death. Once your tagged as "Big man on Campus" BMOC. Your hands will get smaller, speed slower, prone to overthinking..etc.

Its primal psychology, at its best. Poor guy. I feel rookie and other guy will have to carry the load, along with TE's.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lamb was that by default because Cooper drew the #1 coverage almost every time.

Cooper has to be concerned about who is going to be his QB this season. If they have to smooth the rough water they created with Mayfield, this will be really interesting. He might be the next player to give his coaching staff the finger while leaving the field:laugh:
I don't think all teams keep their no# DB on Cooper. If there is a statistic I would be interested in seeing that. What's the #1 coverage in the various zone coverages? Eventually, they would shift to the hot hand. If Cooper is as good as some suggest, there shouldn't be any excuses. Prescott gets blamed in Dallas, well now that has changed. That's what I find interesting.
I'm guessing that we won't miss Cooper that much. But we'll see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Andy Dalton, without Martin, Smith or Collins in the line-up, would have been in the play-offs if this guy didn't drop a wide open pass against the Giants on the last drive...

Lamb dropped maybe 3 or 4 TD passes that year. Biggest disappointment in his year.