Celebrating Tackles

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I agree, Hos, but we just sound like old fogies. Guarantee you that if our players just walked back to the huddle like players used to do, they'd be called out for "having no fire" and "never playing with any emotion". Imagine all the threads of "why don't our players get excited like other teams I see on TV".

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
I think most players celebrate because they believe it gets their teammates & the fans into the game. Personally, I've always been a fan of players showing emotions on the field as long as it's not premeditated. I agree it's foolish for a player to begin dancing after a good play when his team's down 20 & the game's been decided but if there's a legit chance for them to come back (i.e. early in the 3rd Q) then I don't have a problem with it. But, like it or not, it's part of our sports culture nowadays and even golfers (you know, the "gentleman's" game) pose & posture now so I don't see it ending anytime soon!

RandyWhiteRules

Reaction score
These jerks dance after every hit; no matter how insignificant. The pratice has brought the entire NFL down a couple of notches....soon it will turn into basketball.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Mr. Hostile: You didn't have to watch two teams you dislike to see tackling exhibitions like that.

to wit: I offer you Bradie James, to whom every tackle is cause for inapproprirate celebration. I mean is this just guy pumped up or is he a legend in his own mind?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with the OP, with a notable exception. Very rarely in a game there are hits that are so big, even on plays that convert for first downs, that I'll jump up and fist-pump from my couch. If I get to do that at home, it's ok for the player that laid the wood to crow a little bit.

kmd24

Reaction score
The first time I remember thinking a player was celebrating inappropriately was watching Michael Irvin celebrate seemingly every first down reception.

Surely I saw players do it before; I've been watching football for 30 years. Irvin just made it his trademark, and I hated it. Now it seems like most receivers have some version of the first down celebration.

I was glad to hear that part of the reason Mike Peterson of the Jaguars was suspended was for celebrating a sack (during which he barely touched the QB) while trailing the Bengals 21-3 and then arguing with Del Rio after being called out in team meetings.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kmd24;2413204 said:
The first time I remember thinking a player was celebrating inappropriately was watching Michael Irvin celebrate seemingly every first down reception.

Surely I saw players do it before; I've been watching football for 30 years. Irvin just made it his trademark, and I hated it. Now it seems like most receivers have some version of the first down celebration.

I was glad to hear that part of the reason Mike Peterson of the Jaguars was suspended was for celebrating a sack (during which he barely touched the QB) while trailing the Bengals 21-3 and then arguing with Del Rio after being called out in team meetings.
For me the 1st was Mark Gastineau. He acted like a manic baboon at the smallest things he did. Especially if he got a sack. He is by far the worst all time.

I grew up loving Billy White Shoes Johnson and his wobbly leg TD celebrations. I loved Butch Johnson's California Quake. I don't mind celebrations for scores and critical stops.

A first down? Give me a break.

A tackle on 2nd down? Please.

I have seen guys celebrate when they bring down someone after a 12 yard run. Hooray for you.

It has gone too far. I would love it if the NFL allowed all out parties after TDs or big stops, but threw the flags for the frivolous stuff. That is taking it too far. A score isn't. The Lambeau Leap never bothered me. Not once. A guy acting like a fool when there's another play to stop before you get the ball back does. I swear if I were a Coach I would fine every guy for wasting hsi oxygen on a stupid celebration that means nothign if they score anyway.