Center of No Attention: Cowboys' position depth unheralded, untested

Hardline

Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
At first glance, the Cowboys center position is as ho-hum as it comes. Tyler Biadasz, 25, is a multi-year starter looking to take another step in his development. With 45 career starts to his name and no veteran challengers breathing down his neck, he’s essentially a lock to win the top spot on the depth chart.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...hem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook
Farniok has looked pretty decent at center when given a chance. He is generally untested, but I don't feel overly concerned about center depth. We kept Lindstrom last year and added Hoffman, and it's possible that Richards could play there if needed.

Biadasz should be the unquestioned starter at this point, so we're just talking depth.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why confused?
Article was pretty straight forward, and went over the options at C.

Biadiaz has been steady but not spectacular. But for a 5th round pick he has improved each year.
We could be worse off there. He will be fine until they find the next TFred type or close to him.That is a tough task.

I have no issues here. Concerned more at LG until Steele is 100%, if they play both Smith's on the left side. Or if Tyler needs to kick out to LT again.

T-RO

Reaction score
That line sums up Biadasz perfectly.
Exactly. It's a value-driven league where Cap is gawd (despite what infidels claim).

If you are a mediocre player, as Biadasz, headed towards a second contract, there will be overwhelming momentum to replace you with a guy that's cheaper. Or preferably, when possible...more productive!

Sometimes, crazy as it sounds...you can find both cheaper and more productive, all wrapped up under one uniform.

movaughn88

Reaction score
That line sums up Biadasz perfectly. The interesting thing to watch this summer is who plays center when he's out. The Cowboys really like Farniok and I wonder if he slides over and plays center more.
Sturm had an article recently where he rated the importance of the starting 11 on offense and came up with LG at either #10 or #11. Really reset the way I thought of that issue because I couldn't argue with it.

I have a hard time thinking C is anything other than #9. So if you have an average guy under a rookie contract there....not the worst thing in the world.

Hardline

Reaction score
While Biadasz is serviceable, I wouldn't have had a problem drafting John Michael Schmitz at #26. I even openly advocated for it.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Biadasz and think both this article and this fan base underrate him as a player. In the article they talk about how flawed the PFF rankings are but then quantify that by saying it's okay as long as all players are ranked under the same flawed ranking. That makes zero sense and I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt. Biadasz is a technician at center, works really well on double teams, and seems to be good at adjusting protection pre-snap. This is also only his 6th year playing center ever. He was an all state defensive lineman before being recruited to play center at Wisconsin. Freshman All-American in 2017, Rimington Trophy winner in 2019, 4 starts as a rookie in 2020, missed only 1 game over 2021/2022, reduced his penalties to on 4 in 2022, and made the Pro Bowl. He seems like a player who's done nothing but slowly get better to me. I'm all for competition at all positions and we all heard that Farniok would push him last season. He didn't, and neither did McGovern.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Upgrade over the last couple of years needed at Center. There are some big, strong, quality DTs on our schedule. Hopefully Biadasz with another year of experience steps up and can be that guy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Why confused?
Article was pretty straight forward, and went over the options at C.

Biadiaz has been steady but not spectacular. But for a 5th round pick he has improved each year.
We could be worse off there. He will be fine until they find the next TFred type or close to him.That is a tough task.

I have no issues here. Concerned more at LG until Steele is 100%, if they play both Smith's on the left side. Or if Tyler needs to kick out to LT again.
Hard to decipher the OP’s intent.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Biadasz and think both this article and this fan base underrate him as a player. In the article they talk about how flawed the PFF rankings are but then quantify that by saying it's okay as long as all players are ranked under the same flawed ranking. That makes zero sense and I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt. Biadasz is a technician at center, works really well on double teams, and seems to be good at adjusting protection pre-snap. This is also only his 6th year playing center ever. He was an all state defensive lineman before being recruited to play center at Wisconsin. Freshman All-American in 2017, Rimington Trophy winner in 2019, 4 starts as a rookie in 2020, missed only 1 game over 2021/2022, reduced his penalties to on 4 in 2022, and made the Pro Bowl. He seems like a player who's done nothing but slowly get better to me. I'm all for competition at all positions and we all heard that Farniok would push him last season. He didn't, and neither did McGovern.
Toss out the pro bowl; meaningless now and especially as it was pretty much Biadasz because he was the last man standing just about.

He took a significant step forward last year. That looms big in the minds of the Boys I am betting. They will give him this year to improve again before looking for a replacement.
He is above average I would say; which means serviceable. You can win with him. A lot like Steele in some ways; who is an excellent run blocker but mediocre at pass blocking.
Biadasz is a technician which means he is never going to be a great run blocker but he is good in pass blocking.
At this moment I would not give him another contract, he is on the edge there.
BUT the guy really showed up well at Wisconsin, which means something. HE has the pedigree and had bad luck starting out in the NFL.
It all comes down to this season; does he continue to improve significantly.

fivetwos

Reaction score
TB has been solid, not great. The Fred comparisons from minute one didn’t help him.

Tough call whether you try to retain him on a modest second deal or aspire to get better there.

I’m not complaining but we have all seen the difference between a dominant center and slightly above average one.

I think he is back on a deal that is somewhat team friendly. TB would need to miss a lot of games and Farinok play very well for that to not happen.