Centers-Front and center!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Our center is already on the roster.

connor-mcgonvern-center.jpg
I have been watching a replay of the Rose Bowl this afternoon.

Wisconsin vs Oregon.

Wisconsin's center Tyler Biadasz has been a road grader and is into the 2nd level quickly.

I take him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ok..

I realize everybody is taking their sliderules out and busily measuring all the positions and what we need.

I keep coming back to center.

The experts say Rd 2-3 is where the top ones come off the board.

How long before we make this move?

I know some think there is plenty of options already in reserve to fix this problem.

But I just think a healthy, young center is a key especially for us.

Beard left in 2018 and we suffered, he was not 100% in 2019. either.

For your consideration...

I just love the smell of a pancake block early in a game.you?

https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2020C.php
dude rehashing old threads the day Tfred retired we have many long discussions on this , you were paying attention..it would be waste in this draft to draft a C with all our other holes.. heck a swing Tackle is more of need ..

we Have Looney whos short term a starter if football started today , period..

the offseason too short to teach a new rookie or 2nd year layer to be a center however if we went that route its Conner McGivern wasn't he our 2nd round pick. so thats 2 centers, I also heard who is it Redfern or something or another can play there so G/C is full competition with what we have now..

whoever loses is either the starting or backup left guard..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I like him and Michigan's Cesar Ruiz.
Ruiz looks like a Cartel enforcer.

He is a pancake block waiting to happen. His highlights are impressive to me.

I would be very tempted with him to take him early. He would be a need as well as a BPA.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Ruiz looks like a Cartel enforcer.

He is a pancake block waiting to happen. His highlights are impressive to me.

I would be very tempted with him to take him early. He would be a need as well as a BPA.
agreed.
in a wipe-out scenario...we could do worse.
take Ruiz...let McGovern compete with Connor Williams for OG.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
dude rehashing old threads the day Tfred retired we have many long discussions on this , you were paying attention..it would be waste in this draft to draft a C with all our other holes.. heck a swing Tackle is more of need ..

the offseason too short to teach a new rookie or 2nd year layer to be a center however if we went that route its Conner McGivern wasn't he our 2nd round pick. so thats 2 centers, I also heard who is it Redfern or something or another can play there so G/C is full competition with what we have now..

I realize we have some exposure to our guys.

But frankly, I want us to avoid being in love with the guys we have.

just becuz we have them.

All the coaches that wanted them are gone now.

McCarthy is starting over. I did not think the OL was very good last year.

It slipped several levels from years past.

Is that players or coaches or both.

Columbo was part of the problem as the OL regressed from 2018. Injuries really played a part, also.

So I do not know exactly.

I just know Beard out is trouble until proven otherwise.

Hmmmm..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I realize we have some exposure to our guys.

But frankly, I want us to avoid being in love with the guys we have.

just becuz we have them.

All the coaches that wanted them are gone now.

McCarthy is starting over. I did not think the OL was very good last year.

It slipped several levels from years past.

Is that players or coaches or both.

Columbo was part of the problem as the OL regressed from 2018. Injuries really played a part, also.

So I do not know exactly.

I just know Beard out is trouble until proven otherwise.

Hmmmm..
too much invested in drafts and cap at oline,,we have guys he can nurture and make better..it time to build the defense

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Ok..

I realize everybody is taking their sliderules out and busily measuring all the positions and what we need.

I know some think there is plenty of options already in reserve to fix this problem.

Beard left in 2018 and we struggled? I clearly remember them beating Seattle that year in the wild card round and losing to the rams because they rushed for almost 300 yards. Frederick is an all-pro no doubt, but you don't need all-pro at every position on the OL. It's more about chemistry and Looney and McGovern are plenty good to keep this offense running. Y'all forget that Garrett no longer coaches this team to beat the man in front of you. McCarthy knows how to protect most any flaw or weakness. When it comes to the weakness of this team, center is way far down the list.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Beard left in 2018 and we struggled? I clearly remember them beating Seattle that year in the wild card round and losing to the rams because they rushed for almost 300 yards. Frederick is an all-pro no doubt, but you don't need all-pro at every position on the OL. It's more about chemistry and Looney and McGovern are plenty good to keep this offense running. Y'all forget that Garrett no longer coaches this team to beat the man in front of you. McCarthy knows how to protect most any flaw or weakness. When it comes to the weakness of this team, center is way far down the list.
We were 3-5 early in the year.

Oh yes..the OL sucked pretty good.

It missed Beard and they had to fire the OL coach and promote Columbo.

You forgot all that?

Really..everything was cool, huh?

Hmmmm..

Other things like the Cooper trade helped tremendously. We stopped trying on the run and threw the ball.

The pressure on the OL decreased a bunch.

We all are deletion creatures to get by in life.

I think you over erased.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We were 3-5 early in the year.

Oh yes..the OL sucked pretty good.

It missed Beard and they had to fire the OL coach and promote Columbo.

You forgot all that?

Really..everything was cool, huh?

Hmmmm..

Other things like the Cooper trade helped tremendously. We stopped trying on the run and threw the ball.

The pressure on the OL decreased a bunch.

We all are deletion creatures to get by in life.

I think you over erased.
You said it yourself, we traded for Cooper and then went 7-2....... we didn't trade for a center, we traded for a receiver. Do you not think how bad the receivers were could have been a factor of why they were 3-4 before Cooper? Since Dak has been QB he is 1-2 in the playoffs with that lone victory coming in 2018...... the year frederick didn't play. With frederick playing center he is 0-2 in the playoffs....... sorry but center is far down the list for needs on this team. They already have a guy they drafted last year that can play center plus looney. You guys complain that rookies and 1 to 2 year players never get a shot to play but now they are getting that chance and y'all want to draft a center high. Other needs have to be addressed and center isn't one of them at this moment

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
No.

I think concensus says Rd 2-3 but Beard went end of Rd 1.

At the time we all screamed then.

Then they drafted Martin 1st Rd and again we scratched our heads.

If they used 2rd to take one I would not bat an eye.

Trading back out of 17 to the late 20s and 30s might work and pick up a draft pick to take the center like a freebie pick would be ideal and very doable.

If trade back would not have a problem then but if we moved down into the latter 20's, then we have to make sure we don't get bamboozled.

Hardline

Reaction score
I have been watching a replay of the Rose Bowl this afternoon.

Wisconsin vs Oregon.

Wisconsin's center Tyler Biadasz has been a road grader and is into the 2nd level quickly.

I take him.
Watch Penn State videos. You will see McGovern road grading too.
But if the Cowboys did draft Biadasz then McGovern slides over to guard and becomes a damn good one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok..

2nd round for me

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok..

I don't think people necessarily think the guys on the roster "fix" the problem, as much as they think we have the players to cover the loss for now. That's different than thinking we have the permanent solution. Even so, how do we know McGovern isn't that guy? I'm not saying he is, but I don't know how we can say he isn't before even seeing the evidence.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Center is now one of the biggest needs on the team.