Chad Jackson

Pokes28

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the Carpenter thread, I figured I would respond to questions regarding my comments about Chad Jackson with a thread all his own.

Chad Jackson reminds me of last year's Troy Williamson who wasn't all that highly regarded coming out of college (expected to be a 3rd rounder or so when he declared). Williamson like Jackson never had more than 900 yards in a season, but because he can line up in shorts and run in the 4.3s, he's considered an explosive prospect. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Williamson had a whopping 24 catches for 372 yards and 2 TDs as a rookie. Not exactly tearing the league up with that amazingly explosive speed.

The issue is that when I watch these guys they don't look to be anything special on a football field. There are fast guys that don't play fast and there are "slow guys" that run by blazing corners on a football field (see TO and Michael Irvin). Football speed isn't something that should be confused with track speed. There is a huge difference. Jackson is fast on the football field, but he's not THAT much faster on the field the same way that the Moss brothers and Steve Smith are.

There has been some that have brought up that Jackson hasn't had great QB play. I will say that before this past season, there were a lot of people that thought that Chris Leak was going to be a great NFL prospect. It wasn't until he was put into an offense that requires him to be something other than a drop back passer (which is what Leak is) that he started showing that he may not be a top prospect. Yet despite that, he still had over a 130 QB rating.

People like to state that it was the scheme that kept Jackson from averaging more than his 10.2 yards per catch this season. Yet they fail to see that was lower than any WR on the team that had 10 or more catches. Yes he was very dynamic in 2004 with well over 20 yards per catch. But that was in a completely different role with the team. Basically his role was run deep and get the ball chucked to him. This was as the 3rd or 4th WR on the field. I would hope that his numbers would be balooned.

I'm not saying that Jackson won't be a good NFL receiver. That will be entirely up to his work ethic. He has the tools to be very good. But based on what he's done on the field at Florida, I'm not holding my breath that he'll be anything special and if he's not special, why waste the first round pick on him?

Simply put, I don't think there are any WRs worthy of a first round pick this year. If Dallas is wanting to take a chance on a WR, I'd rather take a look at Martin Nance, Greg Jennings, or Marques Colston. At least with them as they spend two or three years developing you are wasting that first round pick.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
Not wanting to hijack the Carpenter thread, I figured I would respond to questions regarding my comments about Chad Jackson with a thread all his own.

Chad Jackson reminds me of last year's Troy Williamson who wasn't all that highly regarded coming out of college (expected to be a 3rd rounder or so when he declared). Williamson like Jackson never had more than 900 yards in a season, but because he can line up in shorts and run in the 4.3s, he's considered an explosive prospect. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Williamson had a whopping 24 catches for 372 yards and 2 TDs as a rookie. Not exactly tearing the league up with that amazingly explosive speed.

The issue is that when I watch these guys they don't look to be anything special on a football field. There are fast guys that don't play fast and there are "slow guys" that run by blazing corners on a football field (see TO and Michael Irvin). Football speed isn't something that should be confused with track speed. There is a huge difference. Jackson is fast on the football field, but he's not THAT much faster on the field the same way that the Moss brothers and Steve Smith are.

There has been some that have brought up that Jackson hasn't had great QB play. I will say that before this past season, there were a lot of people that thought that Chris Leak was going to be a great NFL prospect. It wasn't until he was put into an offense that requires him to be something other than a drop back passer (which is what Leak is) that he started showing that he may not be a top prospect. Yet despite that, he still had over a 130 QB rating.

People like to state that it was the scheme that kept Jackson from averaging more than his 10.2 yards per catch this season. Yet they fail to see that was lower than any WR on the team that had 10 or more catches. Yes he was very dynamic in 2004 with well over 20 yards per catch. But that was in a completely different role with the team. Basically his role was run deep and get the ball chucked to him. This was as the 3rd or 4th WR on the field. I would hope that his numbers would be balooned.

I'm not saying that Jackson won't be a good NFL receiver. That will be entirely up to his work ethic. He has the tools to be very good. But based on what he's done on the field at Florida, I'm not holding my breath that he'll be anything special and if he's not special, why waste the first round pick on him?

Simply put, I don't think there are any WRs worthy of a first round pick this year. If Dallas is wanting to take a chance on a WR, I'd rather take a look at Martin Nance, Greg Jennings, or Marques Colston. At least with them as they spend two or three years developing you are wasting that first round pick.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh
I would say we need to give Troy Williamson more than a year to judge him. I think you draft based on potential. Nothing is guaranteed. No one on that board is guaranteed to be great or to be a bust.

Someone could be great and have a career ending injury. But when you look at his ability to catch the ball, run after the catch potential, then it's up to you to teach him the rest. "Develope" T.O. was developed in San Francisco.

And BTW, TO does have great speed/ Not outstanding/ but great.

Pokes28

Reaction score
TO has great football speed. But he has never been a track guy. I recall seeing him listed as a 4.55 to 4.6 guy coming out of college.

The thing about Williamson is that what you saw in Minnesota is the same thing you saw at SC. He's not a great route runner, he drifts away from contact and he really only is good in the open field.

Jackson has a different set of attributes (some good and some not so good). I would have no problem drafting him where watching game tape of him says he should be drafted (3rd round). But because he timed out great in shorts, he rockets up the draft boards. It simply doesn't make sense to me.

While searching for TO's official 40 time (couldn't find it), I came across this article. It very well puts into perspective my thoughts on the overvalue of combine stats.

http://tom.mcallister.ws/2006/03/01...-of-the-scouting-combine-isnt-even-televised/

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
TO has great football speed. But he has never been a track guy. I recall seeing him listed as a 4.55 to 4.6 guy coming out of college.

The thing about Williamson is that what you saw in Minnesota is the same thing you saw at SC. He's not a great route runner, he drifts away from contact and he really only is good in the open field.

Jackson has a different set of attributes (some good and some not so good). I would have no problem drafting him where watching game tape of him says he should be drafted (3rd round). But because he timed out great in shorts, he rockets up the draft boards. It simply doesn't make sense to me.

While searching for TO's official 40 time (couldn't find it), I came across this article. It very well puts into perspective my thoughts on the overvalue of combine stats.

http://tom.mcallister.ws/2006/03/01/the-most-important-aspect-of-the-scouting-combine-isnt-even-televised/

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh
I don't know how fast TO runs as well, but I can guarantee Keyshawn doesn't have 33 plays over 40 yards in the last 6 years the way TO has.

The guy is fast/quick and explosive. Jackson is quick and explosive.. Now let's teach him the rest of the stuff, and let the chips fall where they may.

Reaction score
I don't know how fast TO runs the 40, but it's a hell of a lot faster than Irvin or Keyshawn. TO plain outruns guys on the regular.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I just looked it up. According to Kiper's 1996 Draft Blue Book, TO (was the 14th rated WR) ran a 4.55 speed but he ran a 4.63 and had a 33" vertical.

Funny how a "slow guy" plays so damn fast.

If it weren't for the 4.32 - 40 of Jackson, he wouldn't even be discussed.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh