Chain gang may soon be a thing of the past

plasticman

Reaction score
Okay, but......

The more we can see with our own eyes, the more we can remain optimistic that the NFL is still an honest league without manipulation. Are we going to be able to verify that this technology is clean?

We live in a rather skeptical world these days.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Okay, but......

The more we can see with our own eyes, the more we can remain optimistic that the NFL is still an honest league without manipulation. Are we going to be able to verify that this technology is clean?

We live in a rather skeptical world these days.
What difference does it make. Every call that doesn't go in <insert team>'s favor will always be chalked up as the NFL rigging the game against that team by the tin foil cap crew. Human or tech, it won't make a difference.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm just waiting on robots, it hurts me thinking of guys getting hurt out there playing a game for millions and having to wear stupid tats for the fans.
If they did go to robots, I'd hope they name the dumbest choking qb bot dak. I'd miss dak but if we had a choking robot it would be like he never left.
I can't wait for technology to get this done. AI to the rescue.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Sure, but perhaps a stronger chip or laser technology could help.
Laser tech is not a bad idea, but there's 1 tiny problem to overcome - football fields aren't perfectly flat. They are raised slightly in the center to allow water drainage to the sidelines. For example, at the old Texas stadium, if you leaned down closer to ground level on one sideline you couldn't see the opposite sideline. This might not be the case at AT&T since they don't have to worry about water drainage, but every other outdoor stadium is probably designed that way.

For lasers to work, I assume they would need line-of-sight between the sidelines, which might only be possible in the domes. Maybe raised lasers that compensate for the curvature would work? I don't know.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the sales pitch went something like “ ok Rodge, imagine 3 fewer guys on each sideline…….. what if I can do the same job without anyone on the sideline but at 10x the cost……. Do we have a deal?”

blueblood70

Reaction score
That should have happened years ago.
I don't think a single chip would work they'd have to design something that was the full shape of the ball because when you're trying for a first down in a pile which is hard to find now you can't have it in one tip or the other or in the center because like on a touchdown all you have to have is the tip of the ball graze the white line so there's always going to be problems whether it's with technology or not...

You have to create something that was the full length of the football I don't know inside the chip would have to be two chips with like a laser between the two or your measurement it can keep up with where the ball actually crossed the line, technically all you need is the very tip of the ball across a invisible line that gets you a first down or a touchdown..

Creeper

Reaction score
I can see how this is very feasible. The tech exists. The software could be written fairly easily to sync the spot of the ball to the video so the ball can be spotted precisely when the video shows the knee or other body part touches the ground. I think the accuracy might not be as precise as some folk may think, and this could create some controversy on close calls. Now if they could lay a matrix of sensors under the turf they may have something.

khiladi

Reaction score
How are the gamblers going to influence the games now?