Changes I want in the NFL

cowboyec

Reaction score
In the old “sudden death”, the team that won the OT coin toss won the game @62% of the time.

Two teams battle straight-up even for 60 minutes and then one team gets a 62% odds-on advantage because of a coin toss??!?
eliminate the coin flip...start overtime period where regulation ended...continuous action.
1st team to score wins.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Makes no sense? Of course the WINNING teams isn't going to complain, they got to play their strength against the other teams weakness while the other team was forced to play their weakness against the other teams strength. Both teams should have the chance to use their strengths, and both teams should be required to have to manage their weaknesses. It's very simple.

Two very similar teams teams battle it out for 60 minutes and are still knotted up. It is stupid to then limit the outcome to one side of the ball for each of them. It is dumb to have it just come down to a coin flip and not football.
Your problem is the facts don't support your assertion. Even when we had true sudden death, the team that won the coin flip only won the game a *slight* majority of the time. Furthermore, it was a solid minority of times that the team that won the coin flip got a 1st-possession score to win.

As such, to say the OT games "come down to a coin flip" is just ignorance of history. Winning the coin flip doesn't determine the outcome. It gave a modest, but not significant, gain.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Your problem is the facts don't support your assertion. Even when we had true sudden death, the team that won the coin flip only won the game a *slight* majority of the time. Furthermore, it was a solid minority of times that the team that won the coin flip got a 1st-possession score to win.

As such, to say the OT games "come down to a coin flip" is just ignorance of history. Winning the coin flip doesn't determine the outcome. It gave a modest, but not significant, gain.

I never said it was an absolute. It creates that possible situation though, and that is poor design.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know it's never gonna happen, but I just hate the fact that the game is often decided by Someone who takes no active part in the game. If a Rugby Player kicks the winning penalty, at least He's been out there running, passing and tackling with His Teammates.

Exactly. The bloke kicking the PAT in my scenario would be the one scoring. Essentially, the referee would spot the ball where the current PAT is held on the side of the field that TD occurred, and the bloke scoring the TD must drop kick it like in rugby for the kicked PAT to count. That would be entertaining to me anyway.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Exactly. The bloke kicking the PAT in my scenario would be the one scoring. Essentially, the referee would spot the ball where the current PAT is held on the side of the field that TD occurred, and the bloke scoring the TD must drop kick it like in rugby for the kicked PAT to count. That would be entertaining to me anyway.
LOL
That'd be worth seeing, especially a 340 pound Nose Tackle who recovered a fumble.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

And yes, I do very much enjoy rugby. Indeed, it may become my new NFL as the NFL continues to tank. After all, it is the original to American football. Pity American football can't take lessons from rugby such as officiating. Nigel Owens would be a magnificent NFL ref, for example. Could you imagine him having a word with Tom Brady? It'd be spectacular.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I said fair....not interesting
That is some lame sauce

We have a different definition of "fair". IMO it's more lame to hand one team an advantage/opportunity to score based only on a coin flip, without giving the other team the same opportunity.
I haven't seen any argument here that changes that.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Failure to give both teams an equal opportunity possession reflects a simple desire to expedite the game without regard to fairness.

Master22

Reaction score
I happen to like the college OT but I can see why many on here do not. I also like the current NFL OT rules over the previous one, eliminating the ability to just get in field goal range to end it.

diefree666

Reaction score
Failure to give both teams an equal opportunity possession reflects a simple desire to expedite the game without regard to fairness.
I spit on all this crap about FAIR. You had 60 minutes to decide the game so now its time to end it; sudden death by first score is the price you pay for not getting it done in regulation

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We have a different definition of "fair". IMO it's more lame to hand one team an advantage/opportunity to score based only on a coin flip, without giving the other team the same opportunity.
I haven't seen any argument here that changes that.
the team the wins the cointoss won 51% of the games

some big advantage.....in other word play defense and get he ball back........earn it

what is patently unfair is the team the goes second in your plan always gets to go on 4th downs when behind...... that is a huge advantage the other team did not get.... knowing what you need to do to win the games changes everything

The new OT rules and the college OT rules suck

Buzzbait

Reaction score
the team the wins the cointoss won 51% of the games some big advantage.....
So if you were one of the teams entering OT, you wouldn't prefer the 1st possession because it provides NO advantage. Yeah right. LOL
You can argue that all you want, but you and I both know better. You'd take that 1st possession every single time if you could.

The new OT rules and the college OT rules suck
Sorry but IMO the new NFL OT rules are preferable to yours.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I want nothing to do with college football OT. That is terrible. Maybe if they started at midfield or on their own 40. But at the opponent's 25? Dumb.

I do agree with the roster sizes. Increase it and have about 10 more guys than now days dress out. Mid 40s is not enough with how often injuries happen.

Full time refs. Get the best you can get and pay them accordingly. Their full time job is reffing. And in the offseason, they brush up their skills with seminars and simulations and whatever else you have them do.

Get rid of every single turnover and scoring play is under review from the booth. It becomes a beating. I like the replay system how it used to be. 2 challenges per team and a chance at 3 if you get those 2 correct. Last 2 minutes is from the booth. Human error is apart of sports from the refs. We don't need every single movement replayed.

Get rid of the 2 week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. There is no reason for this.