Chargers fire Ted Cottrell, hire ron riveria, should Cowboys look at cottrell as ..

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Unbelieveable. They crap-can Marty cause he and Ted don't see eye to eye.

Laugh your arse off Marty. Call them, a lot, and laugh your arse off.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Looks like the Chargers might be going back to the 4-3 then. Their personnel is set up for the 3-4 obviously but Rivera isn't exactly an expert in the 3-4. Turner is in a pile of **** over there. Too much talent to be playing the way they are, Merriman or not. That's another loose undisciplined team.

No thank you on the Ted 'I keep getting canned mid season" Cottrell left overs. Just as bad as us needing Tony G at TE.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:
per espn, chargers fire ted cottrell, and hire ron riveria, so should the cowboys hire ted cottrell and have him a defensive consultant, to help with defense?

what would this accomplish? have you watched Cottrell's defense?

I know he was Wade DC in Buffalo and was actually a hot name for awhile, but his defenses in Minnesota and SD have been pretty lousy since then. I tend to think whatever success he had in Buffalo was more on Wade than Cottrell

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Seven;2381506 said:
Unbelieveable. They crap-can Marty cause he and Ted don't see eye to eye.

Laugh your arse off Marty. Call them, a lot, and laugh your arse off.

I don't believe Ted went to SD until after Marty was fired and Wade was hired here

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chief;2381225 said:
Trent Dilfer, who by the way is already ESPN's best analyst IMO, said on the radio yesterday that some of the old 3-4 defenses, like the one used by Ted Cottrell, are outdated. He says they are too passive and the new offenses go right through them.

Of course, he was a lot more articulate in his analysis, but that was the basic message.

I agree with you on Dilfer. Seems more focused on atleast being unbiased in what he says.

If that is what he said... sounds like our defense.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chief;2381225 said:
Trent Dilfer, who by the way is already ESPN's best analyst IMO, said on the radio yesterday that some of the old 3-4 defenses, like the one used by Ted Cottrell, are outdated. He says they are too passive and the new offenses go right through them.

Of course, he was a lot more articulate in his analysis, but that was the basic message.

I would agree with his assesment.

satam55

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:
per espn, chargers fire ted cottrell, and hire ron riveria, so should the cowboys hire ted cottrell and have him a defensive consultant, to help with defense?

HELL NO! THE COWBOYS SHOULD CAN WADE PHILLIPS AND THE 3-4 DEFENSE!

smoovb

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:

Its official, you need to put down the bottle dude.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:

WTH - is wrong with this thread? The guy asks a simple question. He didn't make a statement/offer opinion on the coaching expertise of Cottrell. Yet all I see are responses bashing him. Some of you need to double your dosage.

Iago33

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2381950 said:
WTH - is wrong with this thread? The guy asks a simple question. He didn't make a statement/offer opinion on the coaching expertise of Cottrell. Yet all I see are responses bashing him. Some of you need to double your dosage.

:hammer:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2381950 said:

Its called history, look at the thread history of the OP

Do energy drinks make the giants dline good?

told you we should have traded for Tony Gonzales cause witten got hurt

lets hier urban myer

Not to mention dozens of threads to tell us one sentence of what he heard smoake or someone else say on the radio

take a look

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/search.php?searchid=498390&pp=25
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133475

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
MrMom;2381375 said:
No, he's been their LB coach for the past couple of seasons.

I thought he was the Bears defensive coordinator back when Wade was the coordinator for the Chargers?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
rocyaice;2382165 said:
I thought he was the Bears defensive coordinator back when Wade was the coordinator for the Chargers?

he was he interviewed for us as HC, we hired Wade instead and chicago fired him. He went to SD same time we hired Wade

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if he keeps the 3-4. He didn't want to keep it when he interviewed for our HC job.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2381231 said:
Yes and he went to the Chargers to get some 3-4 experience on his resume last year
Actually, I think he went there because they were the only ones that would hire him. He went from DC to interviewing for HC positions to a linebacker coach. I don't think assistant coach below Ted Cottrell is something you put at the top of your resume.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:

NO! step away from the keyboard!!!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2382174 said:
Actually, I think he went there because they were the only ones that would hire him. He went from DC to interviewing for HC positions to a linebacker coach. I don't think assistant coach below Ted Cottrell is something you put at the top of your resume.

yes, the perception was that he wasn't really running the D - Lovie was.

Ironically, I think that Rivera's experience influenced Stewart - he asked Capers not to come here, probably b/c he didn't want Dom deflecting credit. Similarly (and more importantly) he may have tried to do too much with our D in order to shed the "Wade is the real DC" perception. I think Stew saw himself as interviewing for HC jobs or at the very least, getting a big raise as the DC if he could establish himself this year. Now, he's in a similar boat as Rivera was a few years back, likely going back to being a position coach.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2382267 said:
yes, the perception was that he wasn't really running the D - Lovie was.

Ironically, I think that Rivera's experience influenced Stewart - he asked Capers not to come here, probably b/c he didn't want Dom deflecting credit. Similarly (and more importantly) he may have tried to do too much with our D in order to shed the "Wade is the real DC" perception. I think Stew saw himself as interviewing for HC jobs or at the very least, getting a big raise as the DC if he could establish himself this year. Now, he's in a similar boat as Rivera was a few years back, likely going back to being a position coach.

I agree

:eek: