Chargers fire Ted Cottrell, hire ron riveria, should Cowboys look at cottrell as ..

Kangaroo

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2382166 said:
he was he interviewed for us as HC, we hired Wade instead and chicago fired him. He went to SD same time we hired Wade

He was not fired his contract was up and was not renewed he was interviewing for a bunch of HC jobs so the Bears moved on

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2381123 said:
per espn, chargers fire ted cottrell, and hire ron riveria, so should the cowboys hire ted cottrell and have him a defensive consultant, to help with defense?

Sorry, the Cowboys have met their quota of Chargers geniuses.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2382279 said:
He was not fired his contract was up and was not renewed he was interviewing for a bunch of HC jobs so the Bears moved on

For all intents and purposes he was fired. His contract was not renewed AFTER all the available HC jobs had been filled. The Bears knew he had nowhere else to go as a HC and let him go regardless. That isn't moving on - is basically firing.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Actually, Cottrell has more experience, thus a better fit, in Wade's D than say, Grantham or Herring. Definitely more experience w/3-4's than Campo.

But Cottrell is no Capers (really does not bring anything "more" to the table), so my vote is "no".

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2382372 said:
the chargers D was worse than ours....

And Houston and Cleveland's defenses (under Grantham) were worse than the Chargers (under Cottrell). The Jags' secondary was FAR worse (under Campo) than the Chargers' secondary (under Cottrell).

I think you are missing my point. In either case, I don't want to bring in Cottrell either.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2382283 said:
Sorry, the Cowboys have met their quota of Chargers geniuses.

I am sick and tired of all these Charger rejects, why cant we go raid a good coaching staff like the Pats or Colts???

As far as this thread goes, lets just say that I have watched several Charger games this season and THEIR DEFENSE FREAKING BLOWS!!!

They are actually worse than us on defense if you can believe it, no wonder at all that Cottrell got canned.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BAT;2382378 said:
And Houston and Cleveland's defenses (under Grantham) were worse than the Chargers (under Cottrell). The Jags' secondary was FAR worse (under Campo) than the Chargers' secondary (under Cottrell).

I think you are missing my point. In either case, I don't want to bring in Cottrell either.

Jags secondary far worsE? that's a tad bit of an over exaggeration....I would love to seem some stats to back you up on your assertion

I am sick and tired of all these Charger rejects, why cant we go raid a good coaching staff like the Pats or Colts???

As far as this thread goes, lets just say that I have watched several Charger games this season and THEIR DEFENSE FREAKING BLOWS!!!

They are actually worse than us on defense if you can believe it, no wonder at all that Cottrell got canned.

IDK it's not like the coaches that have left the Pats have actually been good....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
YoMick;2382508 said:
No more STEROIDED UP MARRYMAN. :eek:

Funny, they were 11-5 last year with Merriman being tested weekly.

The problem with SD this year as I see it is that the offense isn't what it used to be - they are running for about 30 yards less a game than last year. That's a HUGE switch that has them in the bottom 6 in rushing average. LT has been hurt a little and it really shows in his productivity as he's averaging less than 4 YPC.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2382388 said:
Jags secondary far worsE? that's a tad bit of an over exaggeration....I would love to seem some stats to back you up on your assertion

How about watching some games? It was only last season FPS. Jags had one of the best front 7's last season (reason Mike Smith was hired to Atlanta) but it was their secondary that failed them, especially in the playoffs. If you didn't watch the games, then troll any Jaguar site/media. Donnie Henderson was brought in soon after the season ended to address this problem, Campo was allowed to look for another job_with Jerry coming to his rescue. Jags have allowed Campo permission to seek other opportunities beginning his second season with them. Norv tried to get him a position w/the 9ers in 2006, Nolan said "no".

And the Chargers had one of the best pass defenses in 2007, Cottrell's first season as coordinator. Again, look it up.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No thanks I'll pass. He was awful where he was and there is no reason to have him here stinking up our situation.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2382870 said:
Funny, they were 11-5 last year with Merriman being tested weekly.

The problem with SD this year as I see it is that the offense isn't what it used to be - they are running for about 30 yards less a game than last year. That's a HUGE switch that has them in the bottom 6 in rushing average. LT has been hurt a little and it really shows in his productivity as he's averaging less than 4 YPC.

I think I said last year that LT has lost a step. I got blasted for it, but it is the truth.

What really happened...Norv threw Ted under the bus.

Norv is not a HC. I blame the Commanders for making him one to begin with.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It should be interesting to see a coach with zero 3-4 experience come in during mid-season (no time to get acclimated) to take over a 3-4 defense.

At least Zimmer was here during the building of our 3-4 and the actual creator and master of the style of 3-4 we were going to run here to tutor him along during the process in Parcells.

If you ask me, Ron Riveria is setup to fail.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
nyc;2383129 said:
It should be interesting to see a coach with zero 3-4 experience come in during mid-season (no time to get acclimated) to take over a 3-4 defense.

At least Zimmer was here during the building of our 3-4 and the actual creator and master of the style of 3-4 we were going to run here to tutor him along during the process in Parcells.

If you ask me, Ron Riveria is setup to fail.

Actually Rivera has a year and a half of 3-4 experience, almost as much as Zimmer. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BAT;2383136 said:
Actually Rivera has a year and a half of 3-4 experience, almost as much as Zimmer. :)

Where exactly did he get it? Not with the Bears or Philly that I know of.

MONT17

Reaction score
Its obvious cotrell is a good coach unless some u think he is a product of affirmitive action. I don't know who the guy is but I think if jerry wants the ppl in jerrytown to be happy he should stay away from coaches who are like cottrell.