THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated: April 29, 2007, 5:22 PM ET
Chargers LB tested clean 19 of 20 times

By Chris Mortensen
Special to ESPN.com

In an effort to distance Shawne Merriman's name from being attached to a new policy, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has revealed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Chargers star linebacker has tested clean on 19 of 20 random tests for performance-enhancing drugs since he entered the league two years ago.

Merriman was suspended for four games in 2006 for testing positive for steroids, which he has steadfastly claimed came from a tainted supplement. As a consequence, the NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed that players who are suspended under the policy will not be eligible for the Pro Bowl, starting with the upcoming season. A formal announcement is expected prior to the season.

Leery that the new policy will be know as the "Merriman rule," Goodell has asked the union to include all players suspended under any existing policy, such as player conduct, to be omitted from the Pro Bowl. NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw refused the proposal.

However, at the behest of Merriman, the union gave the league permission to disclose Merriman's testing results, overiding the confidentiality rules in place.
"This is something Shawne wanted to get out," Goodell said.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Duh. He'd have been suspended again if he hadn't tested clean. Also, he's tested weekly now. So the high # isn't surprising

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Good for him....

Ummm... this is like posting that TO showed up for practice, remember that thread?

Are we suppose to applaud people for doing their job and following rules now?

I just cant wait to see how he performs off the juice.

adamknite

Reaction score
Only a moron taking steroids would get caught. Espcially making the kind of money he does.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
abersonc;1480151 said:
Duh. He'd have been suspended again if he hadn't tested clean. Also, he's tested weekly now. So the high # isn't surprising

You didn't understand. That 19 out of 20 goes back to BEFORE he was suspended.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone say he might not be making those millions without steroids. Can't say one way or another. I'm amazed he's gotten so little flak.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
And Ware's tested clean 20 out 20.

Pointing out all the times he "passed" is sort of like a teenage girl justifying her pregnancy to her parent by using all the unprotected times she didn't get pregnant. It only takes once.

adamknite

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1480284 said:

Pointing out all the times he "passed" is sort of like a teenage girl justifying her pregnancy to her parent by using all the unprotected times she didn't get pregnant. It only takes once.

lolZ.... nice analogy.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Whatever...Alls I am saying is no one goes to training camp doing two-a-days under the blistering sun and gets faster and stronger while gaining weight like Merriman did. That just does not happen unless you are on something. I think the guy is a cheater.

Perfect point. :hammer:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rack;1480168 said:
You didn't understand. That 19 out of 20 goes back to BEFORE he was suspended.

I can understand that, but doesn't that mean, he tested positive on a non-random test?

Which makes him all the more stupid?

Because don't you have to be caught a few times before you get that first four game suspension?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
So he has gotten better at hiding it. probably had his bladder drained and filled with clean urine

Kangaroo

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1480315 said:
I can understand that, but doesn't that mean, he tested positive on a non-random test?

Which makes him all the more stupid?

Because don't you have to be caught a few times before you get that first four game suspension?

Steroids is 1st offense it is the other drugs like Mary Jane etc

adamknite

Reaction score
smarta5150;1480305 said:
http://i87.***BLOCKED***/albums/k158/smarta5150/mcfadden.png

http://i143.***BLOCKED***/albums/r141/adamknite/nogood.jpg