Chargers release Larry English

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We should have sign Will Smith or Shaun Phillps this year. Vets with some juice left in the tank. We are depending on these guys that never caught on anywhere but we want them here. We luck up with Selieve and few years back with Laurent. But at some point let's invest in some quality depth. Please don't be surprised if our D still suck.

From the most part it seems they are picking up young, cheap guys that Marinelli liked when they came out in the draft. Supposedly both Mincey and Terrell McClain were guys he liked through the draft process and even tried to get Mincey as a free agent when he was with the Bears. Going after costlier vets doesn't appeal to me.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Bring everyone in for a look! A workout doesn't mean contract, its just being proactive... gotta find those diamonds in the rough.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
thumb.jpg

ENGLISH!!!

What?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
From the most part it seems they are picking up young, cheap guys that Marinelli liked when they came out in the draft. Supposedly both Mincey and Terrell McClain were guys he liked through the draft process and even tried to get Mincey as a free agent when he was with the Bears. Going after costlier vets doesn't appeal to me.

I appreciate that you call 30 young - but I don't think it is in football terms

AbeBeta

Reaction score
For the most part.

But 30 is still considered in their prime years opposed to guys on the back end.

Even best case scenario, you get a cheap 30 year old and he's a stopgap, not someone who will develop into a core player

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Even best case scenario, you get a cheap 30 year old and he's a stopgap, not someone who will develop into a core player

I matters what Mincey gives them. If he can get a half dozen sacks for a few seasons in reserve. That's better than stopgap imo. But if he doesn't give much or just gets beat out by some of the young guys then yeah he might not be here long. Maybe even cut in camp.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I matters what Mincey gives them. If he can get a half dozen sacks for a few seasons in reserve. That's better than stopgap imo. But if he doesn't give much or just gets beat out by some of the young guys then yeah he might not be here long. Maybe even cut in camp.

I think it is a fine signing.

It just doesn't fit with your claim that we are focusing on young, cheap players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
And I might add that the post I was responding to mentioned two vets that are 33 years old if 30 is old then what about 33? Phillips got a 2 year 5 million contract. Smith vet minimum.

lostar2009

Reaction score

I doubt those 2 guys was expensive as they were not sign during the start of fa. Those guys most likely would have been cheap experience upgrades that could have provided depth and leadership on this D. Another big question who will step up as leader on this D????

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Can you show me all the higher priced older player signings please?

Nothing to do with price. A 7 year vet who gets $1 mill guaranteed is not a "young, cheap" player - he's an old, cheap-ish player.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You mentioned 2 guys. 50% of them are older players. Perhaps you need better examples

You actually need me to list them all? These are just the DL mind you. Seems to be young cheap guys to me. (for the most part lol) (Melton is cheap this year anyway) I left out the guys from last year that they released.

Hayden 28
Selvie 27
Rayford 28
Wilson 25
Melton 27
Okoye 27
Mincey 30
McClain 26

Guys the other poster mentioned that I responded to: Shaun Phillips 33, Will Smith 33

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You actually need me to list them all? These are just the DL mind you. Seems to be young cheap guys to me. (for the most part lol) (Melton is cheap this year anyway) I left out the guys from last year that they released.

Hayden 28
Selvie 27
Rayford 28
Wilson 25
Melton 27
Okoye 27
Mincey 30
McClain 26

Guys the other poster mentioned that I responded to: Shaun Phillips 33, Will Smith 33

There you go again.

Melton is a young, cheap guy? He's making about 3.5 mill this year. Certainly not huge money if he's the guy from 2011-2012 but not exactly a vet minimum deal.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
There you go again.

Melton is a young, cheap guy? He's making about 3.5 mill this year. Certainly not huge money if he's the guy from 2011-2012 but not exactly a vet minimum deal.

Look again, 3.5 is the average of the contract if they keep the option next year. He's making 1.25 this year. (1 million bonus and 250K salary) Then they have an option to keep him for the higher salary.

HanD

Reaction score
Look again, 3.5 is the average of the contract if they keep the option next year. He's making 1.25 this year. (1 million bonus and 250K salary) Then they have an option to keep him for the higher salary.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...motivation-to-stay-healthy-perform-well.html/

Melton can earn up to $5 million this season playing for the Cowboys. His base salary is $1.25 million, and he gets a $1 million signing bonus

If Melton shows the Cowboys what they want to see — that he’s healthy and returns to his 2012 Pro Bowl form — he will get a fully guaranteed $9 million base salary in 2015. The Cowboys can prorate Melton’s $9.25 million cap hit in 2015 by dividing it equally over the last three seasons of his deal.

Melton’s base salaries for 2016 and 2017 are $7.5 million each season.