News: Chauncey Golston Embracing New Role In Year 2

Sydla

Reaction score
For every great play that Hill makes penetrating into the backfield, you can find 5 where he gets absolutely smashed. I just don't like the player at all. It is easy to look good in shorts when you have quickness like he does....when the pads come on, that is when he gets pummeled. As it turns out, having Hill active for that 49er game over a guy like Bo was a huge mistake. Watch hill get pushed all over the field in that game and tell me Bo would have been pushed....

With Dlaw, Armstrong, Fowler, and Williams, that is good depth and investment in the DE position. I believe, knowing how the cowboys operate, they will value a guy like Golston who has position flex and that they drafted over a one-dimensional, unremarkable Basham. He will be a late cut barring injuries at the position, imo.

Armstrong and Fowler are basically JAGs at this point until they prove otherwise. The plan at DT and DE seems to cross their fingers and hope Quinn can squeeze something out of what is middling talent along the DL.

quickccc

Reaction score
He does have better inside rush moves from the outside thats because he is not that explosive and didn't have much bend. Now he's gonna be more effective 20 lbs heavier?? I don't buy it

- Maybe they want him more bulkier, bigger for trench work vs the run ..?
Maybe he's gonna play a more prominent role in the hybrid scheme that will have
him moving inside on certain downs and packages ?
Thus the need to get bigger for the trenches ?

- When I think of Golston, I'm always thinking of a Tyron Crawford, a versatile swing guy that can work both outside and end. A rotation type.

- As a full time starting role, Crawford was too slow for edge DE, and too small for DT role - that's why he was best in rotation, nickel packages and situations.
He was a serviceable-decent grunt when utilized properly.
But the problem is, for such a similar role for Chauncey, I'm not for spending a 3rd round pick on just mere decent-serviceable.

- I'd hope Golston develops into more of a Michael Bennett, where he can be moved around and produce in most rush nickel situations and a much more
highly productive and difference maker than a Crawford.
Not overly explosive, not overwhelming brute powerful, but somehow has such a knack for always getting into the backfield and make plays.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong and Fowler are basically JAGs at this point until they prove otherwise. The plan at DT and DE seems to cross their fingers and hope Quinn can squeeze something out of what is middling talent along the DL.
They are decent enough rotational guys, but sadly for now that seems to describe the entire D-Line (with the exception of Parsons when he lines up at DE). There really aren't clear cut D-Linemen that are must have's on the field.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree im not sure how 2021 rookies who all contributed something and some more are considered bad. Risen as usual spitting trash for rises ie sarcasm drama train.. OSIs above average and has a future , Gholston's learning as the team is on how to use him ..not sure why rookies now are either regarded at Parsons level ie instant fan fave or if not a total waste of a bust after year 1..so stupid. Fans have no middle ground around here its boom or bust.

soem ignorant takes on football form some who claim to know about football. i mean thats like expecting freshmen's in college to be stars if not just cut them before they develop LMAO.. development is normal Parsons types are the exception, that doesn't happen often.. rookies are expected to start out slow and develop over time..
:hammer:If Osa and Gholston are just rotational 4 year players they will be a success. Gallup, Anthony Brown, Jordan Lewis and Shultz were successful draft choices. They were solid players under their rookie contracts. Most guys picked in the 3rd round don’t work out. The fact that these guys got second contracts is gravy.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Armstrong and Fowler are not THE plan, with 2nd rd pick Williams on hand. and I strongly assume he is THE hopeful, eventual plan.
But just not this year. We won't have a true caliber starting DE. The big difference maker on a regular basis.

- But i do expect Armstrong and Fowler to be productive enough rotational types to show up in half or most games.
Even if it's just flashes and glimpses - If we can get Fowler anywhere half of that 11 sack guy in the Wade- Rams area in a rotational role,
that would be great help and addition for this defense.

- And I would think the rookie Williams is gonna take some time developing and learning.
That's what a good number of fans are gonna have problems accepting.
I don't think he's gonna be an instant Dwight Freeney this year.

- I would think Quinn is gonna work him in slow and gradual. spot him him here and there. What I'd like to see
as big keys are him getting substantial reps, game experience,.. and not getting hurt. and having set back injuries.
I especially do not want to see William basically game day inactive all season long.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:If Osa and Gholston are just rotational 4 year players they will be a success. Gallup, Anthony Brown, Jordan Lewis and Shultz were successful draft choices. They were solid players under their rookie contracts. Most guys picked in the 3rd round don’t work out. The fact that these guys got second contracts is gravy.
I don't know if "success" is the right word for 3rd rounders that become 4 year rotational players, because obviously the team is hoping to find some in the 3rd round that are more than that, but if they are quality rotational guys they at least won't be failures.

Gallup, Brown, Jordan and Schultz certainly were successful 3rd round picks. Brown and Schultz are starters, and Gallup likely will be when healthy. Even as the 3rd guy he typically got 75% or more of the offensive snap counts anyway. Lewis also typically gets more than 75% of the snaps on defense because the they play so frequently with an extra DB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Isn't that what we always do with the DL while apologizing to the fan base if we don't draft a cornerback in the 1st round?

Sydla

Reaction score
Isn't that what we always do with the DL while apologizing to the fan base if we don't draft a cornerback in the 1st round?

Pretty much. Remember how awesome Marinelli was and how he was going to squeeze blood from a stone with our DLs under his control?

The best part is that when the DL ultimately shows itself to not be good enough, it won't be Jerry and Stephen that will face the blame for having a **** plan to address the DL in FA and the draft, they will just blame the coaching.

This franchise is sooooo screwed for the next two decades. We are left hoping that the grand kid isn't a putz like his dad or grandpa.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if "success" is the right word for 3rd rounders that become 4 year rotational players, because obviously the team is hoping to find some in the 3rd round that are more than that, but if they are quality rotational guys they at least won't be failures.

Gallup, Brown, Jordan and Schultz certainly were successful 3rd round picks. Brown and Schultz are starters, and Gallup likely will be when healthy. Even as the 3rd guy he typically got 75% or more of the offensive snap counts anyway. Lewis also typically gets more than 75% of the snaps on defense because the they play so frequently with an extra DB.
I here you but I am careful about calling players that actually get on the field and help the team busts. Besides Hill and Jaylon very few draft picks bust for the Cowboys because of injury. I actually think Gregory was a bust because he was not reliable when we needed him the most. I think we beat Green Bay in 2016 if he was available. As fans we expect the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl so some here consider the whole team a bust since 95.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He'll be happy (and lucky) to be embracing any role on this team. He's a fringe player who is in a fight to be one of the (most likely only) 10 D-lineman they keep. The spots are filling up quickly and he needs to fight like he's 3rd in line.

Incorrect. He will get an opportunity to show what he can do. Looked good in limited snaps.

J-man

Reaction score
Incorrect. He will get an opportunity to show what he can do. Looked good in limited snaps.
How is what I said incorrect? Getting an opportunity is what he will get. He will have to make the most of that opportunity to make the tea,.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I here you but I am careful about calling players that actually get on the field and help the team busts. Besides Hill and Jaylon very few draft picks bust for the Cowboys because of injury. I actually think Gregory was a bust because he was not reliable when we needed him the most. I think we beat Green Bay in 2016 if he was available. As fans we expect the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl so some here consider the whole team a bust since 95.
I agree they aren't busts, I'm just saying that calling them a success may be a little too much credit, Bottom line is players like that are worth having - there is value - but they are neither a bust or as good as hoped for.

J-man

Reaction score
Congrats. You defeated my phones autocorrect. I applaud you.

Golston was a rookie last season and your talking as if he’s heading into the final year of his rookie contract and has yet to show us anything. Funny enough you keep putting a player that is on the final year of his contract and actually is a massive disappointment in Hill ahead of Golston. You may not be a fan of Golston or may think he was a massive reach last year (which I feel he was), but he’s not going anywhere for at least another season. Like I said he was a DQ pick and he checks off what Quinn looks for in a d lineman. Long arms, huge hands, massive wingspan, and a wrestling background. Quinn is not going to give up on him after 1 season if he thinks he can develop him into the player he wants.

I know it’s a joke on here at this point but the phrase “we like our guys” really is this teams motto. Golston is not competing for a spot with Watkins, Basham, or Hill. He will make it over all 3 of them.

Doubt we keep more then 10 dlinemen with Parsons able to rush at DE if needed. We might keep an extra LB or hybrid SS/LB instead

Don't be salty that I pointed out your misspelling. LOL! Not a big deal just letting you know.

And you have me all wrong dude, I do not dislike Golston at all, in fact I like him and want him to make it. I was a wrestler, my son wrestled too, I'm a huge wrestling fan (PSU season ticket holder actually) and I think wrestlers make the best lineman because they know how to use their leverage.
Trust me when I tell you that I'm not talking about him in any negative way, other than he's in a crowded room and will have to earn his spot. It's not like he's some super good DE wracking havoc off the edge. He's just a guy that has some traits, that could develop, who is actually a little better inside, than outside. I know the "position flex" phrase is talked about a lot around the star, but I'm saying that being a tweener could hurt his chances to make the team compared to some of the others, who are actually good edge guys and/or bigger/better inside guys than he is. Hill is one of those guys, not that I'm some big fan of his. But the coaches like him, and from what little bit I've heard so far this off season, he's been the best DT they have. Yes it's early, but I haven't heard them talk about Golston like that.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Don't be salty that I pointed out your misspelling. LOL! Not a big deal just letting you know.

And you have me all wrong dude, I do not dislike Golston at all, in fact I like him and want him to make it. I was a wrestler, my son wrestled too, I'm a huge wrestling fan (PSU season ticket holder actually) and I think wrestlers make the best lineman because they know how to use their leverage.
Trust me when I tell you that I'm not talking about him in any negative way, other than he's in a crowded room and will have to earn his spot. It's not like he's some super good DE wracking havoc off the edge. He's just a guy that has some traits, that could develop, who is actually a little better inside, than outside. I know the "position flex" phrase is talked about a lot around the star, but I'm saying that being a tweener could hurt his chances to make the team compared to some of the others, who are actually good edge guys and/or bigger/better inside guys than he is. Hill is one of those guys, not that I'm some big fan of his. But the coaches like him, and from what little bit I've heard so far this off season, he's been the best DT they have. Yes it's early, but I haven't heard them talk about Golston like that.
It’s okay man. You know what they say. It’s hard to tell how things are said over text. Especially on here. A lot of sarcasm is thrown around on here.

I actually agree with what your saying. These players should be earning there spots. Just not how this team operates. High picks are given roster spots. Even after a few season they still get the benefit of the doubt when more successful teams would have already moved on. I’m not arguing if your right or not, I’m just saying with how this team does thing, Golston won’t have to earn his spot or play time because he was a 3rd round pick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
- Maybe they want him more bulkier, bigger for trench work vs the run ..?
Maybe he's gonna play a more prominent role in the hybrid scheme that will have
him moving inside on certain downs and packages ?
Thus the need to get bigger for the trenches ?

- When I think of Golston, I'm always thinking of a Tyron Crawford, a versatile swing guy that can work both outside and end. A rotation type.

- As a full time starting role, Crawford was too slow for edge DE, and too small for DT role - that's why he was best in rotation, nickel packages and situations.
He was a serviceable-decent grunt when utilized properly.
But the problem is, for such a similar role for Chauncey, I'm not for spending a 3rd round pick on just mere decent-serviceable.

- I'd hope Golston develops into more of a Michael Bennett, where he can be moved around and produce in most rush nickel situations and a much more
highly productive and difference maker than a Crawford.
Not overly explosive, not overwhelming brute powerful, but somehow has such a knack for always getting into the backfield and make plays.
I dont see him being effective inside at all. He ran a 4.83 40 at 269 lbs. Hes now gonna be undersized inside and even slower. Hes never looked strong inside either. I college against the run he was not good inside. He was better at setting the edge

quickccc

Reaction score
I dont see him being effective inside at all. He ran a 4.83 40 at 269 lbs. Hes now gonna be undersized inside and even slower.
Hes never looked strong inside either. I college against the run he was not good inside. He was better at setting the edge

I don't see how running a 4.83 40 time, be an indication that he cannot be an effective as a nickel, situational interior pass rusher.
It's not like he's gonna be asked to start full time at a mere 270 pounds. I do not believe that's their intentions at all with Chauncey.

Think of Chauncy, when DE Jason Tuck- ex-Giants was moved inside in the nickel pass rush to rush inside ... think of DE Michael Bennett who played at 274 lb, who also was
moved inside on nickel occasions, to rush the passer.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't see how running a 4.83 40 time, be an indication that he cannot be an effective as a nickel, situational interior pass rusher.
It's not like he's gonna be asked to start full time at a mere 270 pounds. I do not believe that's their intentions at all with Chauncey.

Think of Chauncy, when DE Jason Tuck- ex-Giants was moved inside in the nickel pass rush to rush inside ... think of DE Michael Bennett who played at 274 lb, who also was
moved inside on nickel occasions, to rush the passer.
There will probably never be another michael bennett. Undrafted with one of the worst combines youve ever seen. Really only got a shot because gerald mccoy got injured in tampa.

Justin tuck was a 1st round talent that dropped to the 3rd rd due to knee concerns but was an absolute freak athlete that also had the benefit of playing on a d line with strahan.

Chaunceys ceiling right now is ty craw and ty craw didnt deserve a 2nd contract. I hate to break it to you. Drafting guys who you dont give 2nd contracts to isnt a W