Twitter: Chicago Bears requested permission to speak w/ Cowboys George Edwards re: DC opening

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
I believe Archer has it wrong. I think the Cowboys can block the interview unless it’s for the Head Coaching position.

Adreme

Reaction score
You should also offer a solution. Everyone over the age of 5 knew what the problem was.

I am sure he did offer possible solutions, but at the end of the day if the LBs are bad and the secondary is bad and the DL is weak against the run there is very little that you actually CAN offer as a solution. You cant hide the weaknesses when the entire defense is a weakness.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Chicago Bears have requested permission to speak with Cowboys senior defensive assistant George Edwards regarding their defensive coordinator opening, according to a source. Because it is for a coordinator's job, the Cowboys cannot block the request, but the organization wants to keep Edwards, who spoke with Mike McCarthy about the Cowboys' coordinator job before it went to Dan Quinn. Edwards was Minnesota's defensive coordinator from 2014-19.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
Just imagine how good Edwards could be with that talent.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I believe Archer has it wrong. I think the Cowboys can block the interview unless it’s for the Head Coaching position.

You're exactly right.....teams can block ANY assistant coaches under contract from interviewing for another assistant coaching job ( but not heading coaching )and yes, coordinator and/or assistant head coaches are considered assistants. That's not to say, a team won't give their blessing ( I'm guessing happened here ) but they certainly are not required ( as the case with former Cowboy OL coach Bill Callahan ).

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Would be surprised if Edwards is with us for 2021.

He’s an excellent coach.

He’s gonna like Chicago.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're exactly right.....teams can block ANY assistant coaches under contract from interviewing for another assistant coaching job ( but not heading coaching )and yes, coordinator and/or assistant head coaches are considered assistants. That's not to say, a team won't give their blessing ( I'm guessing happened here ) but they certainly are not required ( as the case with former Cowboy OL coach Bill Callahan ).
I thought they changed that rule a couple of years ago

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Isn't this the second time in recent history the cowboys have interviewed and overlooked George?

Gaede

Reaction score
How hilarious is it that we had practically the world's worst defense and might have had a quality defensive coordinator sitting in a cubicle all season long?

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I'd like him to stick around as LB coach and let Mike's little buddy hold a clipboard.