News: Chidobe Awuzie joins starting lineup as Cowboys shuffle secondary

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas -- In the offseason, the Dallas Cowboys essentially said goodbye to one secondary and hello to another.

Gone were Barry Church, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and J.J. Wilcox via free agency. While holdovers Orlando Scandrick and Byron Jones remained, the Cowboys moved Jeff Heath and Anthony Brown into starting roles and drafted Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods.

The Cowboys knew there would be growing pains, but they are about to make changes.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4764191/cowboys-to-make-more-secondary-swaps

superonyx

Reaction score
Expect the same results..
Carr, Claiborne, Jones, Church, Wilcox.....it doesn’t matter much when your defensive coordinator is still living with his past glory from the Tampa Bay Bucs...

At this point I imagine offensive coordinators have long figured this guy out..
The joke just isn’t funny anymore..

phildadon86

Reaction score
Carr, Claiborne, Jones, Church, Wilcox.....it doesn’t matter much when your defensive coordinator is still living with his past glory from the Tampa Bay Bucs...

The fact we still run the same prevent on 3rd and long baffles me

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Might as well bring up Marquez White from the PS and see if he can play too. I don't think it would be too hard to find one player to cut to make room for him.

Defensive tackle Daniel Ross and linebacker Justin March-Lillard are certainly expendable; though I suspect one of them wont go until Zeke comes back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FRISCO, Texas -- In the offseason, the Dallas Cowboys essentially said goodbye to one secondary and hello to another.

Gone were Barry Church, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and J.J. Wilcox via free agency. While holdovers Orlando Scandrick and Byron Jones remained, the Cowboys moved Jeff Heath and Anthony Brown into starting roles and drafted Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods.

The Cowboys knew there would be growing pains, but they are about to make changes.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4764191/cowboys-to-make-more-secondary-swaps
Is is odd that they are announcing these changes. That is not how they normally operate. We normally find out when the game starts.

lwehlers

Reaction score

that is so true. marrinelli is still running the same defense that kiffen taught him in the nineties.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
that is so true. marrinelli is still running the same defense that kiffen taught him in the nineties.

What’s even more baffling is that Pete Carroll learned at the feet of Kiffen as well, but he implemented his own spin on things. Carroll’s D apparently is rather simple as well, but they’ve been better at recognizing talent that fits their philosophy/scheme.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Marinelli hasn't done anything remotely great since 2012 - we brought him in for turnovers. Something that really hasn't happened consistently enough here. Weren't we like dead last in that category in 2015?

robbieruff

Reaction score
Still think we need to commit Jones to primarily CB duty (perhaps in 5-6 DB sets) and see if he can provide ANYTHING there...the regression is real at safety and I have zero confidence in his long-term competency (let alone success) at that position. If he continues to struggle, then relegate to backup and sign vet safety in the offseason as we should have done this year (e.g., TJ Ward).