Chiefs | Solari to become offensive coordinator? Al Saunders to Commanders?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:04:55 -0800

Rick Dean, of the Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards apparently plans to promote offensive line coach Mike Solari to offensive coordinator to replace Al Saunders, unless Solari follows Saunders to a different team like the Oakland Raiders.

Commanders | Team meeting with Saunders Thursday
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:46:58 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was scheduled to meet with the Washington Commanders Thursday, Jan, 19, for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said. Saunders could receive an offer from the deep pockets of Washington owner Daniel Snyder that would exceed what he could make as the Oakland Raiders head coach.

Zman5

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:04:55 -0800

Rick Dean, of the Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards apparently plans to promote offensive line coach Mike Solari to offensive coordinator to replace Al Saunders, unless Solari follows Saunders to a different team like the Oakland Raiders.

Commanders | Team meeting with Saunders Thursday
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:46:58 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was scheduled to meet with the Washington Commanders Thursday, Jan, 19, for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said. Saunders could receive an offer from the deep pockets of Washington owner Daniel Snyder that would exceed what he could make as the Oakland Raiders head coach.

That would suck real bad.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Isn't Greg Williams the assistant head coach already? Can you have 2 assistant head coaches?

EndGame

Reaction score
The other owners have GOT to be getting pissed off at Little Danny for shooting the coaching salary curve all to hell.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Don't worry folks.....BP and JERRY have a plan......you will be happy very soon

EndGame

Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
Isn't Greg Williams the assistant head coach already? Can you have 2 assistant head coaches?
He's Dan Snyder. He's short, he's obnoxious, and he will do what he wants. He's a lot like my 19-month-old son.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
sad part about it no matter who will be our OC or even our DC they won't be free to do what they want Bill will be calling the plays and i could tell you it won't be that spectacular it will be again a vanilla offense run run run then punt

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Wishful thinking?

Pesonally, I hate this news.

Double

Reaction score
Who does Snyder think he is. There is a reason why Ast. Coaches are paid a certain amount. You dont overpay them just because you generate so much revenue from your franchise. These other small teams that dont generate income are left at a loss. Tagliabue needs to do something about it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
This is a strange development...

Saunders wants a HC job, we assume with Williams' new deal that HE was promised the HC job...

If he signs there, who is next in line?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Wishful thinking?

Pesonally, I hate this news.

I am more upset at not being about to get Solari compared to saunders.
At the very least whoever would or will be our OC will be limited in calling plays but at least with Solari and a decent offseason we would get improved O-Line play.

Mash

Reaction score
Gibbs is a smart coach...............

He lets his assistants do their jobs......Williams is given total control of the defence and soon Saunders will control the offence

Here we have Big Bill control everything......

Eskimo

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:

They have a plan but unfortunately it won't improve the team.

The Skins have really pulled a 180 since Gibbs arrived in town. Signing Saunders would just be another coup for Snyder and Gibbs. Thankfully the Skins shouldn't be able to buy anymore players this year because of the Cap.

Double

Reaction score
Mash said:

He lets his assistants do their jobs......Williams is given total control of the defence and soon Saunders will control the offence

Every coach knows what is going on with each part of the team. I think they are trying to move Gibbs over to GM (if he is stupid enough to accept it), give Williams the HC job and have Saunders be the assistant. Its not only players that win the games but the coaches that motivates them and teaches them how to win. We need to surround Bill with quality people who would take over when he is no more here. Its called continuity... i would hate to bring in a new HC with new philosophies when BP retires.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:

Does that plan include promoting Todd Haley or Tony Sparano? :rolleyes:

superpunk

Reaction score
Mash said:

And Gibbs' way is working soooooooo much better.....:rolleyes:

They finished a whole 1 game ahead of the Cowboys, with a much higher payroll, playmakers like Clinton Portis, and Santana Moss on offense, and a defense in it's second year. They don't have enough cap room to make any legit additions in FA, so they better hope their coaching staff can work miracles.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Mash said:

I'll give Gibbs his due respect for what he did his first time around, but I haven't seen evidence of his being very smart this time around...

A smart coach wouldn't have started Patrick Ramsey in the season opener...

A smart coach would have figured out before 11 games that in order for his team to win, he had to feature a power running game...

And really, a smart coach would have paid more attention to his offensive line these last 2 offseasons... if Gibbs had, the Skins wouldn't have been sunk in the playoffs when their OL got bit by the injury bug... the ONLY depth they had on the team was 43 year old Ray Brown...

This latter REALLY surprises me, on two levels:

1) Gibbs was known most for the Hogs his first time around, he made a point of building a dominating offensive line...

2) Gibbs knew that his best offensive weapon was Clinton Portis, so he should have made building a line to give Portis some holes his first priority...

Now, I will give him credit for making two very significant adjustments during the season, which were the springboard for the Skins making the playoffs-- benching Ramsey in the first game, and going back to his old power running game when the Skins were sitting at 5-6... so I'm not saying he's an idiot or anything, I'm just saying let's not go anointing him a genius, I've seen plenty of mis-steps on his part in his second tenure with the Skins... and when push comes to shove, he's a .500 coach this second time around (17-17)...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
They have a plan but unfortunately it won't improve the team.

Gimme a break with that cynical BS... the Cowboys HAVE improved, and are poised to improve even more, with an offseason as good as last year's was...

I swear to Christ, guys like you just hack me off... if you're so dead morally certain the Cowboys are doomed, why don't you just go find some other team to root for??