Chiefs | Solari to become offensive coordinator? Al Saunders to Commanders?

Eskimo

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Gimme a break with that cynical BS... the Cowboys HAVE improved, and are poised to improve even more, with an offseason as good as last year's was...

I swear to Christ, guys like you just hack me off... if you're so dead morally certain the Cowboys are doomed, why don't you just go find some other team to root for??

I'm sick and tired to this time being mired in mediocrity and 25-24 is about as mediocre as it gets. Is it an improvement from Campo? Yes. Would I have expected more progress after 3 full years under the helm? Yes.

I just don't see the vision and aggressiveness from the current regime that is going to take us to the next level. Instead of hunting after the best OL coach available last year (Houck) we signed Sprano. Instead of hunting after the best OC (according to rumours, Saunders - who may sign with Raiders as HC anyways) available we allegedly are going for the Texans' castoff who once worked with BP and once had success about 10 years ago. Instead of going after a young RT in his prime to solidify the line last year (McKenzie) we signed an old, injured RG (Rivera).

I just philosophically disagree with the way Parcells manages this team but I will not let him deter me from being a Cowboys fan. I will criticize when he does poorly (Rivera, poor drafting on the OL, overpaying Fergy, 2004 draft, rift with Ellis, not giving young QBs playing time) and praise him when he does well (coaching job in 2003, 2003 & 2005 draft).

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:04:55 -0800

Rick Dean, of the Capital-Journal, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards apparently plans to promote offensive line coach Mike Solari to offensive coordinator to replace Al Saunders, unless Solari follows Saunders to a different team like the Oakland Raiders.

Commanders | Team meeting with Saunders Thursday
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:46:58 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was scheduled to meet with the Washington Commanders Thursday, Jan, 19, for a lucrative position as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, an NFL source said. Saunders could receive an offer from the deep pockets of Washington owner Daniel Snyder that would exceed what he could make as the Oakland Raiders head coach.

SHAFT!!! Snyder is rich beyond words that's true... Al Davis is a friggin cheapskate... money talks BS walks... Stupid Raaayyyyduuuuuhhhz!!!!

jja050575

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Don't worry folks.....BP and JERRY have a plan......you will be happy very soon

yeah like blow up the bank where danny boys' money is at?!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
trickblue said:
This is a strange development...

Saunders wants a HC job, we assume with Williams' new deal that HE was promised the HC job...

If he signs there, who is next in line?
Agreed. If any OC wants a head coaching job within the next year or two, their best bet is Dallas.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Good move by the Skins.

They are really strapped by the salary cap and can do very little personell wise... so they upgraded the coaching staff... a part of the team that isn't affected by the salary cap.

Big change in philosophy though.

Mash

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Parcells surrounds himself with puppets?

Take a look at a few names who have coached for him:

Belichik, Weis, Crennel, Al Groh, Tom Coughlin, Dan Henning.

That doesn't sound like a list of puppets to me.

Living in the past I see......what coach do we have on staff now that isn't a puppet?.......

Bill can't make a mistake because he is a legend.....he does no wrong....because of what he did 20 years ago......go figure...

He has done a hell of a job compared to Dave Campo though....if your satisfied with that.... :)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Mash said:
Living in the past I see......what coach do we have on staff now that isn't a puppet?.......

Bill can't make a mistake because he is a legend.....he does no wrong....because of what he did 20 years ago......go figure...

He has done a hell of a job compared to Dave Campo though....if your satisfied with that.... :)

:hammer:

2007 yet?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
bbgun said:
All I know is, the Raiders job must really suck.

:laugh2:

I know, I can't think of any other team that has had so many coaches turn them down.

Txredskins44

Reaction score
Mash said:
So....I applaud Gibbs and his efforts....I thought he did a great job this year considering what he went thru last year.....The Skins are not that talented of a team other then having...Moss, Taylor......and Portis....Moss and Portis were acquired thru trades.

You forgot about Cooley he had a great season, espically week 15.

Txredskins44

Reaction score
bbgun said:
All I know is, the Raiders job must really suck.

I agree the Saints job and the Raiders job would have to be the two worst jobs to have in the NFL right now.

Skins26

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Is it the team who is built for the future, in good cap situation, drafting well.....or is it the team who is built for last year, who if they don't win a super bowl soon, are going to have wasted years and money for nothing, and then suffer through years of working out of cap hell, mortgaging away draft picks and their future to win now.
People have been saying we're going to be in cap trouble the next year since 2000. Still waiting....

Giving away draft picks to win now? Are you joking? We've traded draft picks to get Clinton Portis. Who's 24 years old!
We've traded draft picks....to draft Jason Campbell, our QB of the future! How is this a win now scenario!?

You don't understand how Gibbs works. The same thing that made him successful, he's doing again. The first year he sees how the team is, during the offseason he then begins the building process (1st time around his team was 8-8 the first year, started building process, the next two years his teams went to the Superbowl. 2nd time around his team was 6-10 the first year, started building process, the next year his team was in the playoffs and trend upward will continue - especially with this new hire)

All of this has resulted in 1 playoff victory, where the other team couldn't overcome the most inept offensive performance ever put on by a playoff team, and 1 playoff loss, where they couldn't beat a team that had lost the MVP of the entire league.
It's been just two seasons for crying out loud! lol
What are you talking about!?

We've improved dramatically over just one year, now with this hire.....
Wow

I'm sorry, I'm unimpressed with Danny and Gibbs ability to "get it."
I guess you're more impressed with the Jerry-Parcells combo that has just resulted in 1 playoff apperence and no playoffs wins in 3 seasons?

A little more on the Skins cap and what we can do this offseason:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/18/AR2006011802276.html

superpunk

Reaction score
Skins26 said:
I guess you're more impressed with the Jerry-Parcells combo that has just resulted in 1 playoff apperence and no playoffs wins in 3 seasons?

Actually, what I'm impressed with is how they've built a solid team, that was a couple of kicks away from being 12-4 and winning the division this year. What's even more impressive, is that they've built this team while managing the cap expertly, so that they have room to make moves if they need to. But, if you want to hang your hat on the most pathetic playoff victory of all time, by all means, go ahead. I'll be enjoying watching the Skins dance around just to get under the cap, with no real means to improve their team.

RandyWhiteRules

Reaction score
I'm sure any team with a struggling "O" wouldn't mind picking up some one with this guys credentials. We could have easily benefited with his hire here..

al_saunders.jpg

23rd Year NFL Coach • 15th with Chiefs
Regarded as one of the most accomplished and innovative offensive minds in all of football with experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator, Al Saunders enters his fifth season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator for the Chiefs in 2005.

Embarking on his 36th season in the coaching ranks this year, Saunders owns 23 years of NFL coaching experience and is beginning his 15th coaching campaign with Kansas City. He previously served a 10-year stint as assistant head coach/wide receivers coach under head coach Marty Schottenheimer from ‘89-98. During that 10-year span, he was part of a Chiefs coaching staff which helped guide Kansas City to three AFC West titles and seven playoff berths. In total, Saunders has been associated with 10 postseason appearances, five division crowns and a World Championship during his NFL tenure.

In 2004, the Chiefs led the NFL in total offense for the first time in franchise history, accumulating a franchise-record 6,695 yards or an average of 418.4 ypg. In the process, Kansas City established an NFL record with 398 first downs, breaking the previous mark of 387 set by the ‘84 Dolphins.

In total, the 2004 Chiefs ranked in the NFL’s top five in each of the four major offensive categories for the first time in team history: total offense (1st - 418.4 ypg), scoring offense (2nd - 30.2 ppg), pass offense (4th - 275.4 ypg) and rush offense (5th - 143.1 ypg). Last season, Kansas City also led the NFL in 24 different offensive categories, while tying or breaking 18 different single-season team records, including marks for offensive TDs (58), third-down conversion percentage (47.2%), most games with 400 or more yards of total offense (nine) and most consecutive 400-yard games (five).

Under Saunders, the Chiefs have also continued their unprecedented production in the running game. Kansas City tied a 42-year-old NFL record by registering 63 rushing TDs over the 2003-04 seasons, a two-season mark originally established by the ‘61-62 Packers. Those numbers were bolstered by three-time Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes who registered an NFL-record 27 rushing TDs in 2003. The 2004 Chiefs owned the distinction of becoming the first team in league history to have three different backs produce a 150-yard rushing game in a season and were the initial NFL squad to ever rush for eight TDs in a league contest.

Simply put, Saunders has presided over the NFL’s most prolific scoring offense over the last four seasons. During that span, no NFL team has registered more points than the 1,754 accumulated by the Chiefs, an average of 27.4 ppg. In 2004, Kansas City scored 30+ points in five consecutive games, a first in team history. The Chiefs led the NFL in scoring in both 2002 and 2003, becoming the first AFC team to lead the league in scoring in back-to-back seasons since San Diego in ‘81-82. During the 2003 season alone, the Chiefs piled up a franchise-record 484 points after registering a league-high 467 points in 2002.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/al_saunders/

Fan2005

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
They have a plan but unfortunately it won't improve the team.

The Skins have really pulled a 180 since Gibbs arrived in town. Signing Saunders would just be another coup for Snyder and Gibbs. Thankfully the Skins shouldn't be able to buy anymore players this year because of the Cap.

Salary cap???? D. Snyder knows no CAP!!! They will restructure enough deals and work out the Arrington situation and be the Beast of the East again next yr!!!

Skins26

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Actually, what I'm impressed with is how they've built a solid team, that was a couple of kicks away from being 12-4 and winning the division this year. What's even more impressive, is that they've built this team while managing the cap expertly, so that they have room to make moves if they need to. But, if you want to hang your hat on the most pathetic playoff victory of all time, by all means, go ahead. I'll be enjoying watching the Skins dance around just to get under the cap, with no real means to improve their team.
Are you kidding?
In just his second year, Gibbs has built a team that was a tuck rule and disputed 2 point conversion away from being the number 2 seed in the NFC. I'd take that over 3 years and still no playoff wins any day.

And where are you getting that we can't make any moves? Are you basing that on your own expert opinion? You "experts" have been saying that for over 5 years now!! lol

I'd rather listen to real experts who actually know what they're talking about.