Children's films/cartoon films you enjoy as an adult

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They do on MeTV

At least they’re keeping Saturday mornings alive. The major networks stopped years ago. They started showing cartoons more after school and eventually did away with Saturday morning cartoons. Growing up in Texas we saw the uncle Jay Show and Captain Gus after school. They would show cartoons. After those shows they would show a full hour of Looney Tunes. Captain Gus was a cooler version of Captain Kangaroo. Lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
At least they’re keeping Saturday mornings alive. The major networks stopped years ago. They started showing cartoons more after school and eventually did away with Saturday morning cartoons. Growing up in Texas we saw the uncle Jay Show and Captain Gus after school. They would show cartoons. After those shows they would show a full hour of Looney Tunes. Captain Gus was a cooler version of Captain Kangaroo. Lol

Sounds like quite the fun time. Captain Kangaroo has a really cool name. I imagine in my mind a kangaroo wearing a pilot uniform when I hear that.

quickccc

Reaction score

Who are the TV networks that are keeping the Saturday morning type toons going ?
In my area, it's all about the local news.

The classic Saturday morning toons seem to die out in the late 80's when cable TV channels took over.
Kids may still have cartoon network and Nick toons stations, and maybe the Boomerang channel that was connected to Cartoon network.

I was more the few that rarely watched Captain Kangaroo, as i was more stuck on Sesame Street, Electric Company, all of the
Hanna Barbara toons, 3 Stooges, Looney Toons and Sid and Marty Kroft era .(the Kroft Super Show)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Everybody watched Captain Gus, I really wanted to be one of those kids in the gallery. I remember watching one time and when Captain Gus was interviewing one of the kids, the kid told an off color joke and they immediately went to commercial. That was pretty shocking back then...lol :eek: When they came back from commercial, that kid was gone.....:laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everybody watched Captain Gus, I really wanted to be one of those kids in the gallery. I remember watching one time and when Captain Gus was interviewing one of the kids, the kid told an off color joke and they immediately went to commercial. That was pretty shocking back then...lol :eek: When they came back from commercial, that kid was gone.....:laugh:

I tried getting on the Captain Gus show but the waiting list was something like six weeks so I went on the Bozo show. He was the original creepy clown.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Sounds like quite the fun time. Captain Kangaroo has a really cool name. I imagine in my mind a kangaroo wearing a pilot uniform when I hear that.
No kangaroo suit, but he did have a dancing bear....lol

LawfulBlondAuklet-max-1mb.gif

Here's Captain Kangaroo

c8vWQ-1462211519-3709-list_items-longest_runnin.jpg

chagus

Reaction score
The Secret of NIMH
Finding Nemo
Wall-E
Dungeons and Dragons the cartoon
Spider Man and his Amazing Friends
Anything with Bugs Bunny/ Merrie Melodies
Tom and Jerry
Ren and Stimpy
Flash Gordon (greatest soundtrack ever)
Star Wars

*Not necessarily in that order.

rags747

Reaction score
It was the best of times back then. I would get up just before 6 AM on a Saturday morning, turn on the TV to a snowy screen or the old Indian head test pattern. Within a few minutes cartoon Saturday would begin.
Indian head test pattern, definitely a long long time ago my friend.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Indian head test pattern, definitely a long long time ago my friend.

Unfortunately I was around to remember it. Years later the color bar test pattern came along. If you got up at 3 AM and couldn’t sleep all you had to keep you company if you turned on your TV was a test pattern.