Chip Kelly fired

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought of him, but didn't he bomb as their DC?

He had a really good first year and then not so much the 2nd year before he left. A lot of success as a position coach for Jim Johnson.

You'd think with Chip Kelly's offense and its struggles that the focus would be on getting a new offensive guy but the main talking point right now is the team absolutely must go back to a 4-3 defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought of him, but didn't he bomb as their DC?

He did but he was put in a tough spot. Jim Johnson took a leave of absence in May of 2009 and McDermott was thrust into an interim role. Then two months later, Johnson resigned (and then died four days later) and McDermott really didn't have time to get his feet under him. Reid was under a lot of pressure at that time and McDermott was basically given full control of the defense and just wasn't ready for it.

He fell into a great situation with Rivera in Carolina who was able to provide mentoring and guidance as a head coach who had defensive coordinating experience. McDermott probably needed that from the start but Reid allowed his DCs to do what they wanted with little oversight from him.

Plankton

Reaction score
His-next-job-e1451481925434.jpg

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Especially a guy like Colin Cowherd who consistently stated Kelly was a top five coach.

Cowherd double down on his stupidity and compared Chip to Steve Jobs. Players are coming out left and right complaining and Colin celebrates a man that was just fired. This man has fans, I just can't understand it.

erod

Reaction score
You really think that's the only problem?

Every team has multiple problems in this watered-down, thuggish league. Elite quarterbacks hide the moles.

The NFL is a hot mess of ugly football these days.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Lurie was asked about his conversation with DeMarco having an impact. He said no. He said that he has personal conversations with players about the team on his jet all of the time and it's no big deal.

Could've sworn people said that only Jerry would do that and DeMarco was only doing what he learned in Dallas.

How can this be?

YR

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I heard something interesting this morning about Chip. It was said that when he was with the Ducks that he had 80 first round draft picks (young hungry skilled high school players) to build his roster and that the kids were eager and willing to do exactely what Chip wanted them to do for the opportunity for a scholarship to play football and go to College.

Now, in the NFL he does not have that same opportunity and has to now deal with NFL veterans that are now grown men and Chip does not know how to deal with all that and that is why some players did not like his approach. Chip thought he could just walk into the NFL and deal with players like he did with very young guys in College.

Well, this arrogance is what got him fired. That and for gutting the team from some of the veteran players that were actually good players and replaced them with players he thought he could bully/boss around.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
He had a really good first year and then not so much the 2nd year before he left. A lot of success as a position coach for Jim Johnson.

You'd think with Chip Kelly's offense and its struggles that the focus would be on getting a new offensive guy but the main talking point right now is the team absolutely must go back to a 4-3 defense.

He was fired and discarded by the Eagles so it is probably doubtful they make this hire.

Seems to be outsiders connecting the dots due to his recent success in Carolina and his old position as DC for the Eagles.

Rarely do you see a team hire a head coaching prospect that they have previously fired for poor performance.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was fired and discarded by the Eagles so it is probably doubtful they make this hire.

Seems to be outsiders connecting the dots due to his recent success in Carolina and his old position as DC for the Eagles.

Rarely do you see a team hire a head coaching prospect that they have previously fired for poor performance.

It's the Philly media making that connection.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
It's the Philly media making that connection.

I have heard mostly the "outside" Philly media and some in the National media make this connection, media will speculate regardless but it is doubtful they hire a DC they fired as head coach.

Some of the actual Philly insiders have indicated that they have not heard of this connection from team sources.

Merrill Reese the voice of the Eagles was on NFLN and said he had not heard they were looking at Sean as some speculate, time will tell.

Last edited:

rynochop

Reaction score
No he hasn't.

Yeah, I listened to him today. Mark Cuban was fired once, Steve Jobs was fired, yada yada. No one understands Kelleys genius..geez.
Haven't listened to him much since he went to fox, His little cool pop culture, sports comparisons are so played out. And that chick on his show, she's nice to look at, but she is annoying as hell.

popp1234

Reaction score
This is sad. :)

I haven't felt this bad since that ignominious moment when Michael Irvin laid motionless on the turf at Veterans Stadium, while the Eagles fans cheered his injury.

It could take them a while to recover from "The Genious". Yes, I am truly sadden by this news. :)

Last edited: