Chips for trading for a safety

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Karl Joseph was well thought of enough to have been a first round draft pick. And the Cowboys did bring him in for a visit as well during the draft process. So there's that.

So was Taco.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Collins, Lewis, or taco. Any in a straight up trade for Joseph.

Joseph didn't start out great but really came on strong last season. Seems like a perfect fit for our scheme.

Each of he 3 I'd use in a trade are all players who seem like this maybe be their last on the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So was Taco.

Exactly. That's why at face value this player-for-player deal makes sense for both sides. One disappointing 1st round pick for another. Gives both players a fresh starts and allows both teams to fill a roster need AND save a bit of face.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What do you think the trade value is of an overpaid tackle coming off of major shoulder surgery in a contract year?

We just signed a DE needing shoulder surgery to a bazillion dollars. We just gave up a 1st to get a player we wanted in his contract year.

Collins isn't either of those guys, but he's young and a solid starting RT. Teams can look beyond a surgery to the long term.

*I* am not a fan of giving picks to be able to get a guy in his contract year. But that's me. Others are obviously more interested.

I don't know what teams would be willing to give up. Maybe not much. He should bring a good comp pick next year, but saving 10mil is nothing to sneeze at. It's a tricky one. You shop him and entertain offers.

Depth + comp pick - 10 mil - trade pick value > 0?

But we have been dealing with the Raiders. That's a place to start from.

Beaker42

Reaction score
A lot of times, this Front Office has to have an issue hit them over the head with a hammer before they do anything.

SEE: "We don't need a #1 WR" turn into a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper after 6 games.

If the secondary gets lit up weeks 4 and 5 (Saints & Packers), maybe history will repeat itself.
We’ll just get more sorry *** excuses like we do every time a problem area that could’ve been addressed becomes a huge issue. We ALL KNEW the WR group starting last season was brutal yet they all said “We like this group.” I don’t get it.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I would look at Josh Jones from Green Bay. They signed a FA and drafted Savage. Saw on ESPN he could be a candidate to be traded. Former 2nd round pick in 2017.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We just signed a DE needing shoulder surgery to a bazillion dollars. We just gave up a 1st to get a player we wanted in his contract year.

Collins isn't either of those guys, but he's young and a solid starting RT. Teams can look beyond a surgery to the long term.

*I* am not a fan of giving picks to be able to get a guy in his contract year. But that's me. Others are obviously more interested.

I don't know what teams would be willing to give up. Maybe not much. He should bring a good comp pick next year, but saving 10mil is nothing to sneeze at. It's a tricky one. You shop him and entertain offers.

Depth + comp pick - 10 mil - trade pick value > 0?

But we have been dealing with the Raiders. That's a place to start from.

I see a Taco-for-Joseph deal as far more appealing. But that's just my opinion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we have excesses in these areas:

1. ol after mcgovern - perhaps looney if tfred checks out and mcgovern shows ok as c backup? if not, there are other backup pieces. i read somewhere that chaz is listed as starter ol for raiders :lmao:

2. wr - perhaps hurns if he comes back ok - i am really curious about the udfa wr that runs a 4.3 and is 200lb 6'1". we have ~7 wr or more from last year and fa.

someone already mentioned trading with the raiders for their excess safeties.
which other teams have safeties to spare and need ol/wr?

Yes, they'll trade Hurns for Derwin James...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I see a Taco-for-Joseph deal as far more appealing. But that's just my opinion.

I haven't written off Taco yet, but Collins, pretty much so. Not that he's a bad player, but I don't want to pay him free agent money, or the 10mil this season. Like Leary, we have other places to put our money. And our first string line up will be exactly what we'd do after Collins anyway. Start now. Set the oline for the next 3 years of continuity.

RoboQB

Reaction score
That’s my point. He’s no Ronnie Lott. The Cowboys clearly don’t consider safety a position of value.

The truth is Ronnie Lott couldn't play in this era.
That makes me sad... lol.

I don't really have a point... just sharing my thoughts. (lol)

RoboQB

Reaction score
As Berry sits out there, the closer they get to the season, the less he'll probably take if he wants to play.

I could see the front office re-kicking those tires come August.

"If he's so good, then why....." lol, you know the rest. j/k
It would be a great story, if it works out. Maybe he just needs more time
to heal and they sign him midseason.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I'd dangle Collins out there once he's healed up. Throw in a fourth and see if we can get a good safety. Doesn't even have to be a great one. Just a good one, is that so hard?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't written off Taco yet, but Collins, pretty much so. Not that he's a bad player, but I don't want to pay him free agent money, or the 10mil this season. Like Leary, we have other places to put our money. And our first string line up will be exactly what we'd do after Collins anyway. Start now. Set the oline for the next 3 years of continuity.

I'll trade away a guy who's a healthy scratch (Taco) over my current starting right tackle if I could, even if he is admittedly overpaid.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Hum... so much negativity hea!! What gives cowboy fans? Do we all believe S has been a sore spot for this team, sure. Do we all believe Heath is the answer, that the lights will come on and he won't look like a dufus being jigged off a sure fore tackle, sure. Does Iloka give us the answer we were all hoping for, hum more on that later(like after seeing him play) did taking the S in the late rounds address it to some degree with us??/// Another have to wait and see. Well ok, I can see the reasons for most of the negative karma, but for some reason, in the back of my mind, I believe we will be just fine. I smell a 10+ win season coming and I'm serious. I also see us beating the defending SB champs when we go meet them. Call me gullible but I really believe the team is going to be better then last season. I for one am staying positive, until this team give's me a reason to feel other wise. EDIT: Add to this the fact the sorta, kind of GM is calling these half a**** players out, and I do believe we have the makings of a balls out defense/offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'll trade away a guy who's a healthy scratch (Taco) over my current starting right tackle if I could, even if he is admittedly overpaid.

I hope the team is still around after this year. Collins won't be. Taco could be. And it's unlikely he's hit his peak yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope the team is still around after this year. Collins won't be. Taco could be.

Who started 16 games and who was a healthy scratch? Which position did the team trade for and pay the new guy $8 million? What position did they also use two draft picks on this year and another one last year (Armstrong)?

And it's unlikely he's hit his peak yet.

What are the odds at this point that he even has one?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who started 16 games and who was a healthy scratch? Which position did the team trade for and pay the new guy $8 million? What position did they also use two draft picks on this year and another one last year (Armstrong)?
What are the odds at this point that he even has one?

They *didn't* scratch Taco in the playoffs.
I'm not denying that Taco may end up being a bust. He may also not be a bust. They thought he had promise once. I don't see them giving up on the next 3 years that easily.

The plan for the future of the oline is set. At this point, Collins is a progress stopper for Williams, McGovern, and the whole oline. We know where we're going. Make the transition now and start making progress down that path.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They *didn't* scratch Taco in the playoffs.

But they did during the season. A huge black mark for anyone's career, especially a first round pick.
I'm not denying that Taco may end up being a bust. He may also not be a bust. They thought he had promise once. I don't see them giving up on the next 3 years that easily.

Look at their actions. What do they tell you?

The plan for the future of the oline is set. At this point, Collins is a progress stopper for Williams, McGovern, and the whole oline. We know where we're going. Make the transition now and start making progress down that path.

Agree to disagree. Move the healthy scratch, not your current starting right tackle.