Chop Robinson

1942willys

Reaction score
Chop is your pet, I get it. For me, if you are drafting a pass rusher, he needs a track record of getting QBs on the ground. He doesnt have that. This team cant afford to draft another player full of potential in the 1st round that never realizes it.
for all the talk about pressures, it is sacks that have the most impact. This guy does not show that

tm1119

Reaction score
Chop is your pet, I get it. For me, if you are drafting a pass rusher, he needs a track record of getting QBs on the ground. He doesnt have that. This team cant afford to draft another player full of potential in the 1st round that never realizes it.
I was just making you aware that your comparison made zero sense…and now that you dropped it and just got defensive I see that I succeeded. Mission accomplished

raven55

Reaction score
don't worry jerry is not running the team now his moron boy is don't give it a second thought he will screw it up

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
for all the talk about pressures, it is sacks that have the most impact. This guy does not show that

Sacks have a very small sample size and tend to be noisy. DEs in college might rush the passer 300 times a season... it doesn't take much of a fluke to get from say 6 sacks to 8 sacks. A blown assignment here, a QB scrambling into a defender there.

Pressures are a higher volume stat and are thus more reliable. They also correlate better with NFL success better than raw sacks totals. DE who takes 300 rushes at the quarterback and gets say 60 pressures is showing a consistently higher-level ability to beat blocks than a guy with 40 pressures. He isn't fluking into anything.

Chop had the 9th highest pass rush win rate in the nation at 20.9%... that's a pretty typical number for 1st round DEs. If he's getting off blocks that often, the sacks will come.

Also just as a segue, TFLs are an extremely predictive stat. They have a small sample size like sacks do, so you'd think they'd be noisy, but they correlate really well with pro success. My best explanation is that to get a TFL on a run play, you pretty much have to beat your man instantly, so dudes with lots of TFLs are consistently showing that ability.

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score
Sacks have a very small sample size and tend to be noisy. DEs in college might rush the passer 300 times a season... it doesn't take much of a fluke to get from say 6 sacks to 8 sacks. A blown assignment here, a QB scrambling into a defender there.

Pressures are a higher volume stat and are thus more reliable. They also correlate better with NFL success better than raw sacks totals. DE who takes 300 rushes at the quarterback and gets say 60 pressures is showing a consistently higher-level ability to beat blocks than a guy with 40 pressures. He isn't fluking into anything.

Chop had the 9th highest pass rush win rate in the nation at 20.9%... that's a pretty typical number for 1st round DEs. If he's getting off blocks that often, the sacks will come.

Also just as a segue, TFLs are an extremely predictive stat. They have a small sample size like sacks do, so you'd think they'd be noisy, but they correlate really well with pro success. My best explanation is that to get a TFL on a run play, you pretty much have to beat your man instantly, so dudes with lots of TFLs are consistently showing that ability.
Pressures are reliable?
Is not a pressure subjective to the QB? I am guessing what is pressure to Mahomes and what is pressure to say Sam Darnold are rather different, correct?
I hear this pressure claim again and again from wannabe internet experts.
The impact a sack can have to a game is immense; amazing how some seem to not understand that

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pressures are reliable?
Is not a pressure subjective to the QB? I am guessing what is pressure to Mahomes and what is pressure to say Sam Darnold are rather different, correct?
I hear this pressure claim again and again from wannabe internet experts.
The impact a sack can have to a game is immense; amazing how some seem to not understand that
The more times you beat a blocker, the more chances at a sack you'll get, and the more sacks you'll ultimately collect. The numbers tend to even out in the long run.

The NFL's pressure leaders in 2023 are a who's-who of sack artists.

Flamma

Reaction score
If this player falls to us should we take him over any OL available? I honestly know very little about most of this draft class, but if he is better than an OL player available I don't think we should force the OL pick.
Falls to us? The big board I'm looking at has him ranked at 30. I'd say there is a better than average chance he's on the board.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
You guys cannot overlook the PSU factor cuz it’s a real thing.

The coaching staff at PSU has a way of tossing a Harry Potter invisibility cloak over unique athletic skillsets.

Chop will be a better pro than a college player just as Micah has magically proven to be a better pass rusher in the pros than college.

Chop won’t be the only PSU guy that will have people once again saying, “What the hell is Franklin doin’ with these guys?”

cnuball21

Reaction score

Well said…I wish more people understood this.