Video: Chris Simms - simple fix for Dallas

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Nooooooo....line up, beat your man. That's what we do. If you have a clearly better player at every position, you have a 50/50 shot.

Unless of course they value paychecks over winning...

I guess that speaks to the potential 8-8 record lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly...Lets not try to do what the most successful football coach of all time does...and talks about ...not even like he keep it a secret. Instead we pretend we're the 90" Cowboys..and then wonder why it doesn't work

Because we're not the 90s Cowboys? Just a guess.

Even though Jimmy Johnson didn't have the most creative offense he was smart enough to disguise run/pass by having every play from under center using limited formations.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Exactly...Lets not try to do what the most successful football coach of all time does...and talks about ...not even like he keep it a secret. Instead we pretend we're the 90" Cowboys..and then wonder why it doesn't work
Anyone who knew is then, saw jimmy schemed to use his teams strengths and exploit the opponents weakness's. And he was continually adjusting ingame....Garrett's an idiot who cant even motivate a team.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think most of what Chris is saying is what we've been saying all the time. The problem is Garrett. It's just that obvious.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The only “simple fix” is to blow it all up. Simple as that. It’s like when your car is totaled. It’s cheaper, easier, and better overall to say bye bye and not even think to attempt to fix your old car, and hello to a new one. That’s the only solution. Rid half the roster. Blow the entire coaching staff. Rid of the rest of the roster after next season to make an easier transition.
You gonna lock the Joneses in the basement?

Paradox

Reaction score
He says in short we don't have an identity, and can't set up drives because we don't tie plays together. It's more like picking plays from a Rolodex. He also says we run only two or three defenses and that is why we get picked apart. Easy to game plan against three sets. Right on all points.

Every head coach and offensive coordinator at the professional and collegiate levels should know about tricking a defense by setting them up, because even children who watch regularly and/or play Madden know this. I agree with firing the entire coaching staff.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Cowboys have the best point differential (+82) and yardage differential (+1,426) of any sub-.500 team in the Super Bowl era. Last year when they won the NFC East with a 10-6 record, they had a point differential of +15 and a yardage differential of +233.
So, by the numbers, they overachieved last year and underachieved this year.
Or...they were overly lucky this year and abnormally unlucky this year.
Take your pick.

As long as we're honest about it, I'm fine.
Just don't want to see people point to this numerical anomaly this year as the coaches fault but then not say the opposite about last year....can't have it both ways.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There are some good coaches on the team.

Kitna, KMoore, Columbo, Brown, and KRichard are all keepers.

I'd hate to see a clean sweep.

Marinelli and Quinn need to be fired yesterday.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
There are some good coaches on the team.

Kitna, KMoore, Columbo, Brown, and KRichard are all keepers.

I'd hate to see a clean sweep.

Marinelli and Quinn need to be fired yesterday.

Hire a competent, winning head coach with a proven track record and let him pick who works for him. If he decides to keep any of the current coaches I’m fine with that, but if he fires them all I’m fine with that too. If we’re entrusting the new head coach to fix this team, we should entrust him to hire who he thinks can help him get that job done.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys desperately need to hire the best coaches and coordinators available on both sides of the ball. Hopefully, they'll manage to succeed in that endeavor. Too many other teams and their coaches have outdone this team drastically in the past two decades to allow mediocre changes at this juncture. Obviously, it's well past time for that to change. It'd be shameful for this team's reputation to be tarnished any more than it has been already. It's time for coaches with common sense and sound planning to finally take over.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
Great analysis by Simms, but before you agree with him, ask yourself, have I been one of hose proponents of running the football every game? Have I been that guy who wants Zeke getting 30 carries without consideration for the defense he facing? Because if you answered yes then you are not getting what Simms is saying. What drives me crazy about the Cowboys is they never seem to understand what their opponents does well or what they are trying to do to stop the Cowboys offense. The same is true for the defense. Like Simms said, against the Eagles it was obvious in two drives what they were doing on offense. Its the same thing they did against the Giants in the 4th quarter of their comeback victory. Short, quick throws to avoid Wentz having to make throws under pressure. The Cowboys never adjusted the game plan.

On offense its even worse. Against the Eagles the Cowboys ran Zeke on 6 of their first 7 first downs. You know what they did on 2nd down. They threw the football 7 of 7 times. The Cowboys ran the ball 17 times, including one run by Dak that was really a scramble. They ran 10 times on 1st down, 3 times on 2nd down and 4 times on 3rd down and 3 of those 3rd down runs were 3rd and 1. The other 3rd down run was Dak on a 3rd and 10 scramble. Do you think the Cowboys are predictable? But how about this? Zeke ran 2 times on 2nd and 10. He gained 9 yards on each of those carries! The other 2nd down run was a 2nd and 2 to Pollard for 1 yard.

The problem with the Cowboys, at least against the Eagles exactly what Simms says. The Cowboys were trying to force the run on 1st down into loaded fronts. Then they would throw the football when the Eagles were expecting them to throw. The Eagles are not a good pass defense and the Cowboys should have been throwing downfield on 1st down more often.

Here is a question, if the Eagles watched the video of the Rams-Cowboys game and saw the Cowboys run for 260 yards, what would you think the Eagles would try to do on defense? The answer is obvious. So if you are the Cowboys and you send your offense onto the field knowing the Eagles are a poor pass defense, what should your game plan be?

morat1959

Reaction score
Hire a competent, winning head coach with a proven track record and let him pick who works for him. If he decides to keep any of the current coaches I’m fine with that, but if he fires them all I’m fine with that too. If we’re entrusting the new head coach to fix this team, we should entrust him to hire who he thinks can help him get that job done.
This is exactly what we need but it’ll never happen with the clown who plays GM.