Video: Chris Simms' simple fix for the Dallas Cowboys | Chris Simms

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
What stood out the most in my opinion and what I've been complaining about JG since he's been head coach is not being patient with the run game. We've seen it a dozen times, over and over. The run is building momentum, and then we abandon it.
For example, if I'm running the offense, even if Elliott is gassed, dinged or saw stars I'm keeping him in the game because for all the defense knows, he's ok and it MIGHT go to him.
Instead, he takes himself out because he took a hit or is gassed you can almost guarantee it's a pass play. And of course if the running game is gashing the defense for positive yards, I'm grinding it even more. This gets Pollard more involved and wears down the defense. Plus it keeps your defense fresher.

I have no clue what Garrett is thinking because it's so predictable that he'll start passing.

It has been an issue since he was the offensive coordinator.

He would get called out in the media and get back to running it for a few weeks before reverting back to being pass-happy the moment they fell behind.

None of the coaches have a feel for the game either. They never adjust to what is working in a given game, they just continue to run the same crap over and over.

Reactions: G2

bewp7

Reaction score
For those of you who don't have the time to watch it he said that the Cowboys' coaches don't provide a "schematical advantage" for the players. The defense gives predictable looks that allows offensive coordinators to scheme against them. And he calls the offensive playcalling "rolodex plays". Many of us have been saying that for 5+ years with Garrett. Zero coaching advantage which puts all the pressure on the players every single Sunday.

re: the defense u would think that after the jets game when sam darnold straight up said that the jets knew exactly what the cowboys were going to do and that they do the same thing every week the coaches might...adjust idk. crazy talk i guess!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It has been an issue since he was the offensive coordinator.

He would get called out in the media and get back to running it for a few weeks before reverting back to being pass-happy the moment they fell behind.

None of the coaches have a feel for the game either. They never adjust to what is working in a given game, they just continue to run the same crap over and over.
You're right, it's been an issue since he's been OC. I had to think back, With Barber, Jones and Choice. It was the same.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
For those of you who don't have the time to watch it he said that the Cowboys' coaches don't provide a "schematical advantage" for the players. The defense gives predictable looks that allows offensive coordinators to scheme against them. And he calls the offensive playcalling "rolodex plays". Many of us have been saying that for 5+ years with Garrett. Zero coaching advantage which puts all the pressure on the players every single Sunday.
I seriously dont know why anyone would care what ANY national media dude would have to say - every single one of them are now starting to say things most of us have been talking about for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What stood out the most in my opinion and what I've been complaining about JG since he's been head coach is not being patient with the run game. We've seen it a dozen times, over and over. The run is building momentum, and then we abandon it.
For example, if I'm running the offense, even if Elliott is gassed, dinged or saw stars I'm keeping him in the game because for all the defense knows, he's ok and it MIGHT go to him.
Instead, he takes himself out because he took a hit or is gassed you can almost guarantee it's a pass play. And of course if the running game is gashing the defense for positive yards, I'm grinding it even more. This gets Pollard more involved and wears down the defense. Plus it keeps your defense fresher.

I have no clue what Garrett is thinking because it's so predictable that he'll start passing.

Even in college....Urban knew to keep Zeke in. He might have 50 yards in the first half....and 120 in the second. I do not know what's up with the "cash me out coach" sign he keeps doing. This isn't the zeke I've see for 7 years. Holdout? Paycheck? Weight? I dunno.....but has to stop.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Even in college....Urban knew to keep Zeke in. He might have 50 yards in the first half....and 120 in the second. I do not know what's up with the "cash me out coach" sign he keeps doing. This isn't the zeke I've see for 7 years. Holdout? Paycheck? Weight? I dunno.....but has to stop.
Maybe JG, being a QB himself just can't help himself wanting the passing game to be the focal point, even if it's a determine.

ondaedg

Reaction score
re: the defense u would think that after the jets game when sam darnold straight up said that the jets knew exactly what the cowboys were going to do and that they do the same thing every week the coaches might...adjust idk. crazy talk i guess!

That's the legacy of Garrett. He doesn't make adjustments and doesn't believe in deception or the importance of disguising your plays in an era where disguise is more important than ever.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I really don't have an opinion on Chris Simms and this the longest I've listened to him talk, but I think he absolutely nailed it.

From a schematic standpoint, we don't do much. From a game flow standpoint, we're a really weird team. I just really think Garret was exposed years ago and Jerry has been stubborn and doubled down on his bold proclamations about Garrett.

Marinelli is an older guy who had success decades ago and Jerry likes that. Rod's defense is bad. His schemes and ideas are outdated. His draft opinion has been proven to be bad. Jerry surrounded himself with coaches that make him feel comfortable and validate his wannabe "Football Guy" persona.

Fire. Them. All.

Jerry isn't going to go away. We just need a coach with the clout to make the players fear and respect him, as well as the technical knowledge and courage to maximize the talent.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He summed up this offense really well. There isn't an overall scheme that has plays that feed off each other for the most part.

They go under center on first down and run for 7 yards then the next 2 first-down plays they are in shotgun or spread with no back.

There is no doubt in my mind....Kellen has been forced to incorporate the Garrett playbook. It's garbage. but I think that's been part of the problem.

Second....not once did Simms mention Philly was running an 8 man front on first down most of the game. It just screamed for us to run play action off it....but I'm sure Kellen was under orders to keep it on the ground on first down...keep the game close.

Hence lies the problem. If your not going to trust Kellen to design and call the plays...then Garrett can run his own damn crap offense. End of rant. :rolleyes:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind....Kellen has been forced to incorporate the Garrett playbook. It's garbage. but I think that's been part of the problem.

Second....not once did Simms mention Philly was running an 8 man front on first down most of the game. It just screamed for us to run play action off it....but I'm sure Kellen was under orders to keep it on the ground on first down...keep the game close.

Hence lies the problem. If your not going to trust Kellen to design and call the plays...then Garrett can run his own damn crap offense. End of rant. :rolleyes:

There is no doubt in my mind that this is JG's offense with a few different wrinkles mixed in and Moore calling the plays.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I agree with Sims. Dallas' offense looks like a collection of situational plays that they randomly draw from a hat. The option play was easily one of the worst play calls I've ever seen.

One thing I really haven't cared for is how often Dallas invites the defense to stack the box. Have all these resources dedicated to the OL, and they line a TE up next to the tackle and then throw a FB in the backfield. Wanna know why teams put 8 guys in the box? Dallas invites them to stack the box. Put 6 guys on the line and 3 in the backfield, what is the defense supposed to do? The option play was out of a 3-TE formation and they were all stacked on the line. Shocker, the Eagles had 9 guys in the box.

As an aside, how was Fletcher Cox not in the Neutral Zone on that option play?

Just before the snap:

mca2rcP.png

Immediately after the snap, and the ball has moved a few inches:

Fi1STzg.png

Is that not "in the Neutral Zone"? Honest question, do I misunderstand the rule? If so, how much further would Cox need to be for it to be a penalty?

Anyway, a great OL should win the majority of the plays where they don't have to account for the extra bodies so make it simple and force the defense to spread itself out. Create a situation where they either have to compromise coverage for run support, or they have to compromise run support for coverage.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Funny how last week analysts like Baldinger and Orlovsky said this is one of the most diverse run games in the league. Now it’s totally predictable. Analysts change their opinions every week