Video: Chris Simms: The offense is too simple

CCBoy

Reaction score
Vertical routes seem to favor the talent of the Cowboys receivers. It also also allows flex as to when or where only the receiver has the advantage.

Way to often Dallas attempts to just get lucky, and not to force successes onto the defenses. This goes with the passing and running games. The team doesn't often present a side that implies this is what we do, now stop us. Opponents just attack the easy to overcome 'strengths.'

sbark

Reaction score
Maybe it has to be kept simple....just saying

J.Goff was playing at Super Bowl level until Bill Belichick exposed him in the S.B.
Teams forceing reads to be faster post snap....o.line not helping

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Moore was taught by Linny and JG folks. He loves the button hook too just like them. I’m hoping that he’s holding back for the playoffs. We’ve been very vanilla for over a month but still talented enough to win the East.

Button hook is the only route that works with Cooper that's their bread and butter

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Is it possible for him to show the whole play instead of switching over to still shots of the players?

Anyway, he came right out of the conversational gate with the biggest issue.....the Oline. It has been terrible and for some reason feels like it has regressed since the beginning of the year.

loublue22

Reaction score
we rarely run crossing routes. we rarely run any kind of natural pick plays. currently we seem to call 10-15 plays a game where the play design is for Dak to take the snap and immediately throw a 3 yard out

it's either Dak or Moore

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If big mike has any guts, he'll take over play calling asap, keeping everything the same because he didn't want dak to have learn new terminology and plays was stupid.

I agree. I'd like Mike to take over the playcalling.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We have a Te in the backfield instead of 2 rbs.

Our tes don't have those skillsets. Just like they got no biz on the field on 3rd and 27.

It just goes to show how sdupid this offensive scheme is. The talent at te doesn't justify the overinvolvement. We saw it with 82 for 7+ years

This vanilla scheme may beat some scrub teams but it's not going very far against playoff defenses.

We're playing football not tic tac toe. Lmao

I think Stephen and Jerry are calling down the plays.

Somebody with an idealized te mindset has a big influence in the plays.

I'm surprised the te isn't playing QB and RB too it's so sdupid. Lmao

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread how Dak seemed to thrive in an uptempo style . That and he’s more effective under center then shotgun .

I know some DB is dying to jump that WR screen where 4 hooks up with a pass to 88 that’s not vertical. .

Yeah, we rely on that screen too much. They can see it coming. Pick six in the playoffs, and FG’s instead of TD’s in the RZ will be the death of us.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yeah, for defenses .. works great :D

If the QB misses, like both examples in the video. I mean, call it uncreative, but in both examples after Simms called them simple he said the receivers were open and Dak missed.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This was my biggest complaint against Garrett's offense .. the comeback routes.

I can never understand why you would make it easy on the defender to defend or intercept the ball by letting them face forward.

The offensive player knows where he is going, there is no reason to show the defensive back that as well before the throw.

The Cowboys need to start running vertical plays instead of curls and comebacks all the time. Vertical does not mean it has to be 30 yards down the field either.

You can play vertical with 5 and 10 yard throws with slants or even just straight routes.

Sigh......when are people gonna learn when you have a QB with accuracy problems.....having him hit a moving target deeper down field...is going to be a problem?

It's amazing Kellen has gotten this much out of Dak.....:popcorn:

But honestly...the real problem is a lack of a home run threat @ RB. No one is afraid of our RBs breaking one to the house. No one respects our run game....which makes play action useless.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the QB misses, like both examples in the video. I mean, call it uncreative, but in both examples after Simms called them simple he said the receivers were open and Dak missed.
I complained about this with Romo as well, as my comments are not directed at Dak.

I do not hate all comeback routes, I just do not think they need to be the mainstay of an offense. You need to keep the defense on their heels not knowing if your receiver is going to stop and turn back or stop and go.

Zman5

Reaction score
Something is definitely up because this is how our offense used to be earlier in the season. Notice the different route combos we used run more often.
You can see us beating cover 4 and cover 2 defenses in the video. I don't know what happened and why we aren't running the same route concepts anymore but Amari's rescent complains tells me something must be going on at the Star.

And this is Baldinger break down of Moore's offense from 2019. Look at all the pre snap motions and RPO concepts we used in the video. Something we did more often earlier in the season.

And this is Voch's break down of presnap motions we used in 2019.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Such simple route concepts. No wonder Arizona was jumping all our routes. We’re running a freaking high school offense ***??!!

It's been the exact same offense for 15 years. Ya got the 11 and the 12 personell and occasionally there's a Te or lb playing RB. That's all folks

Reactions: Ken

Acheman08

Reaction score
Is it possible for him to show the whole play instead of switching over to still shots of the players?

Anyway, he came right out of the conversational gate with the biggest issue.....the Oline. It has been terrible and for some reason feels like it has regressed since the beginning of the year.
Im guessing he cant show the actual play or something because of rights, but who knows. And to be honest, I agree with him on most of what he said. I said it a couple days ago...our receivers are running straight, 1 yard past the sticks, and turning around. Dak then has to fastball it there after they have turned around. No anticipation. Aikman was a master of that in his day. Irvin said he could hear the ball coming like a missile before he even got to his spot and turned around. Dak holds the ball too long and always has. Sometimes he makes an amazing throw but most of the time its button hook fastballs.