Christian Music

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Check this out. I am an agnostic, therefore not Christian (for the logically impaired). But I once was (or thought I was) and have many friends who are. I am therefore exposed to Christian popular music.

For the most part, I can't stand it. Its folk music with a message. Watch A Mighty Wind, insert Jesus, bada bing. But there are 2 or 3 bands that I really enjoy and still listen to.

The Paul Colman Trio (I think it's just PC now). This Aussie band is terrific, great chords.

Caedmon's Call. I went, briefly, to Fellowship Church in Grapevine. One of those Mega churches with a Starbucks inside. Nice joint. The preacher's brother is the lead singer. But they have another vocalist, Derrick Webb, who is AMAZING. Great voice.

I should say, I don't listen to music for lyrics. Lyrics = poetry. I prefer Shakespeare or Poe. I listen to music for music. The lyrics, for me, are a tool to use the vocal intrument. These songs could be professing to worship Satan for all I care - if the music is good, then I listen to it.

Just wanted to spout off my pleasure of these bands who are ideologically far from me.

Hoov

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Check this out. I am an agnostic, therefore not Christian (for the logically impaired). But I once was (or thought I was) and have many friends who are. I am therefore exposed to Christian popular music.

For the most part, I can't stand it. Its folk music with a message. Watch A Mighty Wind, insert Jesus, bada bing. But there are 2 or 3 bands that I really enjoy and still listen to.

The Paul Colman Trio (I think it's just PC now). This Aussie band is terrific, great chords.

Caedmon's Call. I went, briefly, to Fellowship Church in Grapevine. One of those Mega churches with a Starbucks inside. Nice joint. The preacher's brother is the lead singer. But they have another vocalist, Derrick Webb, who is AMAZING. Great voice.

I should say, I don't listen to music for lyrics. Lyrics = poetry. I prefer Shakespeare or Poe. I listen to music for music. The lyrics, for me, are a tool to use the vocal intrument. These songs could be professing to worship Satan for all I care - if the music is good, then I listen to it.

Just wanted to spout off my pleasure of these bands who are ideologically far from me.

For me the Lyrics often determine if i like a song or not. music has shaped soooo much of my lifes philosophy. And often i think the overall sound of a song is meant to add impact to the words and the meaning or emotion the song is intended to convey.
John Lennon, Dylan, Grateful Dead...these guys wrote from a wealth of life experiences and share their found wisdom in their lyrics.
I tend to like the deeper and dark songs best, songs that are introspective, that make you sit and really reflect on life with all its ups and downs.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I really enjoy Christian music, and I especially enjoy the lyrics. I truly believe there's an annointing on some of it.

I like MercyMe, Jaci Velazquez, Rachael Lampa, Matt Redman ....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hoov said:
For me the Lyrics often determine if i like a song or not. music has shaped soooo much of my lifes philosophy. And often i think the overall sound of a song is meant to add impact to the words and the meaning or emotion the song is intended to convey.
John Lennon, Dylan, Grateful Dead...these guys wrote from a wealth of life experiences and share their found wisdom in their lyrics.
I tend to like the deeper and dark songs best, songs that are introspective, that make you sit and really reflect on life with all its ups and downs.

I think there is a major reason that I don't like acts such as Bob Dylan, Drateful Dead, etc. I just don't listen to lyrics. Never have....musical lyrics have never moved me like the actual music (notes/sounds/chords, etc) do.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
STRYPER RULES!

j/k
LMAO, I can't even keep a straight face while typing that.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
STRYPER RULES!

j/k
LMAO, I can't even keep a straight face while typing that.

People laughed at stryper...but they had some very good guitar and drum playing in that band....btw I have heard they have got back together to put another album out.

Now anyone that knows me, knows that I am not a christian but I liked the music that stryper did (not the lyrics) and I also think that Petra is a heck of a band.

Hoov

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I think there is a major reason that I don't like acts such as Bob Dylan, Drateful Dead, etc. I just don't listen to lyrics. Never have....musical lyrics have never moved me like the actual music (notes/sounds/chords, etc) do.

That could be why you dont like those groups. A good frind of mine who usually shares my taste in music also doesn't pay attention to lyrics, and i never understood that. we'll be talking about a song and i'll say something about how moving that song is and ask him a question and he says something like "i dont know the words to that song". and im like, we listen to it all the time, how do you not know the words ? i couldnt block out the words if i tried to, i end up hearing them anyway. A lot of times i hate it when people talk in the car when one of my favorite songs comes on, im like stop and listen, this song is intense.
Anyway, to me music is like poetry, only better because the words become charged with the energy of the music, like when the singer will sing a line and then the guitar comes in, its like added emphasis. i think a really good artist will be able to take the words of a song and write music to accompany or a solo that conveys the emotional tone of what the lyricist is trying to say. Music adds emotion to the words for me.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
People laughed at stryper...but they had some very good guitar and drum playing in that band....btw I have heard they have got back together to put another album out.

Now anyone that knows me, knows that I am not a christian but I liked the music that stryper did (not the lyrics) and I also think that Petra is a heck of a band.

Well ya know, after their popularity as a christian band waned they changed to a satanic band and put out an album. I never liked stryper much.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Well ya know, after their popularity as a christian band waned they changed to a satanic band and put out an album. I never liked stryper much.

I never knew they put out a "satanic' album....I heard that some of the members got into drugs but never heard that about the "satanic" thing.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I never knew they put out a "satanic' album....I heard that some of the members got into drugs but never heard that about the "satanic" thing.

I can't remember if it was Satanic but it wasn't very Christian. I'm trying to find it but I think it was under a different name so I'm having troubles. I'll find it though and let you know.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
I can't remember if it was Satanic but it wasn't very Christian. I'm trying to find it but I think it was under a different name so I'm having troubles. I'll find it though and let you know.

They did leave those terrible black and yellow outfits behind and write an album that although still was christian, just did not have the over the top christian lyrics in them like they used to have.

Many may have confused that with them turning "satanic".

However one also has to remember that the cross over hit/s ...Honestly (I think that was the name of the song) was a song that did not have many actually words that specifically said they were singing about jesus or god....yet it was implied to those that followed the band. Yet because it did not use the words, it crossed over to the main stream.

I think they probably tried to follow up on that idea that they could sing christian songs yet not have to have ever song with god or jesus mentioned a hundred times but still imply the message....hoping they would still continue to sell albums.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
They did leave those terrible black and yellow outfits behind and write an album that although still was christian, just did not have the over the top christian lyrics in them like they used to have.

However one also has to remember that the cross over hit/s ...Honestly (I think that was the name of the song) was a song that did not have many actually words that specifically said they were singing about jesus or god....yet it was implied to those that followed the band. Yet because it did not use the words, it crossed over to the main stream.

I think they probably tried to follow up on that idea that they could sing christian songs yet not have to have ever song with god or jesus mentioned a hundred times but still imply the message....hoping they would still continue to sell albums.

Maybe but I could have sworn otherwise. The album I'm thinking of( I can kinda see it in my head ) isn't on any of their discography's so I may be wrong. I'll keep looking.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Maybe but I could have sworn otherwise. The album I'm thinking of( I can kinda see it in my head ) isn't on any of their discography's so I may be wrong. I'll keep looking.

After that album I am talking about...they broke up.
The one sweet brother (guitarist/singer) did a solo stint until recently where he got the group back together.

Now Oz Fox ( the other guitarist) is the guy I think that got into drugs so maybe he or some of the other guys did stuff on the side (satanic bands) and I could not even to speculate if he did or did not....but I am pretty sure that they, stryper, as a band never did a satanic album.

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

BP, just admit it, they sold their soul to the devil to sell more albums. :devil:

j/k

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
After that album I am talking about...they broke up.
The one sweet brother (guitarist/singer) did a solo stint until recently where he got the group back together.

Now Oz Fox ( the other guitarist) is the guy I think that got into drugs so maybe he or some of the other guys did stuff on the side (satanic bands) and I could not even to speculate if he did or did not....but I am pretty sure that they, stryper, as a band never did a satanic album.

I can't find the album that I'm thinking of. I don't know why I would have thought that all these years, but maybe I was making stuff up in my head because I never really liked them. LOL

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoov said:
BP, just admit it, they sold their soul to the devil to sell more albums. :devil:

j/k

That would be the wrong band....

B000002KGA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

^^^^Greatness by the way^^^^

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:

*blank stare*

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Surprised noone has mentioned Creed and their claim to spirituality yet would be seen hanging out at strip bars after concerts.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Surprised noone has mentioned Creed and their claim to spirituality yet would be seen hanging out at strip bars after concerts.

Ya, not a big Creed/Alter Bridge fan either.

I did always think Amy Grant was hot though.

Hoov

Reaction score
GTaylor said:

well i would categorize them as "liberal christians", at least when they first began. their songs seem to be more about spirituality and less about the christian religion, if that makes sense. can't remeber the singers name but in one video it shows him pulling himself out of the water, as if he is "saving" himself. A lot of very liberal christians hold firm to the beleif that we are responsible for our own lives, our own salvation or spiritual well being, as in salvation = pulling ourselves out of our own hell or state of ignorance, the awakening of the spiritual mind.
and so enlightrnment is more important than trying to be a saint and following religious doctrine. in fact many spiritual teachers from various religions around the world felt that indulgence is a way that can lead to liberation and enlightenment.