Christian Music

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Check this out. I am an agnostic, therefore not Christian (for the logically impaired). But I once was (or thought I was) and have many friends who are. I am therefore exposed to Christian popular music.

For the most part, I can't stand it. Its folk music with a message. Watch A Mighty Wind, insert Jesus, bada bing. But there are 2 or 3 bands that I really enjoy and still listen to.

The Paul Colman Trio (I think it's just PC now). This Aussie band is terrific, great chords.

Caedmon's Call. I went, briefly, to Fellowship Church in Grapevine. One of those Mega churches with a Starbucks inside. Nice joint. The preacher's brother is the lead singer. But they have another vocalist, Derrick Webb, who is AMAZING. Great voice.

I should say, I don't listen to music for lyrics. Lyrics = poetry. I prefer Shakespeare or Poe. I listen to music for music. The lyrics, for me, are a tool to use the vocal intrument. These songs could be professing to worship Satan for all I care - if the music is good, then I listen to it.

Just wanted to spout off my pleasure of these bands who are ideologically far from me.
I know how you feel.

Although I am a Christian, there are many secular bands that don't stake any claims to having any moral, spiritual or religious roots that I enjoy tremendously. Rush happens to one of them. I've been a big Rush fan for more than 20 years.

But to address the issue of lyrics VS music as a reason to listen to music. There are some Christian artists that have written lyrics that really appeal to me, but because the music does not, I just don't listen to it.

On the other hand, there are some secular artists that have written lyrics that indirectly attack my spiritual beliefs or Christians in general that if the song comes on the radio, I'll listen to it because I love well written music.

I dont know how much truth there is to this statement, but some believe that because lucifer was the worship or music master before he was cast out of heaven, he really works extra hard to lead those who have musical talent away from God.

Which if there is any truth to that would explain why so many profoundly talented muscians have traveled a darker road lyrically with their music.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StarKist said:
I know how you feel.

Although I am a Christian, there are many secular bands that don't stake any claims to having any moral, spiritual or religious roots that I enjoy tremendously. Rush happens to one of them. I've been a big Rush fan for more than 20 years.

But to address the issue of lyrics VS music as a reason to listen to music. There are some Christian artists that have written lyrics that really appeal to me, but because the music does not, I just don't listen to it.

On the other hand, there are some secular artists that have written lyrics that indirectly attack my spiritual beliefs or Christians in general that if the song comes on the radio, I'll listen to it because I love well written music.

I dont know how much truth there is to this statement, but some believe that because lucifer was the worship or music master before he was cast out of heaven, he really works extra hard to lead those who have musical talent away from God.

Which if there is any truth to that would explain why so many profoundly talented muscians have traveled a darker road lyrically with their music.

"Let the music be your master. will you heed the masters call
Oh... satan and man." - Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin :D

Bizwah

Reaction score
Petra is a good band. I always liked them. I played basketball with Whiteheart in the early nineties.

Right now, my favorite Christian bands are Kutless and Third Day.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I think there is a major reason that I don't like acts such as Bob Dylan, Drateful Dead, etc. I just don't listen to lyrics. Never have....musical lyrics have never moved me like the actual music (notes/sounds/chords, etc) do.

OK Crown, I think that you and I need to hangout sometime. Looks like we share some interests. Cowboys/physics/non religious and the above quote.

That's EXACTLY the way I look at/listen to music. The music itself has to grab me. I don't really care what they're singing about. If the lyrics are cool, it's just a bonus.

I listen to everything from The Carpenters to Cannibal Corpse.

I see that your location is Arlington TX. I'll PM you with a website/forum dedicated to the local DFW music scene.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I've been promoting Christian Rock concerts for over 10 years and some of the most interesting folks have come in my doors. For those of you who are into the rap thing, you need to check out a guy named T-Bone. Very talented guy.

John Schlitt of Petra is a great guy as well as he and I have had some real fun times. We had Audio Adrenaline a few years back but I wasn't that impressed with their ministry.

Here's one of the real shockers though in this realm of music. Wanna know how much I paid Audio A to come and play? $15,000.00. That's the second most I have ever spent. I paid nearly 20,000.00 for Michael W. Smith a few years ago.

I like Petra for Rock music the most but my favorite band going right now is Third Day. But I might be partial because Toby is a pretty cool guy who I can sit and talk to for hours. We just get along real well.

Obviously my favorite type of music is Country and that is why I have a syndicated radio program for Christian Country Music. I've met folks like Charlie Daniels, Reba, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and have become good friends with the former lead singer from the Country group Shennandoah, Marty Raybon. It's a great genre of music and is probaby the most diverse genre of music because so much of the "Types" of music gets lumped together in that genre.

And oh yeah, I also manage a contemporary group as well.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I used to listen to Christian metal back in the day...

The best Christian band I ever heard was a band of former "Jesus Freaks" (those from the 60's will remember them) named The Resurrection Band... they did gain quite a following in the late 70's early 80's... excellent rock band... they later shortened their name to The Rez Band...

These guys could SERIOUSLY play...

Hoov

Reaction score
wow, all of a sudden i am thinking that i am a minority on this board, LOL.
Cajun, charlie daniels is Bad A**, loved him when he was a drinker/brawler, and still liked him after his refornation. i had that one album he put out (unless he's got more) after he had a change of heart and really liked that one. i would think - since we are labeling (lol) that he is not quite as fundamental as yourself. at any rate, i think hes a great guy, would be honored to meet him.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I've been promoting Christian Rock concerts for over 10 years and some of the most interesting folks have come in my doors. For those of you who are into the rap thing, you need to check out a guy named T-Bone. Very talented guy.

John Schlitt of Petra is a great guy as well as he and I have had some real fun times. We had Audio Adrenaline a few years back but I wasn't that impressed with their ministry.

Here's one of the real shockers though in this realm of music. Wanna know how much I paid Audio A to come and play? $15,000.00. That's the second most I have ever spent. I paid nearly 20,000.00 for Michael W. Smith a few years ago.

I like Petra for Rock music the most but my favorite band going right now is Third Day. But I might be partial because Toby is a pretty cool guy who I can sit and talk to for hours. We just get along real well.

Obviously my favorite type of music is Country and that is why I have a syndicated radio program for Christian Country Music. I've met folks like Charlie Daniels, Reba, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and have become good friends with the former lead singer from the Country group Shennandoah, Marty Raybon. It's a great genre of music and is probaby the most diverse genre of music because so much of the "Types" of music gets lumped together in that genre.

And oh yeah, I also manage a contemporary group as well.

I love to hear Marty Raybon sing... great voice...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoov said:
wow, all of a sudden i am thinking that i am a minority on this board, LOL.
Cajun, charlie daniels is Bad A**, loved him when he was a drinker/brawler, and still liked him after his refornation. i had that one album he put out (unless he's got more) after he had a change of heart and really liked that one. i would think - since we are labeling (lol) that he is not quite as fundamental as yourself. at any rate, i think hes a great guy, would be honored to meet him.

You would be surprised about Charlie. I had him on the show a while back. I will see if I can find part of the interview I did with him for the show. I think I have it archived somewhere. If I can find it I will put it up on the web so you can hear it. It was really a great interview.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I love to hear Marty Raybon sing... great voice...

And very versatile as well. The guy can do anything from ballads to up tempo and every kind of coutry including Bluegrass and folk. Just a very talented guy. Funny as heck as well. But his humor is real dry. You have to listen close to know when he's being funny and when he is serious.

cowboys4life

Reaction score
Hey cajun you ever heard jeremy camp...that guys is awesome...he sounds a bit like third day....

Hoov

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
You would be surprised about Charlie. I had him on the show a while back. I will see if I can find part of the interview I did with him for the show. I think I have it archived somewhere. If I can find it I will put it up on the web so you can hear it. It was really a great interview.

That would be cool, thanks