Christian Wilkens, DT Clemson

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What are your guys thoughts on this player?

To me, he seems like best fit for us as far as what we want from a big DT. However I just dont see a big DT with pass rush production making it to the second round.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on this player?

To me, he seems like best fit for us as far as what we want from a big DT. However I just dont see a big DT with pass rush production making it to the second round.

For some reason I can see him in a Cowboys uni. That said I think he’s a bit overrated.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
He's going to scream up draft boards and make the first round. Yes he would be a great addition though. He and Dexter Lawrence would both be high on my draft board.

exciter

Reaction score
He was rated in the 15 to 20 range last year. Seen him everywhere from 6 to 18 this year. He's not coming anywhere near our pick or what can reasonably be traded up for. Honestly believe they're perfectly happy with Woods and Ross at the 1t and Collins and Crawford at 3t. Dont expect them to be looking to put much in resources on this position much less a high one!

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
He was rated in the 15 to 20 range last year. Seen him everywhere from 6 to 18 this year. He's not coming anywhere near our pick or what can reasonably be traded up for. Honestly believe they're perfectly happy with Woods and Ross at the 1t and Collins and Crawford at 3t. Dont expect them to be looking to put much in resources on this position much less a high one!

Agree. The interior D-line really wasn't an issue until the most important game of the year. I don't see Dallas doing much there and I think they'd be more interested in a player like D. Irving who could slide up and down the line. I really like Charles Omenihu to fill that spot, but I'm not sure what his draft value would be yet.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For some reason I can see him in a Cowboys uni. That said I think he’s a bit overrated.

Overrated in terms of where he was being projected headed into the season. I think he’s a Top 50-100 type prospect. The player he actually reminds me of is Maliek Collins; a fat wide body that has surprising quicks. I think he’s best suited as a 3T, but may get miscast like Collins as a 1T. Clemson has him playing at DE at times. If not for Collins I actually think he’s a fit in Marenelli’s 43, but is redundant with him on the roster already.

Plankton

Reaction score
Overrated in terms of where he was being projected headed into the season. I think he’s a Top 50-100 type prospect. The player he actually reminds me of is Maliek Collins; a fat wide body that has surprising quicks. I think he’s best suited as a 3T, but may get miscast like Collins as a 1T. Clemson has him playing at DE at times. If not for Collins I actually think he’s a fit in Marenelli’s 43, but is redundant with him on the roster already.

Collins is a very good comparison for Wilkins. I do think Wilkins is better than Collins, though, but they have similar bodies and characteristics.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dudes a stud, but long gone before our 2nd round pick.

46 QB pressures, 39 defensive stops in 2018 is silly. Well balanced player and not just a big run stuffer.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
He’s first rd...but I saw the list of DT prospects the guys on the draft show will be going over. There’s 10 names,and he’s one of them,so Brugler and Helmen (awesome dudes for draft) will go over them all with Broaddus,and give us the low down on options.

DanA

Reaction score
Think he’s a late 1st and out of reach. He’s been a consistently good player for 3 years.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he'd be a tremendous get...but he'll be gone in Rd 1.
also love his sidekick Dexter Lawrence...he too is probably gone in Rd 1.

DTs who we could get in Rd 2 or 3....Demarcus Christmas,Fsu....Isaiah Buggs,Alabama....Dontavius Russell,Auburn.
Christmas and Buggs would be ideal 3Ts...they could slide E to T....Russell would be a ideal IT run stuffer who can also get to the QB.

other DTs I like
Ryan Bee,Marshall...big monster.
Bryan Mone,Michigan...run stuffer.
Chris Nelson,Texas.
Marquise Copeland,Cincinnati.

Christmas seems like the type they go for.
Russell and Bee might be the 1Ts that they finally bite on.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Collins is a very good comparison for Wilkins. I do think Wilkins is better than Collins, though, but they have similar bodies and characteristics.
Wilkins is like 30 lbs heavier than Collins.

Having said that...that's what would make him a good 1-tech in our system, b/c he can still move a bit. He's a lot more like Antwaun Woods and even then, he's still heavier.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Having said that...that's what would make him a good 1-tech in our system, b/c he can still move a bit. He's a lot more like Antwaun Woods and even then, he's still heavier.

You’re thinking of his teammate Dexter Lawrence.

Plankton

Reaction score

One of the biggest knocks on Wilkins is that scouts don't think that he likes to do the dirty work inside, and can blow his gap responsibilities jumping gaps instead of holding his area of responsibility. If you made him a 1T, you would be taking away his best qualities - his first step quickness and ability to rush in 1 on 1 opportunities. Now, Dexter Lawrence would be the perfect 1T.

exciter

Reaction score
No.

Christian Wilkins is listed at 315. Maliek Collins is listed at 284. Lawrence is listed at 350.
Yeah, not sure where the 284 is coming from. His combine weight was 309 and he's been listed as 312 by the team for 2 years. He hasn't been 284 since he was 12!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
One of the biggest knocks on Wilkins is that scouts don't think that he likes to do the dirty work inside, and can blow his gap responsibilities jumping gaps instead of holding his area of responsibility. If you made him a 1T, you would be taking away his best qualities - his first step quickness and ability to rush in 1 on 1 opportunities. Now, Dexter Lawrence would be the perfect 1T.

Exactly.

Like Maliek Collins he’s a big guy that likens himself as a skinny edge rusher. He does have some quickness and athleticism but he’s not Aaron Donald.