Christmas music, yea or neigh?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That neigh is a reindeer reference because I think cleverness is next to Godliness during the holiday season. And speaking of the "holiday" thingy, doesn't it tick you off about the correctness of greeting people.

I have Jewish friends that I wish a Merry Christmas to and they wish it right back. When we start getting this sensitive about using the word Christmas, we're in need of some reassessing. I think with the amount of money made off Christmas, we can keep the word.

Ah, but I digress because I draw breath, back to Christmas music, you like it, love it or can leave it?

I like it but there is some of it like the 12 Days of Christmas, the barking dogs and Granma Got Run Over By a Reindeer that put ants on me and I will dive head first to change the tune.

What really puts me in the mood is jazz/new age such as the GRP Christmas albums, Narada and Windham Hill and a fire, martini in a Christmas glass (green olive, red pimento) and The Franker, The Natter, The Binger and The Carpenters' Christmas Album and I am set. Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel with unmatched clarity. It is as if she was born just to do that.

So, what ye say about Holiday Humming, Merry Music and Tinsel Tunes? Or are you into Grinch Grunge?

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I love me some Christmas music. Grew up Jehovah witness and we were never allowed to listen to it. But it always sounded so good when I was able to catch some on the radio. Now, as an adult, I love blasting that stuff. Here in Dallas, and I'm sure in most places, there is a radio station that plays non stop Christmas music once November hits till New year's. It's on my preset dial.

nobody

Reaction score
I like it but there is some of it like the 12 Days of Christmas, the barking dogs and Granma Got Run Over By a Reindeer that put ants on me and I will dive head first to change the tune.

Those three drive me insane. I hate them. Also add Pentatonix or other similar groups Christmas songs. There are a few others I dislike, but those...

If I want a funny Christmas song, I'll take Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero." That could be from growing up under the threat of nuclear annihilation.

Different iterations of the Little Drummer Boy are some of my favs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love me some Christmas music. Grew up Jehovah witness and we were never allowed to listen to it. But it always sounded so good when I was able to catch some on the radio. Now, as an adult, I love blasting that stuff. Here in Dallas, and I'm sure in most places, there is a radio station that plays non stop Christmas music once November hits till New year's. It's on my preset dial.
Quick story about radio stations playing Christmas music exclusively.

The pioneer and test station for that was none other than KVIL in Dallas and they made industry headlines when they did it but nothing like when the ratings came out, through the roof. Put them back on top in the Fall ratings and stations all over the country began to follow suit including me with one of the FM's I managed in Southern Oklahoma, every year for 9 years. And like clockwork I would get calls where I could put Christmas music and "I ain't uh lissenin til you stop playin that crap".

My morning guy the last 2 years didn't like it either but if I got calls every morning, all morning long, for "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" for 6 weeks, I wouldn't like it either. That studio was the closest to my office and every time he had to play it, he'd open the door and crank it up, walk down the hall and stand outside my office just staring at me. Then, I had to repel him the only way I could, I sang along......loudly and more country than that idiot singing it. My office manager threatened to call the labor board and report me for a hostile work environment.

It got to be a thing and one morning I was coming in after a call and he mentioned the song as next and I called the receptionist and told her to patch me into the phone system. I started belting out that song over our phone system and unbeknownst to me, my morning guy on the country station, the top dog, started playing that over his station only they couldn't hear the music, just me. After it was over he told his listeners "ya see what I have to put up with, that's the guy that runs the stations! That's my boss, pray for me!" I got to the station and was coming in the front door and my staff was assembled giving me a standing ovation. I got calls all day long from clients than knew me.

Radio, at one time, was the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

Hardline

Reaction score
I have family that are JW's
Glad to hear you left it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Christmas music is okay when wrapping presents, watching a Christmas movie, and on Christmas day. Other than that, no thanks. That said, there are some really beautiful ones, and while I'm an atheist, one of my favorites is O Holy Night, because the melody is absolutely stunning, and most artists' renditions really show off what they can do vocally.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Music about being happy, and being kind to one another. Some people never experience that. Sad.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That neigh is a reindeer reference because I think cleverness is next to Godliness during the holiday season. And speaking of the "holiday" thingy, doesn't it tick you off about the correctness of greeting people.

I have Jewish friends that I wish a Merry Christmas to and they wish it right back. When we start getting this sensitive about using the word Christmas, we're in need of some reassessing. I think with the amount of money made off Christmas, we can keep the word.

Ah, but I digress because I draw breath, back to Christmas music, you like it, love it or can leave it?

What really puts me in the mood is jazz/new age such as the GRP Christmas albums, Narada and Windham Hill and a fire, martini in a Christmas glass (green olive, red pimento) and The Franker, The Natter, The Binger and The Carpenters' Christmas Album and I am set. Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel with unmatched clarity. It is as if she was born just to do that.

So, what ye say about Holiday Humming, Merry Music and Tinsel Tunes? Or are you into Grinch Grunge?
The question is moot. How can you not like Christmas music?

rags

Reaction score

I also live in Dallas, so I think I know the station you're talking about.

I think starting Christmas music as soon as November begins is overkill. Start it the week of Christmas. Finish it on the 26th.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
I'm assuming The Pogues "Fairytale of New York" and Wham "Last Christmas" travel but out of interest do you guys get any of these that are absolute staples this side of the water?

A classic Elvis rip-off

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not have a problem with Christmas music, unless it either played between Halloween and Thanksgiving or between December 26 and Halloween. Music should correspond with the season. Trick-or-treating and Christmas music? Nope. Turkey dressing and Christmas carols? Nah. Fourth of July and Christmas songs? Heck no.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do not have a problem with Christmas music, unless it either played between Halloween and Thanksgiving or between December 26 and Halloween. Music should correspond with the season. Trick-or-treating and Christmas music? Nope. Turkey dressing and Christmas carols? Nah. Fourth of July and Christmas songs? Heck no.
So any time between Dec 26 and Thanksgiving is a No No Noel.