Christy Scales said Roy was coming out (of the game) sometimes

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And Henry was going in at a safety position along with Hamlin, Newman, and Reeves. In other words, only four DBs but Roy wasn't one of them.

Just wondering if this was discussed... I didn't notice it just from watching TV.

I'm not a Roy basher, but maybe the coaches have noticed what everyone else is saying about his poor coverage.

(I'm also assuming Scales was correct and that Roy wasn't still in at LB, because I almost find this hard to believe. But she's usually very solid on her reporting.)

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
if that was the case i must have missed it.

a lot of formations where Madden was saying we had 6 DBs on the field Roy was in a LB position, so maybe Scales was looking at that and not seeing him playing deep and assuming he wasn't there, IDK...

i will have to go back and look to see if that was the case

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
On third downs I'm all for it. Roy on first and second down and bring Reeves in for Henry and move Henry to FS on third down.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a brokeback mountain article judging by the title....

JPM

Reaction score
Dcowboy84;1746906 said:
if that was the case i must have missed it.

a lot of formations where Madden was saying we had 6 DBs on the field Roy was in a LB position, so maybe Scales was looking at that and not seeing him playing deep and assuming he wasn't there, IDK...

i will have to go back and look to see if that was the case

That sounds like what was happening. Burnett and Roy were playing LB. And Killer Keith took Roy's spot (I heard Watkins got hurt.

superpunk

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1746913 said:
I thought this was going to be a brokeback mountain article judging by the title....

Seriously...

Maybe someone will sac up and ask Wade about that today.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I didnt notice it if he did come out, but I did see he was still end at the end of the gamealong with numerous other starters

I think she is mistaken

David

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Roy is better in coverage when he is not having to be the guy over the top. In a nickel or dime and him playing LB is not a bad move IMO this will keep him in the box where his coverage skills are solid.

I am all for keeping Roy out of deep coverage down the field anything to keep him at lb or shorter pass coverage works for me

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
he had good coverage last night...also on the pick Hamlin got, Roy was actually in front of the receiver and the ball was coming staright for him, he'd have gotten it had Hamlin not made the play

David

ddh33

Reaction score
Not saying it didn't happen, but I sure didn't see it. I think she's mistaken. As others have said, he was moving to LB all night long.

landryscorner

Reaction score
heh no wonder i was like why do I see reeves, hamlin, henry, and newman in there??? make sense now, roy got out

sharph20

Reaction score
JPM;1746916 said:
That sounds like what was happening. Burnett and Roy were playing LB. And Killer Keith took Roy's spot (I heard Watkins got hurt.

What happend to watkins?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1746895 said:
And Henry was going in at a safety position along with Hamlin, Newman, and Reeves. In other words, only four DBs but Roy wasn't one of them.

Just wondering if this was discussed... I didn't notice it just from watching TV.

I'm not a Roy basher, but maybe the coaches have noticed what everyone else is saying about his poor coverage.

(I'm also assuming Scales was correct and that Roy wasn't still in at LB, because I almost find this hard to believe. But she's usually very solid on her reporting.)

When I reviewed the defensive tape, I was able to identify Roy on the field 64 times out of 68 defensive plays. On three of the other four plays, fewer than 11 players were ever visible -- but one of those was a sideline pass that clearly showed Henry, Jones and Watkins standing on the sideline. That leaves three plays AT THE MOST when Roy might not have been on the field, and two of those were first-and-10 plays -- hardly a time for a situational pass defense.

The only play when I know Roy wasn't on the field (I identified 11 other defensive players on the field) happened to be Reggie Brown's 45-yard catch. Roy was on the field the play before that and the play after that, so it could have been something as simple as an equipment issue.

badleelee

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1747878 said:
When I reviewed the defensive tape, I was able to identify Roy on the field 64 times out of 68 defensive plays. On three of the other four plays, fewer than 11 players were ever visible -- but one of those was a sideline pass that clearly showed Henry, Jones and Watkins standing on the sideline. That leaves three plays AT THE MOST when Roy might not have been on the field, and two of those were first-and-10 plays -- hardly a time for a situational pass defense.

The only play when I know Roy wasn't on the field (I identified 11 other defensive players on the field) happened to be Reggie Brown's 45-yard catch. Roy was on the field the play before that and the play after that, so it could have been something as simple as an equipment issue.

What did happen to Watkins?

ddh33

Reaction score
Thanks, Adam.

I thought he in the game practically the whole time. I'm glad that's been verified.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1747878 said:

I dont think "Salary Cap Analyst" is good enough for you. Just change it to "Team Analyst"

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
People still can't seem to figure out what a "dime defense" is.