Christy Scales said Roy was coming out (of the game) sometimes

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theebs;1748317 said:

Thanks. So she was talking about that one play -- the 45-yard pass to Reggie Brown. And like I said earlier, I'm pretty certain it never happened again. So we don't know if it was some special package that we decided to use on a second-and-7 play for some odd reason, or if Roy merely had some reason he needed to come out for one play.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1748274 said:
sorry but wade specifically stated during the offseason that they were experimenting with Roy at LB in the nickel. i remember it too so either were crazy or you forgot.

When there was a debate over this earlier, I went back and looked at some of his press conferences, and in one case he specifically said that some people call it a nickel, some call it a dime, implying that it didn't really make a difference. Formation-wise, it's a nickel. Personnel-wise, it's a dime. Who really cares which terminology Wade uses to describe it, as long as everyone knows what he's talking about?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1749320 said:
When there was a debate over this earlier, I went back and looked at some of his press conferences, and in one case he specifically said that some people call it a nickel, some call it a dime, implying that it didn't really make a difference. Formation-wise, it's a nickel. Personnel-wise, it's a dime. Who really cares which terminology Wade uses to describe it, as long as everyone knows what he's talking about?
Formation-wise, it can be either. Personnel-wise it's a dime.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;1749345 said:
Formation-wise, it can be either.

It can be, but I don't recall too many times (actually, I don't recall any at the moment) when we had a four-man line and only one player lined up either behind the line or coming off the edge. Maybe if the offense had an empty backfield and five receivers, but then I'd consider it a true dime defense and not the nebulous dime/nickel we're talking about with Roy playing in the box.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1749364 said:
It can be, but I don't recall too many times (actually, I don't recall any at the moment) when we had a four-man line and only one player lined up either behind the line or coming off the edge. Maybe if the offense had an empty backfield and five receivers, but then I'd consider it a true dime defense and not the nebulous dime/nickel we're talking about with Roy playing in the box.
Why does the "dimebacker" have to be not behind the line for it to be a "dime formation?" If they have 3 receivers, he'd always be over the TE. If they have 4 receivers, then he'd be out from behind the line. I don't recall facing too many 4 receiver sets.