CJ Mosley to Jets

John813

Reaction score
Guess when the top QB's get 30+mil now, the top LBs getting 17 now isn't too crazy.

HanD

Reaction score
CJ Mosely was the best player on the best defense last year. He is easily top 3 at his position. As the cap increases, so do the salaries for top players.

he is a very good player, one of the great young mlbs. but the top mlb salary increased 42% from the previous high. pretty sure that is not proportionate with the cap increase. that's way overpaying imo. 14m to make him the highest paid, sure. 5m more than LK who was the previous highest paid at 12m aav is too much for me.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Overpaid to keep him from returning the Baltimore.

I’d much rather the skins overay Collins than Mosley!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he is a very good player, one of the great young mlbs. but the top mlb salary increased 42% from the previous high. pretty sure that is not proportionate with the cap increase. that's way overpaying imo. 14m to make him the highest paid, sure. 5m more than LK who was the previous highest paid at 12m aav is too much for me.

Kuechly's contract is over 4 years old and no longer relevent. I haven't read the CBA in a while. But if I recall, there is a minimum amount of money teams have to spend over a 3 or 4 year period. A team like the Jets might be up against the minimum and required to spend. So, they pay the best player available to them to shed cash.

robjay04

Reaction score
My point is that they can't spend any more than anyone else in any given year. In fact, there are cap minimums which fuel these salaries. It might be that the Jets must spend in order to not violate the collective bargaining agreement. So, they figure this is the best way to do that.

Yeah I get your point and I agree.

My point is...they have the money to spend that much because

A) They aren’t spending money on a QB

and

B) Thy aren’t drafting well enough to give out second contracts to their own guys.

HanD

Reaction score
Kuechly's contract is over 4 years old and no longer relevent. I haven't read the CBA in a while. But if I recall, there is a minimum amount of money teams have to spend over a 3 or 4 year period. A team like the Jets might be up against the minimum and required to spend. So, they pay the best player available to them to shed cash.

i disagree on the highest aav contract being irrelevant. ogletree and mckinney got roughly 10m aav last year. mosely is for sure in another class but 70% more salary is not for me. i agree the jets are probably hitting a floor and have a ton of cap space to use but that doesn't make it a good contract. to me that supports that they overpaid for mosely.

actually i went back and looked...since LK the cap has gone up from 144 to 188 roughly. that's a 30% increase. 30% on top of LK would be 15.6. definitely higher than i expected. from 7 to 9% of the cap used for the top mlb. they overpaid but not by as much as i originally thought. thanks for the conversation and making me do some more research on my initial gut reaction.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i disagree on the highest aav contract being irrelevant. ogletree and mckinney got roughly 10m aav last year. mosely is for sure in another class but 70% more salary is not for me. i agree the jets are probably hitting a floor and have a ton of cap space to use but that doesn't make it a good contract. to me that supports that they overpaid for mosely.

actually i went back and looked...since LK the cap has gone up from 144 to 188 roughly. that's a 30% increase. 30% on top of LK would be 15.6. definitely higher than i expected. from 7 to 9% of the cap used for the top mlb. they overpaid but not by as much as i originally thought. thanks for the conversation and making me do some more research on my initial gut reaction.

If you are the Jets, the only way to get a quality free agent is to overpay.

4 year old contracts don't set the market. Dak is about to make more than Stafford and Ryan. Is he better? Hell no. The salaries just go up every year.

dckid

Reaction score
Every team has the same money to spend. The bad teams "tend" to have bad QBs
Gosh I wish folks would understand. The league dynamic has changed. Prices will rise, salaries will rise. The NFL TV deals will rise. The cap has increased by 10 million over the past 6 or 7, dont take my word for it just look it up.
The owners have multi billion dollar team values. The cowboys are valued at 5 billion plus. There is no cap hell anymore, now its who are the smart GM's and team architects. We have Tweedle Dumb running our team.
The sad part is we have the name star power, but we are really just at the same level as the Browns, a family run mom and pop ownership group that cant get out of its own way.
We really need a tech billionaire to just offer 10 billion for the Cowboys and purchase this team. Bezos or Gates, just come in and make a grandfather offer that Jerry cant refuse.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Boom

I hear people using the Rams as an example.
That was a huge exception

And dont even mention the Eagles—who finally won a SB two years ago, but had been big spenders year after year after year with poor results

Sure, if the player fits, go for it. But usually 1st few days of FA see lots if bad contracts

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Boom

I hear people using the Rams as an example.
That was a huge exception

And dont even mention the Eagles—who finally won a SB two years ago, but had been big spenders year after year after year with poor results

Sure, if the player fits, go for it. But usually 1st few days of FA see lots if bad contracts

Eh, it's really really hard for me to criticize the Jets for getting Barr and Mosley. They have the cap space and they weren't going to refill these positions in the draft, their defensive line is thin.

They are doing well. I don't know about the rest - but I like what the Jets are doing. I expect them to get either Bell or Coleman.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Gosh I wish folks would understand. The league dynamic has changed. Prices will rise, salaries will rise. The NFL TV deals will rise. The cap has increased by 10 million over the past 6 or 7, dont take my word for it just look it up.
The owners have multi billion dollar team values. The cowboys are valued at 5 billion plus. There is no cap hell anymore, now its who are the smart GM's and team architects. We have Tweedle Dumb running our team.
The sad part is we have the name star power, but we are really just at the same level as the Browns, a family run mom and pop ownership group that cant get out of its own way.
We really need a tech billionaire to just offer 10 billion for the Cowboys and purchase this team. Bezos or Gates, just come in and make a grandfather offer that Jerry cant refuse.

It’s like the new nba.
They flip out seeing what random guys are making but don’t understand that the entirety of the cap/earnings/everything went up so much with the new tv money, it has to go somewhere.

dckid

Reaction score
If you are the Jets, the only way to get a quality free agent is to overpay.

4 year old contracts don't set the market. Dak is about to make more than Stafford and Ryan. Is he better? Hell no. The salaries just go up every year.
Agree with new contracts setting the market, but I disagree about Jet's having the overpay. There
It’s like the new nba.
They flip out seeing what random guys are making but don’t understand that the entirety of the cap/earnings/everything went up so much with the new tv money, it has to go somewhere.

You hit it right on the head, new league, new systems. In my previous post I meant to say Bengals and now Browns. Bengals are the mom and pop organization, just like the Cowboys.
Just wait till Amazon, Netflix, and the like get into the NFL TV contract bidding war. We will see an order of magnitude higher offer by one of these crazy tech firms, my guess is Amazon. They def want in on live sports.
I will take you back to my childhood in 94 when Fox bid for the NFC package, and CBS said it was way more money than they could justify for football. Look what happened. CBS clawed its way back to the AFC package which is cheaper. There is no network that wants to get out of football, no matter the protest, kneeling, ratings .Ratings went up this year again. The Thursday night package cost went up this year when Fox bought the rights. My guess is MNF will eventually end up back on ABC with Peyton Manning.
Owners needs to get smart, bring in young innovative owners, open up the ownership. The league needs to get smarter, the first move I would make is get rid of Goodell.
Sorry this post was all over the place..

DFWJC

Reaction score
Eh, it's really really hard for me to criticize the Jets for getting Barr and Mosley. They have the cap space and they weren't going to refill these positions in the draft, their defensive line is thin.

They are doing well. I don't know about the rest - but I like what the Jets are doing. I expect them to get either Bell or Coleman.
No, I'm not criticizing them really. As you said, they have the space.

I guess I just get tired of the whining around here. It's like clockwork.
We have a pretty long list of very and young and good players coming up for contract immediately or in the year.
I want to be active, but I don't want to be dumb.

My question is always the same: which contracts already taken should the Cowboys have tried to top? It adds reality to the picture.