Signed by Cowboys Claiborne's signed one year deal with Cowboys

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That is true if you think the guy you draft at 4 is going to be that huge a difference maker but I don't see a player there at 4 who is going to make any significant difference in where we pick next year by himself while a QB could make a huge difference in a couple years
If a Dware type pass rusher was there I might see it different

I'm not thrilled with anyone in the top 5 personally I would trade down. Bosa tested positive for pot prior to the 2015 college season and was suspended. That's likely to scare off the Cowboys who already have a pot head in Gregory. Heard an interview with Bosa the other day and he sounded like he just got through smoking a joint. He reminds me of Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Jack is coming off a significant injury and the Cowboys have had terrible luck drafting injured LBs. They haven't had much luck drafting LBs period. As for Goff and Wentz they carry the same gamble all QBs carry coming out of college. I've said many times I'm not taking a QB with a top 5 pick unless I don't have a QB and am desperate for one. If Jerry honestly believes what he keeps preaching that Romo has 5 years left no way is he going to draft a QB with the 4th overall pick and have them sit until their late 20's.

No one knows how long Romo has but what we do know is when he's healthy he's still one of the better QBs in the league. It's easy to pull the trigger on a QB in the top 5 when you don't have a franchise QB or the one you have is showing signs of decline. The smart move for the Cowboys is to trade down picking up at least a #2 and using one of their #2's on a QB or packaging one of them with another pick and moving back into the first round and taking a QB. Our first pick has to play next season they can't be standing on the sidelines carrying a clipboard for the next 2+ years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is a ok stop-gap move for 2016. Let's face it, Mo is a stop-gap player at this point.

He is an average corner when healthy which automatically makes him the best non-slot CB on the team. The negatives:
  • He managed to play in 68% of the games last season which is great for Mo but terrible overall for a starting CB.
  • Zero play-making ability as evidenced by his 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 fumble recoveries
  • He seems utterly confused on what to do on pick plays which are becoming increasingly common in the NFL. I suspect his 4 Wonderlic factors in that -- he just can't process what to do.
As I stated above, I see this is a stop-gap move. Obviously you can't replace everybody so this move had to be made, however, it doesn't inspire confidence.

I haven't been his biggest fan but this deal shows that he realizes he needs to prove himself.

It would be great if last year was the start of something big. It would stink to see him go to CINN and star for 10 years like Newman, Jenkins and Pacman.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I understand the frustration with Mo. I didn't want him to begin with. Not because I didn't think he'd be good I just wanted to stand pat and keep our 2nd rounder. They felt pressured to address the secondary and they went and got Carr and Claiborne. Sounded like great moves at the time but not so much years later.

Though I don't care for him and didn't want him I do root for him and I do think he showed progress next season. We signed him to a one year deal. They haven't lost faith in him yet so that's some what encouraging.

I feel like once a players contract is off the books its time to start over with how you judge a guy. He's now a free agent and we re-signed him. You sort of know what you have with him and its not where his draft status was at.

Its like if we are to sign Chris Long. Do we judge Chris Long based on his 2nd overall status or on what he does for this team with what we sign him for?

There's a lot of frustration with Mo even the Cowboys have been frustrated with him the one year deal they gave him points to that but we don't have a lot of options at CB and need him for depth. Everyone roots for Mo but he never developed into the great player we all were hoping for and it's led to a lot of frustration with the fans and the team. He's missed games every season with injuries and he's not a playmaker only having 3 INT's in 4 seasons. He's been one of the problems in our secondary. I said several weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys hang on to Mo for depth. With Scandrick coming off an ACL and Byron Jones moving to safety and with Carr unlikely to be back the Cowboys had to hang on to Mo. Mo has already been judged he's not what we hoped for and never will be which is why he was only offered a one year deal.

As for Chis Long he's declined the last 2 seasons only producing 4 sacks which is why the Rams released him and he's still available. Prior to that he had been a very productive player compiling 50.5 sacks. If the Cowboys sign Long they'll be signing a player who's on the way down and will be hoping a change of scenery might invigorate him. It's going to come down to money like it always does in free agency. The Cowboys certainly don't want to overpay for a player who's only put up 4 sacks the last 2 seasons. You have to look at where he's at now not what he was several years ago when he was putting up double digit sacks in 2011 and 2012. He'll be 4 years removed from those seasons.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And not sure

And I'm not sure how much credit Mo should get for "shutting down" OBJ. Dude was effectively out of the game when Wilcox lit him up

Then explain Cooks and Julio Jones?

And what about Edelman? He go Mo on a slant and a cross route.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you are at 4 and you have 5 guys rated higher I still take the QB because that means you obviously rated a top ten player and you aren't going to get many chances at a top ten QB
The QB position is different to me, when you get a chance to take a guy you think can be a franchise QB I don't care if I take him 5 spots too high

That's the type of drafting that got Jerry caught up in the 2000's IMO. Stick to your board. If a guy is truly a franchise QB then he shouldn't have 5 guys rated higher than him. How many guys do you think they had rated higher than Mariotta or Winston last year?

And that doesn't mean they don't have those QB's rated #1 on their board. For all we know they may have Wentz #1. I guess we will know if he's who we pick. Or Goff.

dfense

Reaction score
Mo had as many picks as the other $50 million dollar CB. Bargain.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Julio went 12-164 with 2 TD's so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make

AFTER he was moved away from Claiborne. Only 40 yards came when he lined up against Claiborne. He went off when he began lining up against Carr/Patmon.

Craig

Reaction score
I understand the frustration with Mo. I didn't want him to begin with. Not because I didn't think he'd be good I just wanted to stand pat and keep our 2nd rounder. They felt pressured to address the secondary and they went and got Carr and Claiborne. Sounded like great moves at the time but not so much years later.

Though I don't care for him and didn't want him I do root for him and I do think he showed progress next season. We signed him to a one year deal. They haven't lost faith in him yet so that's some what encouraging.

I feel like once a players contract is off the books its time to start over with how you judge a guy. He's now a free agent and we re-signed him. You sort of know what you have with him and its not where his draft status was at.

Its like if we are to sign Chris Long. Do we judge Chris Long based on his 2nd overall status or on what he does for this team with what we sign him for?

I really do hope with this being a re-sign that the whining about the draft pick diminishes. Im being realistic though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really do hope with this being a re-sign that the whining about the draft pick diminishes. Im being realistic though.

Oh you know its not. IMO, this wipes the slate clean. He's now a free agent as opposed to a 6th overall pick. But he will continue be the scapegoat for this teams problems so i'm sure it won't be the last we hear of it.

conner01

Reaction score
That's the type of drafting that got Jerry caught up in the 2000's IMO. Stick to your board. If a guy is truly a franchise QB then he shouldn't have 5 guys rated higher than him. How many guys do you think they had rated higher than Mariotta or Winston last year?

And that doesn't mean they don't have those QB's rated #1 on their board. For all we know they may have Wentz #1. I guess we will know if he's who we pick. Or Goff.

Qb's are always rated higher because of their position
That's just the way it is and they are drafted higher than their pure spot as far as a player dictates. But kinda hard to win without one so you have to play the game

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's just the way it is and they are drafted higher than their pure spot as far as a player dictates. But kinda hard to win without one so you have to play the game

I don't know. I honestly felt that last season Mariotta and Winston were the two best players QB position or not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

It's the need teams have for QBs that raise their stock which is why a QB like Wentz went from an unknown a few months ago into one of the top prospects in the draft. No position in football influences the outcome of games more than a QB you simply can't win consistently without a solid one. No position in the draft is taken with the #1 overall pick more than QBs. Teams that are desperate for a QB are willing to roll the dice on one because you just never know when you're going to land a franchise QB. The Seahawks never dreamed Russell Wilson who they took in the 3rd round in 2012 would develop into one of the best young QBs in the game helping turn the Seahawks into a championship team. There's no position a team can draft that can turn an organization around like a QB. The main reason the Browns continue to struggle every year is because they can't find a solid QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I bet that is what she was posting to eBay on her phone as he was putting ink to the cheap contract.

• Cdh8emvUYAAtU_J.jpg