Clarence Hill: Dak extension "closer than it has been"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill believe it when I see it. A few days ago all the talk was that the money was agreed upon, but not the years. Now its the years are agreed upon but something else is the issue. With the inconsistencies in the details these reports seem to have very little credibility, even if coming from credible sources. Ultimately this is all a guessing game right now.
Honestly, I don’t see the point in extending him now. You’ve gone this far, play it out. Worry about paying him a ton of money if he shows he deserves it this season.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This all feels like deja vu.. I remember like it was yesterday the debate on if the Cowboys should keep Romo who's teams underperformed in the more important games. Good stats, the highlights, regularly considered a tier 2 type QB in the top 10. We turned around and handed the 32/33 old Romo a new contract.

Now here we're at a similiar point in Dak's career...

Staubacher

Reaction score
Another quote from this article the OP didnt bother to provide:

"But the fact remains a deal has yet to be agreed upon.

And the clock is ticking for one to get consummated before the beginning of the season, which has become Prescott’s arbitrary line of demarcation."

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly, I "blame" both sides of the table for the delay in progress. But I honestly think "blame" isn't the right word. I don't think either side should bear the "blame" of trying to get the best possible deal. That's what negotiations are all about. The "urgency" to complete the negotiations is mostly artificially created by impatient fans, and a media that has an axe to grind in order to drive clicks.

I believe Dak wants to be in Dallas, and that the Cowboys want Dak to be their QB. They've always been on the same page relative to intentions. The rest is just details.
Well us fans are what line Jerry’s pockets. It’s also a distraction for the rest of the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

And the clock is ticking for one to get consummated before the beginning of the season, which has become Prescott’s arbitrary line of demarcation."
I appreciate someone holding on to their last thread of hope.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

This is also ignored from Fowler this morning. I guess because Fowler isn’t a Dak homer like Hill.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported Thursday a source "with direct knowledge of the situation" said it is "looking like free agency at this point" for the quarterback who is entering the final year of his current contract.

Fowler also called the negotiations "confounding" and added that Dallas "will have to come around" on the "inevitability" that Prescott will be the league's highest-paid quarterback when he does sign his next deal.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
https://alldlls.com/dak-prescott-deal-closer-but-cowboys-playing-with-fire/

"But there is an effort to get something done before Sunday’s season opener against the Cleveland Browns.

And, per a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, progress has been made during talks with Prescott and the Cowboys and a deal is closer than it has been.

What’s also true, per the source, is the length of the deal is not a sticking point in negotiations, as has been reported. They are on the same page in terms of length."
"Prescott" and "has been" in the thread subject seems a good choice of words.

Staubacher

Reaction score
This is also ignored from Fowler this morning. I guess because Fowler isn’t a Dak homer like Hill.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported Thursday a source "with direct knowledge of the situation" said it is "looking like free agency at this point" for the quarterback who is entering the final year of his current contract.

Fowler also called the negotiations "confounding" and added that Dallas "will have to come around" on the "inevitability" that Prescott will be the league's highest-paid quarterback when he does sign his next deal.
Yep this article is just more "Teen Beat" magazine red meat for the Stans.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Honestly, I don’t see the point in extending him now. You’ve gone this far, play it out. Worry about paying him a ton of money if he shows he deserves it this season.
My thoughts exactly.

If Prescott goes on some 2012 Flacco-esque tear in the playoffs, sure, give him the bag.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Honestly, I "blame" both sides of the table for the delay in progress. But I honestly think "blame" isn't the right word. I don't think either side should bear the "blame" of trying to get the best possible deal. That's what negotiations are all about. The "urgency" to complete the negotiations is mostly artificially created by impatient fans, and a media that has an axe to grind in order to drive clicks.

I believe Dak wants to be in Dallas, and that the Cowboys want Dak to be their QB. They've always been on the same page relative to intentions. The rest is just details.

Quite honestly, even if they waited until next Spring to complete the deal, the fundamental fact is that Dak and the Team want him in Dallas remains the baseline consideration.
Thanks for that post.

Good explanation of "urgency" and by whom and in what interest it is forced.

I do think too that it really doesnt matter when both sides sign a new contract.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
You have a choice to watch or not. No one’s forcing you to.
What's wrong with asking for more when the organization, top to bottom, has failed to secure more than a handful of playoff wins in the last 30 years? "You don't have to watch", is a mentality that will surely lead us down that same road of failure. That kind of mindset encourages status quo and mediocrity. You do understand this, ya?

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I have a feeeling Jerry us waiting until tonight so he can steal the show and be the talk of the town again. Jerry does love his theatrics.

Staubacher

Reaction score
What's wrong with asking for more when the organization, top to bottom, has failed to secure more than a handful of playoff wins in the last 30 years? "You don't have to watch", is a mentality that will surely lead us down that same road of failure. That kind of mindset encourages status quo and mediocrity. You do understand this, ya?
He doesn't he's an infant

Staubacher

Reaction score
I have a feeeling Jerry us waiting until tonight so he can steal the show and be the talk of the town again. Jerry does love his theatrics.
In the real world the rest of the NFL will be far more interested in this ball game between two legitimate teams then they will about a tier 2 quarterback being overpaid to choke in the playoffs for a few more years

phildadon86

Reaction score
There is no point.

Its yet another slap in the face to the fans who were waiting in FA for something to happen only to be told there is no money. Then they extend him to free up money the week the season starts?

Another slap in the long line of slaps.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Thats long been my thought process as well. Let him play out his deal, or they should have signed him back in March. The season starts in a few hours, the first Cowboy game is in a few days. Once that happens it becomes a nightmare to negotiate. Week to week his price goes up after he throws for 400 yards or the fans are bashing the guy because he had a clunker of a game. At this point its just a distraction for the team and polarizing for the fans. If they cant get something done in the next 48 hours it needs to be reevaluated in March.