Clark and Kendricks were 2 of the best linebackers against the run last year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I have been kind of counting Clark out, but I could see him being the weakside linebacker on early downs, with Kendricks in the middle and Parsons at strongside, then giving way to Overshown (depending on his development on passing downs), with Bell being the other passing down linebacker.

My concern for all of them is what we'll have in front of them. I like Odighizuwa, and would be really happy if he was part of a rotation at 3-tech with the type of stud we need at the position (and aren't going to get). But the jury is still way out on Mazi. If he's constantly on skis, the linebackers will have a hard time dodging offensive linemen.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Kendricks maybe, but nobody outside of maybe Lawrence played the run last year. Maybe the new scheme will make a difference. Zim puts more emphasis on the run that Q, but they're still rough at DT and Williams wasn't known as a run stuffing demon at Ole Miss. Add some beef up the middle and we may be in business, but this team isn't very good at evaluating and developing DT's. I'm expecting more of the same, but I hope I'm wrong.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why do I get the sense "tackle grade" is something completely separate from an actual metric specifc to run defense?
Because it basically is. PFF has a separate “run defense” grade…..

Clarke - 54.7 (#54 out of 82 players)
Kendrick’s - 73.6 (#25 out of 82 players)

To compare here are a few other players….

Shaq Leonard - 62.8
Fred Warner - 89.8
Bobby Wagner - 82.4
Frankie Lucy - 80.0
Marquese Bell - 76.8

The Natural

Reaction score
Because it basically is. PFF has a separate “run defense” grade…..

Clarke - 54.7 (#54 out of 82 players)
Kendrick’s - 73.6 (#25 out of 82 players)

To compare here are a few other players….

Shaq Leonard - 62.8
Fred Warner - 89.8
Bobby Wagner - 82.4
Frankie Lucy - 80.0
Marquese Bell - 76.8
Yea these numbers pretty much line up with the eye test. Kendricks looks decent in run support, Clark is horrible.

pitt33

Reaction score
Last season Clark was a jag.

Maybe getting Kendricks alongside will help?