Clark and Kendricks were 2 of the best linebackers against the run last year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been kind of counting Clark out, but I could see him being the weakside linebacker on early downs, with Kendricks in the middle and Parsons at strongside, then giving way to Overshown (depending on his development on passing downs), with Bell being the other passing down linebacker.

My concern for all of them is what we'll have in front of them. I like Odighizuwa, and would be really happy if he was part of a rotation at 3-tech with the type of stud we need at the position (and aren't going to get). But the jury is still way out on Mazi. If he's constantly on skis, the linebackers will have a hard time dodging offensive linemen.
They never really played 3 LBs with Quinn as DC.

They a significant amount of snaps with 3 Safeties which had Kearse as the pseudo 3rd LB.
- Generally, they either had 3 Safeties or played Nickel with 3 CBs. In both cases, they had 2 true LBs.

Mazi: His primary issue was mental.
- Modern Zone Run Blocking schemes are very difficult for many young DTs to understand.
- Zone Run Blocking forces DLinemen to move laterally. DTs must have great technique/timing vs Zone Blocking.
- Move laterally too quickly and the RB just runs to the spot the DT vacated.
- Move laterally too slowly and the RB hit the hole that the DT was supposed to fill.
- OLinemen often use the momentum of a quick flowing DT to just keep him moving in that direction and the RBs flows to the DTs backside.

Odighi: He has a been a quality 3-tech, but having to play next to limited 1-tech DTs has always limited him.
- He had to play way to many snaps with Gallimore as the othere DT.

quickccc

Reaction score
Damone Clark needs to get bulkier and add more muscle to his frame. He's too thin. A bulkier frame would help him better against the run and help him last the grueling season.
Clark is listed as 240 lbs .. that's bigger than even notable, (far better) LBs in NFL

Fred Warner - 232 lbs

Roquan Smith 236 lbs

Lavonta David 233 lbs

Dre Greenlaw, 233 lbs

My biggest issue with Clark is not that instinctive and doesn't have a knack for big plays.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They never really played 3 LBs with Quinn as DC.

They a significant amount of snaps with 3 Safeties which had Kearse as the pseudo 3rd LB.
- Generally, they either had 3 Safeties or played Nickel with 3 CBs. In both cases, they had 2 true LBs.

Mazi: His primary issue was mental.
- Modern Zone Run Blocking schemes are very difficult for many young DTs to understand.
- Zone Run Blocking forces DLinemen to move laterally. DTs must have great technique/timing vs Zone Blocking.
- Move laterally too quickly and the RB just runs to the spot the DT vacated.
- Move laterally too slowly and the RB hit the hole that the DT was supposed to fill.
- OLinemen often use the momentum of a quick flowing DT to just keep him moving in that direction and the RBs flows to the DTs backside.

Odighi: He has a been a quality 3-tech, but having to play next to limited 1-tech DTs has always limited him.
- He had to play way to many snaps with Gallimore as the othere DT.
We definitely will see more straightforward 4-3 than with Quinn. The only question in my mind is how much we'll see Parsons at linebacker.

I think Mazi's main issue is the same one he had in college. He's slow to react to the snap, which gives the OL the upper hand. Explosiveness and power are not an issue, which is why they drafted him, but if you are a tick late moving, then the OL is on the move and engaging you before you can explode.

Odig is a good 3-tech. He may be the closest we've had in a long time to what you need at the position, but to truly drive this style of defense, you need a player there who can dominate down after down, and I can't say he's that guy.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Kendricks as the Green Dot LB will make the LB next to him better.

Clark had to become the Green Dot once Vander Esch was out.
- It was too much for a 2nd year player that had only play 10 games as a rookie with 5 starts.

Vander Esch had progressed as the Green Dot, but was never on the same level of game knowledge / instincts as Kendricks has been in his career.
It certainly may help Clark. The less younger linebackers have to think, the better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Clark is listed as 240 lbs .. that's bigger than even notable, (far better) LBs in NFL

Fred Warner - 232 lbs

Roquan Smith 236 lbs

Lavonta David 233 lbs

Dre Greenlaw, 233 lbs

My biggest issue with Clark is not that instinctive and doesn't have a knack for big plays.
He doesn't have the knack for big plays because he has stiff hips, so he's unable to mirror the ball carrier.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Ahh.the Jaylon Smith special.
No, you have that mixed up. The Jaylon Smith special is when you react too slowly to the play, move too slow to get into the hole, watch the RB go right past you, follow the play at what can be described as a "quick jog", and then celebrate like you've won the Super Bowl when the safety makes the tackle.

conner01

Reaction score
225-240 pound guys are always gonna lose against 300-320 pound guys. With the lack of a true NT to shield the LBs, Dallas’ LBs have no chance.
That’s why mazi need to gain back his weight and learn to play a true NT position. He’s a plugger not a penetrating player

conner01

Reaction score
He doesn't have the knack for big plays because he has stiff hips, so he's unable to mirror the ball carrier.
Instincts are the key at LB. The best ones read and react very quickly

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The Guards were already on him because our Dline was too busy shooting gaps….
I would draft T'Vondre Sweat and pair him with a 340 Lb Mazi. Play them head up on guards on 1st and 2nd downs and let these lbs eat.

chagus

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, out first "good news" of the offseason.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I have been kind of counting Clark out, but I could see him being the weakside linebacker on early downs, with Kendricks in the middle and Parsons at strongside, then giving way to Overshown (depending on his development on passing downs), with Bell being the other passing down linebacker.

My concern for all of them is what we'll have in front of them. I like Odighizuwa, and would be really happy if he was part of a rotation at 3-tech with the type of stud we need at the position (and aren't going to get). But the jury is still way out on Mazi. If he's constantly on skis, the linebackers will have a hard time dodging offensive linemen.
Clark is the biggest LB and you want him at will linebacker?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Clark is the biggest LB and you want him at will linebacker?
If we're in a three-linebacker set, I assume that Parsons is playing linebacker. If so, he's the biggest linebacker. Plus, I think we'll play him on the strong side and move him around as the chess piece. Kendricks already has talked about playing the middle.

If Parsons isn't playing linebacker in 4-3 sets, then I would think that Clark would be SLB and Overshown will be WLB ... unless we add another linebacker.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Surprising to see Clark grading so high. But numbers alone don't tell the whole story. Where was Clark when the boys couldn't stop the run?