Clayton : Winners and Losers

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigWillie;2056234 said:
Honestly, most mocks had him going to us based simply off the Arkansas connection.

I'm hard pressed to find any guy besides Kiper who went out of his way to compliment Felix based on the fact they legitimately thought he was a top player in this draft.

Once again Goose had him rated as the 21st best player in the draft in his top 100 rankings.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;2056111 said:
I don't see any mention of how great that 2nd round backup TE pick was.

Mendenhall would have been a great pick, I can deal with Felix.

That TE pick just disgusts me.

I had heard nothing but good things about the TE the Cowboys picked. It was also a need position. Fasano was just traded.

TheBeheader31

Reaction score
ninja;2056252 said:
I had heard nothing but good things about the TE the Cowboys picked. It was also a need position. Fasano was just traded.
We already have two more than capable back up TE's in Curtis and Hannah. TE may have been a position that we wanted to address but don't do it in the SECOND ROUND! :bang2:

BigWillie

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2056248 said:
Once again Goose had him rated as the 21st best player in the draft in his top 100 rankings.

As has been said many times over, Goose bases his rankings off of what others tell him. If the Cowboys had told him they have him rated highly on their draft board, he has every reason to put them higher up.

But as far as these analysts (Mayock, McShay, etc.,) no one went out of their way to blow up Felix. They have only did so after the fact, besides Kiper.

adamknite

Reaction score
I think the Chiefs did a lot to advance their team in this draft. They really played it well.

But I also think the same about us, we filled needs without reaching. That's the key part to me.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2056248 said:

People are having a hard time understanding this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adamknite;2056369 said:
I think the Chiefs did a lot to advance their team in this draft. They really played it well.

But I also think the same about us, we filled needs without reaching. That's the key part to me.
One comment about the Chiefs draft. Yes, it was the best out there today but one reason it was better than ours is they had earlier picks for all 3 times they did pick.

Not discounting their day at all.

adamknite

Reaction score
Hostile;2056386 said:
One comment about the Chiefs draft. Yes, it was the best out there today but one reason it was better than ours is they had earlier picks for all 3 times they did pick.

Not discounting their day at all.

Oh sorry, I wasn't really comparing it to ours, I was just commending them on a well played draft. I'd say in comparison on where we picked and where they picked, we had just as good of a draft. I probably should have worded that better.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
ninja;2056252 said:

Thats the problem. The TE position did just fine last year. If they had not traded Fasano, it wouldn't have been a position of need.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Hostile;2056202 said:
Same here. Said he had him as one of the top 21 players in this Draft.
So did Goose Gosselin. Mayock likes him as well.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The Jenkins and Bennett picks were great IMO, and have no problem with either

However, the Jones pick will forever baffle me. We picked him over Mendenhall because we thought he complimented Barber better, even though Mendenhall was rated much higher on our draft board?

Jerry Jones basically admitted we intentionally drafted a career backup because he was a good kick returner and compliment to a guy who we don't even know for sure is a franchise back yet? Makes no sense. You take the best runner available there, period.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Not really. Witten is obviously a Pro Bowler and one of the best in the business. Fasano, a Parcells draft choice, basically brought nothing to the table. He doesn't fit our offense. The TE is an integral part of our passing game and Fasano doesn't fit it. That's why they traded him. It's not that he isn't good, he simply doesn't fit what we do in Garrett's offense. The TE we drafted today is apparently very athletic and a terrific receiver. We simply made a pick that fits what we want to do on offense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2056411 said:

However, the Jones pick will forever baffle me. We picked him over Mendenhall because we thought he complimented Barber better, even though Mendenhall was rated much higher on our draft board?

Jerry Jones basically admitted we intentionally drafted a career backup because he was a good kick returner and compliment to a guy who we don't even know for sure is a franchise back yet? Makes no sense. You take the best runner available there, period.

you forget that he also said we took Felix Jones because he could do alot w/ him and he's a game-breaker

2 things you can't say about Mendenhall

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2056425 said:
you forget that he also said we took Felix Jones because he could do alot w/ him and he's a game-breaker

2 things you can't say about Mendenhall

Someone didnt watch the Rose Bowl

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2056411 said:

I think it's flawed logic as well.

You look at the league's top running duos, and it's usually based on two No. 1 talents just happening to share carries. The scat-back, speciality types rarely contribute enough to be viewed in such a light.

Hopefully, Jones is so good in his role the pick will work. But I'm skeptical. Sure looks like we passed on a guy with a much higher ceiling for a role player, and it's a strategy that's difficult to support.

Jones is a solid prospect, but looks less solid when compared to Mendenhall.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adamknite;2056392 said:
Oh sorry, I wasn't really comparing it to ours, I was just commending them on a well played draft. I'd say in comparison on where we picked and where they picked, we had just as good of a draft. I probably should have worded that better.
I know you didn't. It just struck me that as people praised their draft for the picks they got they never mentioned how high the picks were. Doesn't change anything though. They still drafted great.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2056429 said:
Someone didnt watch the Rose Bowl

That was his longest run of the year easily, Felix Jones had 3 for 70 yards or more in half the carries.

Mendenhall had explosion but nothing like Felix Jones displayed.

Illinois also lost that game by more than 30 sot here were probably not a lot of folks watching.
:)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RainMan;2056430 said:
I think it's flawed logic as well.

You look at the league's top running duos, and it's usually based on two No. 1 talents just happening to share carries. The scat-back, speciality types rarely contribute enough to be viewed in such a light.

Hopefully, Jones is so good in his role the pick will work. But I'm skeptical. Sure looks like we passed on a guy with a much higher ceiling for a role player, and it's a strategy that's difficult to support.

Jones is a solid prospect, but looks less solid when compared to Mendenhall.

Do you have any stats or examples of these running back duos???

It would be an interesting study.

I'd say the first key is having two guys who are willing to share the load without pouting such that it affects their play.

Off the top of my head LT and Turner come to mind but Turner was a top flight kickoff return guy and nicknamed burner because of his raw speed.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
Hostile;2056432 said:
I know you didn't. It just struck me that as people praised their draft for the picks they got they never mentioned how high the picks were. Doesn't change anything though. They still drafted great.
Also keep in mind what they had to give up to draft that early. Like you said, however, it doesn't change the fact that KC had a great day 1.