Cleats in the Rams game

J12B

Reaction score
Seen a few posts on this board referring to how the Cowboys cleats were not the proper ones for the field conditions in last Saturday's game against the Rams.

Has there been anything to confirm that the players were playing with the wrong cleats on?

I remember in the game on back to back plays Malik Collins literally falling down/slipping after taking two steps in the pass rush. Seemed like the entire game the Cowboys defense was one or two steps slower, which would make sense why they could not stop the run. AT ALL.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Poor fitting shoes were blamed for all the ankle injuries during the off season, so it only makes sense to be undone by bad footwear in the post season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I can not believe that a professional and storied team like the Dallas Cowboys would not carry different sizes in cleats in case cleat changes had to be made at any time during the game? They new the weather and field conditions days before arriving, so why weren't they prepared? This is totally inexcusable! Someone should be fired because of this.

I remember way back in the 80s when I was in high school, the trainers and water boys always carried bags of extra sets of different size of cleats for any time any player needed better footing before or during the game. For the Cowboys not to be prepared is absolutely unexcusable, especially if that's what contributed to them losing the game.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I can not believe that a professional and storied team like the Dallas Cowboys would not carry different sizes in cleats in case cleat changes had to be made at any time during the game? They new the weather and field conditions days before arriving, so why weren't they prepared? This is totally inexcusable! Someone should be fired because of this.

I remember way back in the 80s when I was in high school, the trainers and water boys always carried bags of extra sets of different size of cleats for any time any player needed better footing before or during the game. For the Cowboys not to be prepared is absolutely unexcusable, especially if that's what contributed to them losing the game.

This is also the same team that can't figure out when to close the curtains in their own stadium.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, the trainers had the 5/8 cleats, which apparently are the longest you can wear (Broaddus confirmed). I think it took acceleration away from the players because it was sticking to the ground so much more than they're used to
Understood. So why didn't the trainers have the players' cleats changed back to the shorter ones?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Either way the rams were the superior team. I mean the game really wasnt that close.

Still an unbelievable issue to have lol

Accident waiting to happen is always real

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They carry shoes with different length cleats to the games. Especially playoff games when they know in advance there is going to be significant rain.

This is probably just Jerry reporting what a couple of players told him about their feet slipping. Of course their feet were slipping. It was muddy.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
All teams carry a storage box with different size cleat inserts when playing on grass

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Either way the rams were the superior team. I mean the game really wasnt that close.

Still an unbelievable issue to have lol

Accident waiting to happen is always real

Its an excuse.

To cover for Marinelli...

Who would NOT get us out of 4-2-5 Nick.

Flamma

Reaction score
Seen a few posts on this board referring to how the Cowboys cleats were not the proper ones for the field conditions in last Saturday's game against the Rams.

Has there been anything to confirm that the players were playing with the wrong cleats on?

I remember in the game on back to back plays Malik Collins literally falling down/slipping after taking two steps in the pass rush. Seemed like the entire game the Cowboys defense was one or two steps slower, which would make sense why they could not stop the run. AT ALL.

If the ground is wet and muddy enough you're still going to slip. Cleats help. But they're not turning a muddy field into dry grass conditions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Home field mud for the Rams. Maybe Jerry should water down the turf for home games...home field wet rubber pellets...But tell his players to wear the correct non slip shoes...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Plenty of breakdowns have been posted as to why they couldn't stop the run - dumb defensive strategy against what the Rams were doing.

Cleats make a convenient excuse as most players have more than one type available and can change any time. The Rams didn't have any problem stopping Zeke.