Cleats in the Rams game

lukin2006

Reaction score
Perhaps if you are resorting to blaming your footwear for getting your butt handed to you, perhaps it time the clown owner steps aside for some competence. This loss is squarely on the lousy coaching staff.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Are the outdoor practice fields at The Star actually grass, or are they outdoor turf? If turf, why didn't Jerry lease out a farmer's farmland big enough to lay down a football field size lines, then wet it down plenty enough to get it muddy. Then have had the team practice there 2 days out of the week prior to the Rams playoff game. Wouldn't this have best helped the team get ready to playing on the Rams muddy field?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are the outdoor practice fields at The Star actually grass, or are they outdoor turf? If turf, why didn't Jerry lease out a farmer's farmland big enough to lay down a football field size lines, then wet it down plenty enough to get it muddy. Then have had the team practice there 2 days out of the week prior to the Rams playoff game. Wouldn't this have best helped the team get ready to playing on the Rams muddy field?

It is turf. but there are many cow pastures within a few minutes drive.

Players can get an extra workout avoiding cow patties.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I took it as Jerry saying something sarcastic to reporters so they would have something to write about while they interview coaches.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I can not believe that a professional and storied team like the Dallas Cowboys would not carry different sizes in cleats in case cleat changes had to be made at any time during the game? They new the weather and field conditions days before arriving, so why weren't they prepared? This is totally inexcusable! Someone should be fired because of this.

I remember way back in the 80s when I was in high school, the trainers and water boys always carried bags of extra sets of different size of cleats for any time any player needed better footing before or during the game. For the Cowboys not to be prepared is absolutely unexcusable, especially if that's what contributed to them losing the game.

Dude, worst then that, no need to carry 50 pairs of cleated shoes, Does anyone remember watching the trainers removing the cleats from Emmitt's shoes, and changing them out DURING the game? I damn well do....they make cleats that are screwed on, and are INTERCHANGABLE for whatever the conditions are. A grass field as we all know, after hell 1 qtr of play becomes a slop run in the middle of the field. So 1 set won't work as the game wears on the conditions get worst. What this sorry no good excuse for a coaching staff should have done, was make these guys PRACTICE on a grass field of the same or close to what they would be on in LA...but then that requires a HC who actually knows what the hell he's doing.

wecasa

Reaction score
Are the outdoor practice fields at The Star actually grass, or are they outdoor turf? If turf, why didn't Jerry lease out a farmer's farmland big enough to lay down a football field size lines, then wet it down plenty enough to get it muddy. Then have had the team practice there 2 days out of thtghe week prior to the Rams playoff game. Wouldn't this have best helped the team get ready to playing on the Rams muddy field?
There is 1 of each. A grass field and artificial. Both outdoors. Plus the ford center that's indoors. Most teams have at least 2 practice fields. Ive seen KC's practice facility and they have the same set up minus the shopping malls. KC still has a grass home field. Washington is the only one in the NFCE that does, so they at least have 1 opportunity at the natural surface. This season they played on grass just 2 times. Carolina and Washington. Both before the bye. I'm surprised Jer didn't mention it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The Cowboys equipment staff isn't so incompetent as to not bring enough or the right type of cleats. Sean Lee said in his weekly Ticket interview that he wore 7-cleat shoes and the footing wasn't an issue in the game.

Please don't believe Jerry the Snake Oil Salesman when he offers up these ridiculous excuses.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys equipment staff isn't so incompetent as to not bring enough or the right type of cleats. Sean Lee said in his weekly Ticket interview that he wore 7-cleat shoes and the footing wasn't an issue in the game.

Please don't believe Jerry the Snake Oil Salesman when he offers up these ridiculous excuses.

It’s always great heading into an offseason watching Jerry try to spin why his hand picked, next Tom Landry, didn’t get the job done.

But now, he’s turned to equipment excuses which might indicate he’s soon to run out of any excuse.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They could have been changed at halftime if the players were complaining. They simply didn’t play Defense and I was frankly very shocked at the performance considering the effort they put out to get to that point.

J12B

Reaction score
If the ground is wet and muddy enough you're still going to slip. Cleats help. But they're not turning a muddy field into dry grass conditions.

It just seemed like Rams players did not have a problem at all

Flamma

Reaction score
It just seemed like Rams players did not have a problem at all

Maybe they play better on mud than we do. It's their field after all. Whenever you play on wet grass or mud the cleats will help but you still have to know your limitations. If the Cowboys are running around out there like they're playing at home on dry turf, then yeah, they're going to slip sometimes, cleats or no cleats.

sideon

Reaction score
This story doesn't give them an excuse, it just makes them even more embarrassing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seen a few posts on this board referring to how the Cowboys cleats were not the proper ones for the field conditions in last Saturday's game against the Rams.

Has there been anything to confirm that the players were playing with the wrong cleats on?

I remember in the game on back to back plays Malik Collins literally falling down/slipping after taking two steps in the pass rush. Seemed like the entire game the Cowboys defense was one or two steps slower, which would make sense why they could not stop the run. AT ALL.

I noticed the Cowboys players (especially DLine) slipping more than the Rams players.

I noticed this before hearing anyone else mention it.

They've had similar issues in the past including at home on Jerry World turf.

They also blamed shoes for some injuries in a story this past offseason.

Longer cleats significantly increase the risk of injury (foot "sticks" in the ground when hit).

Longer cleats also make players slower and less agile.

I don't think it was a huge issue but I did see it.

It's not the reason they lost but it does add to the concept that the loss was on the coaches/management.

As I said in another thread, I think the Cowboys had more overall talent on the field than the Rams in regards to players; however, the Rams coaches were far better prepared.

The Rams equipment guys or whoever picked the shoes were also more prepared.

The Rams trainers and/or strength and conditioning coaches might be better also. None of their 5 starting OLinemen missed a start this season.

I think guys like Tyron might be lifting too heavy and/or too often. The Cowboys have a lot of players with back issues. Doing squats with huge weight is eventually going to cause some players to have back problems.