Cleveland's 2008 1st Round Pick ....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Like theogt said, they aren't nearly this good without Anderson playing like he is, and *no one* saw Anderson doing it. Even the Browns themselves didn't -- obviously not, since they traded for the rights to Quinn. And then coin-flipped for starter at QB in the preseason, and Frye won the job.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1780387 said:
You're acting as though Anderson's having a pro bowl type season when he isn't. Pretty good year but a lot of that is on others around him making plays and him not screwing it up.

Remember, I thought the Browns had a chance to be a 9 win team and fringe playoff contender.
He might not make the Pro Bowl, but that's because he's in the AFC. Brady and Manning are locks and Roethlisberger is having a spectacular season.

Football Outsiders' formula ranks Anderson as the 4th best QB in the league this season.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Biggems;1780186 said:
why did Miami draft Beck? I mean even though they stunk, they let him sit and sit and sit. Lemon is a lifer as a backup, he is not a starter. They should have been playing Beck ever since the week following the Houston game, when Green was injured.....or at least started him the week following the Bye.
I heard the reason Beck wasn't starting as soon as Green went out was for the basics. He was having problems taking the snap from the C, and getting the hand-off to the RB.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1780387 said:
You're acting as though Anderson's having a pro bowl type season when he isn't. Pretty good year but a lot of that is on others around him making plays and him not screwing it up.

Remember, I thought the Browns had a chance to be a 9 win team and fringe playoff contender.

... have you looked a Derek Anderson's numbers compared to the other guys in the NFC? He's playing as well as Carson Palmer right now. The only reason he may not go to the probowl is because Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger (and Carton Palmer) are in his division. And what does a QB do but give his players a chance to make plays? Romo isn't throwing the ball and catching it himself for a TD.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1780398 said:
I seem to recall somebody named Tony Romo who spent 4 years on the bench before finally getting his chance. Romo wasn't ready as a rookie and maybe Beck isn't either.

I had Beck rated very, very high last draft. He comes in mature and is as ready as any Rookie to start. He will make that team better in 2008:)

Marktui

Reaction score
Well, it might not be the number one pick or top ten. But its still 2 first round picks, which I will gladly take anytime. Who knows, someone might fall to us, or we try and package a deal to get up into the top ten. Im sure teams like Miami, Jets or whoever wouldn't mind stockpiling picks because they know that they are not just one player away from being good.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Biggems;1780383 said:
I'd really feel good about this mock:
WR Bowman
CB Talib / Jenkins / Ikegwuonu
RB Kevin Smith

Doubt Talib lasts till our pick but i'd be thrilled. Smith has been shooting up boards so it'll be interesting to see if he's around in the 60's Right now my day 1 mock goes like this(if we keep every pick)

1. CB Talib
1. RB Rice
2.WR/ST Avery
3. NT Bryant

I seriously doubt Bryant will be around that low, but i can wish.

gbrittain

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1780334 said:
If they wanted to punish the Patriots, they should have been forced to draft #1 overall.

Add an ego and huge cap number to that team.....that's not how they were built. Do you think that some of their star players would like an unproven rookie quadrupling their salary?

Unless a team wants a LT or QB, neither of which the Patriots need, picking first is death.

I see what you are saying, but I do not agree.

They can always trade down, if they do not feel a player is worth it. I know you have to have a trade partner, but a premium pick like the #2 pick overall can be traded eventhough you may not get the value you think it should be.

What the Patriots will probably do is turn that #2 into multiple picks over the next few years and we will all be wondering how they keep stock piling talent.

Like it or not the #2 pick is a valuable pick...use it on a player or to draft multiples of players.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;1780445 said:
Doubt Talib lasts till our pick but i'd be thrilled. Smith has been shooting up boards so it'll be interesting to see if he's around in the 60's Right now my day 1 mock goes like this(if we keep every pick)

1. CB Talib
1. RB Rice
2.WR/ST Avery
3. NT Bryant

I seriously doubt Bryant will be around that low, but i can wish.

I don't see us taking a NT the first day...

Big Dakota

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1780498 said:

That's very possible, if the Tank situation works out. Still Bryant is a big time NT prospect and a great leader.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;1780445 said:
Doubt Talib lasts till our pick but i'd be thrilled. Right now my day 1 mock goes like this

1. CB Talib
Note to everyone: KU vs. Missouri this Saturday night on ABC.

This kid is really something to see.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dalboy;1780205 said:
They did need anderson but that brings up the depate about brady quinn or derek anderson. which one is the future and what will happen in the future.

personally I would keep Anderson, but they gave up alot to get Brady, so he's the future there

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain;1780484 said:
I see what you are saying, but I do not agree.

They can always trade down, if they do not feel a player is worth it. I know you have to have a trade partner, but a premium pick like the #2 pick overall can be traded eventhough you may not get the value you think it should be.

What the Patriots will probably do is turn that #2 into multiple picks over the next few years and we will all be wondering how they keep stock piling talent.

Like it or not the #2 pick is a valuable pick...use it on a player or to draft multiples of players.

top 10 teams are finding it harder, and harder, getting takers for trade-downs

remember Washington kept trying to trade down from #6?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1780640 said:
personally I would keep Anderson, but they gave up alot to get Brady, so he's the future there
Anderson's the future there. They won't let him go. Brady will sit for another year or two and then be traded away. Surely they're not dumb enough to repeat the Rivers/Brees mistake.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1780657 said:
Anderson's the future there. They won't let him go. Brady will sit for another year or two and then be traded away. Surely they're not dumb enough to repeat the Rivers/Brees mistake.

sucks for the Browns, at least Brady's contract wasn't like River's

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1780498 said:

we wont........

the 3rd round is now officially the second day.

the 1st day is only 2 rounds now.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1780649 said:
top 10 teams are finding it harder, and harder, getting takers for trade-downs

remember Washington kept trying to trade down from #6?

I do not doubt that. I would take into account two things.

1. #2 Overall is more valuable than the #6 overall. Of course it is possible that there are no takers, but not likely.

2. There may be no takers because of the asking price in terms of picks. Some teams no doubt want the world in return for their valuable pick.

Not saying there is not some truth to the argument, but you will have a hard time convincing me top 10 picks are not worth much anymore and no one really wants them.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
gbrittain;1780764 said:
I do not doubt that. I would take into account two things.

1. #2 Overall is more valuable than the #6 overall. Of course it is possible that there are no takers, but not likely.

2. There may be no takers because of the asking price in terms of picks. Some teams no doubt want the world in return for their valuable pick.

Not saying there is not some truth to the argument, but you will have a hard time convincing me top 10 picks are not worth much anymore and no one really wants them.

They are worth less nowadays due in large part to the signing bonuses paid to these kids who have done nothing in the NFL. Romo and JaMarcus Russell got similar cash up front. Can you imagine giving guys like Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long or Calais Campbell 20-30 million dollar signing bonuses? No thanks! If it's not a QB or big time RB i'm not in favor of having a top 5 pick. Even WR's,LT's, CBs and pass rushers scare me in the top 5. Now when you get down around 11 where we took Ware, it starts to get more reasonable. That famous draft chart the Cowboys had made and the entire NFL has been using for almost 20 years is out dated and Jerry has said so. Few want to trade away an entire draft for the rights to move up into the top 5 and pay 30 million up front.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1780788 said:
They are worth less nowadays due in large part to the signing bonuses paid to these kids who have done nothing in the NFL. Romo and JaMarcus Russell got similar cash up front. Can you imagine giving guys like Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long or Calais Campbell 20-30 million dollar signing bonuses? No thanks! If it's not a QB or big time RB i'm not in favor of having a top 5 pick. Even WR's,LT's, CBs and pass rushers scare me in the top 5. Now when you get down around 11 where we took Ware, it starts to get more reasonable. That famous draft chart the Cowboys had made and the entire NFL has been using for almost 20 years is out dated and Jerry has said so. Few want to trade away an entire draft for the rights to move up into the top 5 and pay 30 million up front.

I do not disagree with that. I agree that the draft chart is probably somewhat dated now.

What I am saying is that I believe the top picks still have value. Lets just say the #1 pick overall used to be worth in the range of 3000 points, well lets just say you had the #1 pick overall and you were not interested in keeping it. Would you settle for 1500 points instead?

My contention is the pick still has value, maybe not as much but it still has value.

I guess Dallas could offer any of the teams in the top 10 a bag of peanuts for one of those picks and not expect serious laughter in exchange. If what you are saying true it would be really easy to trade up into the top of the round. We know that is not the case because teams want a nice ransom in return. To me that indicates the top picks still have premium value.