Cleveland's 2008 1st Round Pick ....

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Everyone obsessing over Cleveland's pick should stop worrying about the pick and just let it play out.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want a top 10 pick, (who wouldn't?), but there are numerous examples of better players being taken in the teens and 20's just because of the way guys are slotted. Obviously Emmitt is the prime Cowboy example, but you can look at Marvin Harrison as an example of a guy who was not slotted high enough to go in the top 10 but it fell perfectly for the Colts who were picking in the teens. The Colts also got Bob Sanders in the late first round.

But an example closer to home I believe is Ed Reed. Reed was a great player in college but his measureables pushed him down the draft board. He ended up being taken in the 20s after we took Roy Williams in the top 10. How would Ed Reed look on this defense right now instead of Roy Williams?

gbrittain

Reaction score
I can deal with Dallas not getting a top 10 pick, but chaps my hide to no end is the possibility of the Patriots ending up with the #2 overall. That is just plain sick.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
gbrittain;1780314 said:
I can deal with Dallas not getting a top 10 pick, but chaps my hide to no end is the possibility of the Patriots ending up with the #2 overall. That is just plain sick.
after losing there pick because of cheating

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivers has stunk it up this year. I bet mr genius Gm White is regretting keeping his pick (Rivers) while letting go Brees. Between that and running off Marty and picking Norv he really is on a streak.

gbrittain

Reaction score
dalboy;1780317 said:
after losing there pick because of cheating

Exactly. How hard would it have been for the commish to take both #1s or at least take their highest #1 pick.

Some kind of punishment. You are going to be without your #31 pick overall (They lose the SuperBowl to Dallas), but you can still have the 49ers pick which could be #2 overall. :rolleyes:

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
gbrittain;1780321 said:
Exactly. How hard would it have been for the commish to take both #1s or at least take their highest #1 pick.

Some kind of punishment. You are going to be without your #31 pick overall (They lose the SuperBowl to Dallas), but you can still have the 49ers pick which could be #2 overall. :rolleyes:

If they wanted to punish the Patriots, they should have been forced to draft #1 overall.

Add an ego and huge cap number to that team.....that's not how they were built. Do you think that some of their star players would like an unproven rookie quadrupling their salary?

Unless a team wants a LT or QB, neither of which the Patriots need, picking first is death.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;1780316 said:
I would. I doubt Anderson himself even expected it.

I expected it am on record as having said so. Whoever won that QB battle was going to have a pretty good year. Really solid line, explosive playmakers and a dependable RB.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1780334 said:
If they wanted to punish the Patriots, they should have been forced to draft #1 overall.

Add an ego and huge cap number to that team.....that's not how they were built. Do you think that some of their star players would like an unproven rookie quadrupling their salary?

Unless a team wants a LT or QB, neither of which the Patriots need, picking first is death.

but what avout the dolphins (since they will have the first pick) they'll just get pushed to #2???

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
gbrittain;1780321 said:

Losing a #1, any #1, is harsh. Would you be ok losing even the 32nd pick this year?

Better yet, just imagine if it came out that Jerry had been slipping banned substances into the Gatorade in 2004 and so they took away our pick in the 2005 draft. Imagine trading away the possiblity to pick up Steven Jackson in 2004, but also miss out on Demarcus Ware the following year.

The Patriots didn't just get handed a first rounder, they had to trade something away to get it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1780342 said:
I expected it am on record as having said so. Whoever won that QB battle was going to have a pretty good year. Really solid line, explosive playmakers and a dependable RB.
Frye won the battle. But played horribly in the regular season. If they would have stayed with Frye, they'd be 0-8. It's not about the line and receivers, etc. Anderson is good on his own and no one could have predicted he'd take that huge leap forward.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I think it was wishful thinking we'd get DMac. He's the ONLY guy in the top 5 i'd want to pay. If we can't have DMac i'd just as soon the pick be in the 20's. I'll take any one of these guys with the Cleveland pick.

Stewart
Slaton
Rice
Jackson
Kelly
Hardy
Bowman
Jenkins
Talib
Cason
Ikegwuonu
Jenkins
And maybe 2 or 3 other CBs

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Maybe off topic a bit ,but the penalty that The pats got for spygate was ridiculous ,:mad:losing the're 1st pick but still keeping S.F.'s.

They should have lost ANY 1st picks.

JMO you understand.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
CNY Cowboy;1780367 said:
Maybe off topic a bit ,but the penalty that The pats got for spygate was ridiculous ,:mad:losing the're 1st pick but still keeping S.F.'s.

They should have lost ANY 1st picks.

JMO you understand.

What the commish should have done is said what ever pick ends up being the better pick was the one they'd lose. The fine meant nothing to anyone. Not really a penalty at all.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1780364 said:
I think it was wishful thinking we'd get DMac. He's the ONLY guy in the top 5 i'd want to pay. If we can't have DMac i'd just as soon the pick be in the 20's. I'll take any one of these guys with the Cleveland pick.

Stewart
Slaton
Rice
Jackson
Kelly
Hardy
Bowman
Jenkins
Talib
Cason
Ikegwuonu
Jenkins
And maybe 2 or 3 other CBs

I'd really feel good about this mock:
WR Bowman
CB Talib / Jenkins / Ikegwuonu
RB Kevin Smith

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;1780347 said:
Frye won the battle. But played horribly in the regular season. If they would have stayed with Frye, they'd be 0-8. It's not about the line and receivers, etc. Anderson is good on his own and no one could have predicted he'd take that huge leap forward.

You're acting as though Anderson's having a pro bowl type season when he isn't. Pretty good year but a lot of that is on others around him making plays and him not screwing it up.

Remember, I thought the Browns had a chance to be a 9 win team and fringe playoff contender.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggems;1780186 said:
why did Miami draft Beck? I mean even though they stunk, they let him sit and sit and sit. Lemon is a lifer as a backup, he is not a starter. They should have been playing Beck ever since the week following the Houston game, when Green was injured.....or at least started him the week following the Bye.
I seem to recall somebody named Tony Romo who spent 4 years on the bench before finally getting his chance. Romo wasn't ready as a rookie and maybe Beck isn't either.